• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Visionaries--Part Two--Chapter Eleven

Started by Evie, January 20, 2012, 09:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkari

QuoteActually, being Richenda's daughter-in-law could be a frightening prospect if the girl knew she didn't like her.
LOL - though at least Marley and Corwyn are a long way apart, not like dear Oksana being virtually next door to her two 'in law' children ;)   But I would imagine that both prospective in-laws would be 'food for thought' for any would-be Countess of Marley.  Clearly though, Aedwige hasn't actually got round to thinking of that aspect :D    And if she has, why surely she can just charm both of them, can't she?   Especially once they see how completely happy son Brendan is with his pretty new wife ... :D

bronwynevaine

I doubt that Aedwige plans to spend much time at her prospective husband's holdings. She sees heself as the center of attention at Court. If she did marry a handsome young earl, and he told her she would be home as regent while he was at court...she'd throw a  hissy fit!

Brendan is smart enough to avoid gold-diggers like Aedwige...but who hasn't made at least one stupid mistake because of love or infatuation? She's quite capable of flattering him.

I think Evie will make sure Aedwige has her comeuppance before Brendan is in too much danger. If not Richenda, Alaric, Kelson, AND Duncan will be mad at furious with her...

I'm may have to have to reread Pride and Prejudice. I had it in my head that Lady Catherine was a social climber who sought to overwhelm others with her own importance.

Re a Deryni P & P: Someone on the forum wondered what about Mr Collins since he could not be a clergyman and seeking a wife...
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Alkari

QuoteRe a Deryni P & P: Someone on the forum wondered what about Mr Collins since he could not be a clergyman and seeking a wife...
Mr Collins as a Deryni?  Hah!   If that were the case, I'd cheerfully hand the idiot over to Loris and co myself.   :D   

bronwynevaine

He'd probably compliment Loris for his admirable skills in nail-pulling and Deryni-roasting  ;D
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Elkhound

Quote from: bronwynevaine on January 22, 2012, 11:37:37 AMRe a Deryni P & P: Someone on the forum wondered what about Mr Collins since he could not be a clergyman and seeking a wife...

That was me; we decided, IIRC, that he'd be a very minor member of the landed gentry, perhaps a scholarly type.  The Bennets would be an old, old Deryni family that laid very low during the persecutions and managed to hold onto just enough land to stay gentry.  Collins, I think, would be from a branch of the family that did not inherit the Deryni trait, and didn't even know about it; his abrupt departure from the household would be as much from having found out about it as his rejection of his proposal.  Perhaps in her shock at the proposal she allowed her shields to flare? 

I had the idea that there might be a latent Deryni strain in the Darcy family, one which had been forgotten but which was manifesting in Fitzwilliam; his being in deep denial over it would explain why he acted as though he had a stick up his you-know where.

I hadn't quite figured out the Gardiners or Lady K. yet; I thought that the Lucas's would be wealthy merchants who had bought their way into minor nobility.  But, as I said, I realized that I'm not a good enough writer to pull it off, so I abandoned the project, and if anyone else would like to take it up I won't mind.

Alkari

You know, I don't think I would try too hard for exact character equivalents between P&P and a Deryni fanfic, especially when it comes to minor people like Mr Collins, Lady Catherine, Colonel Fitzwilliam, the Gardiners and so on.   Sure, you'd have the two key protqgonists being recognisably the equivalents of Elizabeth and Darcy, and you can easily see an all-daughters family giving rise to the same social pressures as face the Bennetts, at least in a society where sons are essential for inheritance.   I'd tend to look at it in the same way that Bernstein did with West Side Story as compared to his 'source' material of  Romeo and Julet, rather than force all the P&P people into Deryni-world boxes.  

And in the case of dear sweet Aedwige, SHE certainly wouldn't be turning down any marriage proposal from a Mr Darcy equivalent  :D   A nice rich baron, a few years older but not too old, with an excellent income and a large estate ...  What's not to like?!

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on January 22, 2012, 05:30:42 PM
You know, I don't think I would try too hard for exact character equivalents between P&P and a Deryni fanfic, especially when it comes to minor people like Mr Collins, Lady Catherine, Colonel Fitzwilliam, the Gardiners and so on.   Sure, you'd have the two key protqgonists being recognisably the equivalents of Elizabeth and Darcy, and you can easily see an all-daughters family giving rise to the same social pressures as face the Bennetts, at least in a society where sons are essential for inheritance.   I'd tend to look at it in the same way that Bernstein did with West Side Story as compared to his 'source' material of  Romeo and Julet, rather than force all the P&P people into Deryni-world boxes.  

At least in Gwynnedd there would be an option for an all-daughters family not available in Protestant Britain.  In a similarly situated Spanish or Italian or Portuguese family, at least one of the girls would have entered a convent.  Probably Mary; she would play the organ in the chapel and teach the little girls in the orphanage/school, and be quite buisy and happy.  Even in Britain a generation or so later she might have become a missionary and done the same thing in Africa or India or the South Pacific.

QuoteAnd in the case of dear sweet Aedwige, SHE certainly wouldn't be turning down any marriage proposal from a Mr Darcy equivalent  :D   A nice rich baron, a few years older but not too old, with an excellent income and a large estate ...  What's not to like?!

Even if he is a total jerk-a@@.

Evie

Wow, I go off for a weekend, the Forum gets chatty, and then a house falls on my sister!  (J/K...obligatory post-tornado Wizard of Oz reference.  :D )

Will try to catch up and respond to comments once I am less sleep deprived, but I fell asleep around 1:00 am only to be awakened at 3:00 by tornado sirens, spent a lovely hour huddling with the family in my basement while watching the thing sweep just barely past us on Doppler radar, then spent the rest of the night unable to sleep because of phones ringing every 15 or 20 minutes during the rest of the o'dark-thirty hours, followed by alarm clocks going off, followed by me going nearly insane due to sleep deprivation.  Took brief nap before venturing out at last to make sure the apocalypse actually hadn't ended up landing in my neighborhood (it didn't, but it devastated one just 4 miles or so up the road, within two blocks of a friend's house), and in fact I'm at the office now, but somewhat the worse for wear.  Grumpy Evie is grumpy after only 5 hours of sleep in the past 24, but at least I'm alive and well enough to be grumpy, which is a good thing....   :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!