• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 330
Total: 330
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question on Religious Implications

Started by Bynw, January 20, 2017, 08:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Jeff Meyers asks: asks: I realize this is a very personal question, and I hope I don't offend you, but does the Christian faith as expressed by Joram, Camber, Duncan and Kelson and your other protagonists reflect your own religious beliefs? As a devout Christian myself, Camber's, Joram's, Duncan's, and Kelson's Christianity made them, to me, more personally heroic. By contrast, in your Adept series, Occult, New Age, and Wiccan philosophies have replaced what previously I saw as orthodox Christianity, specifically Roman Catholic. I don't wish to imply any disrespect for any other person's faith or to take away the validity of these beliefs, at all. I am just curious as to know how this trend developed. Would you mind discussing your personal religious beliefs? I do believe it is an interesting topic, and could lead to some excellent discussions on the spirituality of the Deryni.

Katherine Says: It's just another way of looking at relationships with Deity, Jeff—and I would hope that you see Adam as a fairly orthodox Christian in the important things, even if he sometimes works within the context of other faith systems. (Just as it was my intention to show, in Lammas Night, that there are more points in common between Christianity and various occult "takes" on religion than one might first suspect.) "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...."So I would label Adam something of a pragmatist; he uses what works, in what he has to do—and is on cordial terms with his bishop. (His statement about treating past life "memories" "as if" they were real resonates with the way I feel about such things.) Me (to answer your question about my own beliefs)—I'm "officially" Anglican/Church of Ireland, or non-Roman Catholic, or Old Catholic, or an eclectic mixture of all these and other things. Labels can be precarious at best, and are dangerous at worst....
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com