• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Sweet Potato Casserole (a la Evie)

Started by DesertRose, January 03, 2015, 12:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Sweet Potato Casserole

6 medium size sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Topping:
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
(And/or mini marshmallows)

Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.  Let cool to touch; peel and mash.  (NOTE:  You can also cook them in a microwave or oven if preferred.  The important thing is that you need cooked and peeled sweet potatoes to make the casserole.)

Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and 1/2 cup butter; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.  (I just used a whisk and hand mixed it until not quite as smooth as a mixer could get it.  :D)  Spoon into a lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish (or similar sized pan).

Combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and 2 tbsp butter; sprinkle mixture over casserole.  (Personally, I've found this recipe does not yield enough pecan topping for me to cover the entire casserole as much as I'd like, and my daughter also is not fond of nuts, so what we do in our family is spread this sugared pecan mix over half the casserole and top the other half with miniature marshmallows.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

Because we don't like our dishes too sweet, I usually mash my sweet potatoes, and add butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and molasses and/or brown sugar according to taste.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

Yeah, a lot of sweet potato casseroles are far too sweet to my tastes, too.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)