• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 105
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

Jerusha humbly thanks Evie for not blowing up the characters from St. Valentine's Feast.  I may need some of them again.   ;)

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Since you mentioned Loris, Bynw, it occurs to me that the Mearan separatists would revere him as a Saint,  unjustly martyred as he was in the failed war of independence. His cult would not long survive Valerian's victory but in the meantime the latter would surely encourage anything that feeds hatred of the Haldane pretender.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

It wasn't me. Evie mentioned him in her post! It's not my fault :)
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on May 11, 2018, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: DerynifanK on May 11, 2018, 12:30:41 PM
Actually, according to DR''s fanfic Kenwood  Calder died in a fall from a horse in 1138 and Stephen de Varnay became Earl of Scheele,

True, but even though seeing nods to previous fanfiction is nice, trying to keep strict adherence to all the details of every fanfic written on this forum thus far would be really intimidating, not to mention probably contradictions would probably happen anyway. I don't recall every small detail of my own stories anymore, let alone everyone else's!  So if Kenwood dies in one fanfic but is still alive and well decades later in another one, I don't really see that as a major thing.  (Now contradictions with canon would be another story! I really don't want to see Archbishop Loris making a comeback in Ghosts of the Past!)

I tend to think of the fanfic stories as being set in alternate universes to the canonical one, and sometimes even alternate to other fanfic writers' imaginings.  In my mind it's something like the multidimensional universe in that old TV show "Sliders," where the show's characters kept "Sliding" from one alternate version of Earth to the next, trying to return home to their own Earth of origin. Some of the Earths they ended up on were almost identical to their own, with only some tiny divergence in the historical timeline making a small but noticeable change.  Other Earths were wildly different because of some major historical detail got changed, forever altering that particular world's future and making it radically different from our own. So that sort of way of looking at it allows the Future Gwynedd of Balance of Power to co-exist with Jerusha's excellent story St. Valentine's Feast, even though the events in those two stories so contradict each other that it would be impossible to try to dovetail them into the same universe's Gwynedd.  (I actually considered it at first, until I realized that would not only mean blowing up most of Jerusha's characters to Kingdom Come, which she might not really appreciate, but I'd also have to change my own story idea beyond all recognition to make it all work out.)

So Stefan is fine with Kenwood surviving in this particular AU; that just means he doesn't have to spend his time constantly traveling between Sheele and Kestrel Mote!  ;D

I just reread Jerusha's Fall from Grace, (I so love that story Jerusha, I remember you were in the middle of posting that story when I first found this website. It was what made me want to join up.) Now I  realized we have another alternate universe discrepancy. I personally will take Jerusha's version of Alaric and Teymuraz's duel arcane in which Alaric survived. Much better outcome in that Sliders episode. I had mis-remembered the events from Fall from Grace as being years before the horrific war stated by bynw at the beginning of GotP. But now I realized the two duel arcanes, which happened between Alaric and Teymuraz, were only a year apart from each other. FfG was in the Spring of 1143 and GotP was in spring of 1144. I really really wish there was a way to make the two stories mesh together. I for one like it when everyone's stories make a cohesive overall story. The two stories fit together really well in every way but this one duel arcane. Not that I would change FfG in any way mind you. What I do love is that the dragon gave Alaric the foresight to make amends with all the people he loved and to let Kelric become the responsible man that he needed to be. Now if we can just figure out (or Not) how we had two Teymuraz's :P
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Bynw on May 12, 2018, 09:41:51 AM

Bynw, that excuse:: "It wasn't me, it was Ev(i)e,"  is no more plausible than when Adam first made it.😆
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on May 11, 2018, 01:24:38 PM

I really don't want to see Archbishop Loris making a comeback in Ghosts of the Past!)

But Evie did write this, not me. I just remarked that it would be fun to have Loris around still. He would be such a pain.

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on May 12, 2018, 02:04:43 PM
Quote from: Bynw on May 12, 2018, 09:41:51 AM

Bynw, that excuse:: "It wasn't me, it was Ev(i)e,"  is no more plausible than when Adam first made it.😆

LOL!  love it!
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Thank you Revanne. Don'T think I could stand a resurrection  of Loris.k
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

Fortunately we have to go with established canon presented by Herself. So only one has been resurrected in the world of the Deryni, and that was the Son of God. So Loris is certainly not a candidate for it.

Jerusha

I would not worry about the two stories not meshing completely.  It would be too constraining if everything has to match up.  I didn't realize the timeframes were so close.  I could never bring myself to kill off Alaric, but living forever is not an option.

Lord Jaxom, of course, is open for discussion.   ;D  Though he might do something heroic first.  Or not.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Bynw on May 12, 2018, 03:45:41 PM
Fortunately we have to go with established canon presented by Herself. So only one has been resurrected in the world of the Deryni, and that was the Son of God. So Loris is certainly not a candidate for it.

Or indeed in our world!

I was thinking more of a head-to-head with Camber, one with a smell of sulphur, the other with the smell of incense.  On balance though a bad idea ;-)
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

I wish we could have Jerusha's version with Alaric surviving. That would  be cool.But not two  Teymurazs. One is too many
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

I enjoy having the various fanfics building on each other as it gives a depth and history - more like over-lapping transparencies than sliding universes. Sometimes of course, they stick out in a differing directions and don't stack neatly or make a coherent picture. And of course, to a generally lesser extent that is true of history, the more so the further back one gets. Differing accounts don't tally, sometimes in quite significant ways.

In this case with just a small tweak of the imagination I can think that Jerusha and Bynw's accounts can work together. Temuryaz isn't after all killed by Alaric in their first confrontation, just severly injured and is out for revenge. Alaric seeks Kelson's permission second time round, and is determined not to let his sovereign down. Doesn't work out like that. Lots of room for lovely speculations.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

The more I see of these Mearans  the more I dislike them. Would like to see them eliminated  sooner rather than later, especially  Oswald