• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

"Deryni"-izing the classics.

Started by Elkhound, March 30, 2016, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Mercedes Lackey just wrote a book in her Valdemar universe in which a large part of the plot was essentially "Romeo & Juliette" re-told in Valdemar (but with Juliette surviving.)   Has anyone tried the same thing in the Deryniverse?  (Not specifically that story, but some other "classic" story from Anglo-American literature.)

What about "Jane Eyre"?  If Jane were half-Deryni, it would explain why her aunt Mrs. Reed was so hard on her, particularly if the Reeds were human and we set it in the post-Ramos era.  If Bertha Mason Rochester were a Deryni whose control was completely gone that would explain why she was locked up in the attic, and if Rochester himself were Deryni and trying to repress or hide it. . . ?

"Northanger Abbey."  IIRC, the heroine thinks she's in a Gothic romance and her imagination is conjuring all sorts of wild ideas about what the family she's staying with is like--but in fact they are all perfectly nice people.  What if they were Deryni, and the girl were full of all sorts of silly ideas about what being Deryni were all about?

Other ideas?

revanne

That would work well for Jane Eyre I think and I can just about see it for Northanger Abbey.

In most of Jane Austen's novels it would be played out in love affairs being doomed because one of the parties is/isn't Deryni. I can see it being fine being Deryni in Jane's world just as long as you didn't speak about it or indulge in public displays of one's powers. Maybe Mr Bennett is Deryni and Mrs Bennett isn't - the lack of meeting of minds is what has caused him to withdraw to his books - and by some quirk of genetics of his daughters only Elizabeth has any real Deryni powers.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Quote from: revanne on April 01, 2016, 06:44:31 AM
That would work well for Jane Eyre I think and I can just about see it for Northanger Abbey.

In most of Jane Austen's novels it would be played out in love affairs being doomed because one of the parties is/isn't Deryni. I can see it being fine being Deryni in Jane's world just as long as you didn't speak about it or indulge in public displays of one's powers. Maybe Mr Bennett is Deryni and Mrs Bennett isn't - the lack of meeting of minds is what has caused him to withdraw to his books - and by some quirk of genetics of his daughters only Elizabeth has any real Deryni powers.

If you Deryni-ized "Emma", you might have Emma using her powers to 'lean' on her. . .erm. . . patients, which would explain why Knightly was so upset with her setting people up.  (She wouldn't actually use them to force people together--that would make Emma evil, and she isn't that; but a little 'nudge' would only be a little unethical, and she could probably talk herself into thinking that it really wouldn't be so bad. . . .yes it would, Emma!)

In P&P, do you think that Darcy might be Deryni and trying to repress it?  That might explain why for the first part of the novel he has a stick up his you-know-where.

What about some other plays/novels?

Elkhound

Lackey's latest is to a large extent a Valdemarization of Dorothy L. Sayers' "Gaudy Night".  Which I could see also being Gweneddized.

drakensis

It's been a while since I read that one. Most of Sayers' books (and the Jill Paton Walsh books taking up Lord Peter's later cases) seem fairly era specific so I'm not sure how well they'd fit into Gwynedd.

revanne

Having just reread Gaudy Night, it still reads like a plea for women to be taken seriously as academics and I'm sure reflects some of Dorothy Sayers own struggles in the misogynistic world of academia in the 1930's and 40's. I can see how the theme of the right for women to study seriously might work around the figure, for example, of Richenda and there is always dramatic tension to be got from star-crossed lovers, but I don't quite see how you would set a murder mystery in the Deryniverse.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on October 09, 2016, 03:52:24 PM
Having just reread Gaudy Night, it still reads like a plea for women to be taken seriously as academics and I'm sure reflects some of Dorothy Sayers own struggles in the misogynistic world of academia in the 1930's and 40's. I can see how the theme of the right for women to study seriously might work around the figure, for example, of Richenda and there is always dramatic tension to be got from star-crossed lovers, but I don't quite see how you would set a murder mystery in the Deryniverse.

Don't see why you couldn't have a murder mystery in any universe where there are people to be murdered and some mystery surrounding it.  Just in my story Visionaries, I've got two murder mysteries going on, although admittedly the second one doesn't remain so much of a mystery to the readers for very long, although it takes a while longer for the characters to figure it out.  :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

I take your point. I suppose I was still thinking in terms of Gaudy Night where everything is fairly high status - Lord Peter Wimsey would surely be a high-ranking Deryni - and Mind See would surely be used.

My brain is mush at the moment so I can't think of the book title ( the one before Childe Morgan) but I was also thinking of the occasion when Donal uses Alyce's Deryni powers to solve the murder of his son.

So yes there could be murder/ detective mysteries but I also think that if the murder/mystery involved anyone of high status (again ruling out the Peter Wimsey connection) a lot of the deductive process could be short-circuited by Deryni powers.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Yes and no. What if the suspect is also Deryni, and there is a need for discretion in exercising one's powers?  Perhaps there might be some reason why Mind-Seeing someone or Truth-Reading them (without being detected) would not be in the best interests of the case?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

The late Randall Garrett wrote murder mysteries in a universe where magic worked.  The Lord Darcy stories.

revanne

Someone mentioned those a few months back and I downloaded them onto my Kindle. Magic in that world is very technological and highly structured and controlled, and indeed seems to play the role of advanced technology in ours.

I enjoyed the stories but mainly for the historical "what if". The stories assume that Richard I didn't die of his wounds in 1199, that he married and had children. By the 20th century the Plantagenets are still rulers of the Anglo-French empire which stretches into the New World, as well as being Holy Roman Emperors. Like the Haldanes the Plantagenet genes seem remarkably resistant to being affected by those who marry into the family.

Good fun though.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

I read "Too Many Magicians" years ago and enjoyed it but did not realize there were more novels.  I will now be happily searching Amazon to add more Lord Darcy to my kindle.  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on October 13, 2016, 08:04:17 PM
I read "Too Many Magicians" years ago and enjoyed it but did not realize there were more novels.  I will now be happily searching Amazon to add more Lord Darcy to my kindle.  :)

TMM is the only novel.  The rest are short stories.  All are based, more-or-less, on well-known mystery stories, worked out in that universe.  He twists names around to give hints.  For example, Lord Darcy goes undercover as a priest once, and calls himself "Fr. Armand Brun."  In one story, set in Paris, there is an incompetent French detective called 'Insp. Cougair.'  A master spy is Sir James deLein.  The head of the Sorcerer's Guild is Sir Lyon Gandolphus Grey.  Etc.

Laurna

LOL, Too funny, Now I think I must read these.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on October 10, 2016, 12:31:45 PM
Yes and no. What if the suspect is also Deryni, and there is a need for discretion in exercising one's powers?  Perhaps there might be some reason why Mind-Seeing someone or Truth-Reading them (without being detected) would not be in the best interests of the case?

I sound like I have a crush on Mercedes Lackey, but her Heralds have powers similar to the Deryni, yet she makes mysteries work.  It isn't a matter of the magician waiving his hand and all the rules are suspended, after al!