• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

10 years

Started by Bynw, March 28, 2017, 01:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

It was 10 years ago on March 5th  that Rhemuth Castle was born. Back in 2007 and the years before it, the fans of Katherine Kurtz used a service called Usenet. A decentralized and unmoderated newsgroup posting service. We were under the alt.books.deryni name. And it was great.

But by 2007, the internet was growing, Usenet, being unmoderated, was dying. Spam postings were out of control across the entire Usenet service. Multiple ISPs were pulling the plug on Usenet access. Thus some of our members couldn't access the board at all and those that could had to wade through multiple spam posts on a host of topics unrelated to the Deryni.

We already had, at the time, a monthly chat with Katherine via IRC in #Deryni_Destinations on the OtherWorlders IRC Network. So Bynw thought he would save the posting area as well. And acquired the domain rhemuthcastle.com from another Deryni fan who wasn't using the domain and gave the forum its home.

Here of course we have a centralized data source. A moderated environment with little to no spam at all. Most spammers are stopped before they even enter the forum as members. The last 10 years we have seen members come and go, and that is normal for any large group of fans. We hope everyone would return some day and keep posting.

Ed note: I meant to post this back on the 5th but forgot about it and then got side tracked.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Thank you Bynw, for all your efforts. You have made a great place of retreat for people like me who are avid fans. I have made a lot of friendships here over the last few years.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on March 28, 2017, 02:47:25 PM
Thank you Bynw, for all your efforts. You have made a great place of retreat for people like me who are avid fans. I have made a lot of friendships here over the last few years.

Thanks from me too, to Bynw and to all whose hard work keeps Rhemuth Castle in good repair,. And to all the denizens of this site.  I found it because of my interest in KK's books but have hung around because of the kindliness and grace with which this  forum is conducted; not something that can be always, nor indeed often, said of life online.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)