• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Epistolary Novel

Started by Elkhound, May 01, 2015, 02:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

From Alexander Darby,Lord Archbishop of Rhemuth

to Oliver de Nore, Lord Archbishop of Valoret,

Easter Monday. 1113.

Your Grace,

Deo gratias that I can write to you that nothing occurred to desecrate the holy service of ordination to the priesthood held in this our cathedral of St George yesterday. All the appropriate procedures were followed - let Your Grace understand-  but there was no cause revealed for heaven's displeasure to be made manifest.

We all have our weaknesses and I am assured that you will bear with mine, if I am bold enough to confess that I had my doubts about the appointment of the young man Denis Arilan as auxiliary Bishop to this our ancient and worthy See. My doubts were assuaged at the time, but I have wondered since what caused me to accept him so readily... No matter, the young man proved himself most worthily. He was most appreciative of Your Grace's generous gift of Altar wine from your own supply and I felt it safe to confide its use, if not its purpose, to him. Your Grace will I think be moved, as I was, by his words, "I shall strive to be worthy of my Lord's trust in me."

Even the presence of the heretic Morgan could not mar the day. Though he could not resist drawing attention to himself by coming to Communion almost last - I cannot understand why the Lord does not strike the man down for his effrontery in even daring claim any right to such a means of salvation! - at least he had the shame thereafter to hide himself from such a godly gathering. He was there, I suppose, because of the unnatural hold that he has over the King. Also he can claim an unfortunate kinship with one of the ordination candidates, Duncan McLain - though in truth they are but distant cousins, and then through Morgan's human father. A fact for which Father McLain must daily give most humble thanks to God.

It is partly on Father McLain's account that I write to you, for this is a young man whose future will be worth watching. He was somewhat anxious throughout the rehearsals as is only fitting for one about to take such a momentous step, but yesterday he was marked by a serenity which seemed hardly of this corrupted earth. If I were inclined to fanciful prejudice, which Your Grace can bear witness I am not, I would say that he was one who had been visited by a heavenly blessing.

We grow old, Your Grace, and perhaps such wanderings are to be forgiven in those such as we, who have served the cause of God with such faithful zeal. But you can rest assured that the future of our beloved Church and the purity of all her teaching will be safe in the hands of men such as Bishop Arilan and Father McLain.

I remain your friend and humble servant,

+Alexander
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Excellent letters, all of them.  Though I especially enjoyed Arilan being entrusted with the special Altar wine. Very nice touch.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

This is truly the best so far.

Evie

Quote from: revanne on May 04, 2015, 09:01:28 AM

We grow old, Your Grace, and perhaps such wanderings are to be forgiven in those such as we, who have served the cause of God with such faithful zeal. But you can rest assured that the future of our beloved Church and the purity of all her teaching will be safe in the hands of men such as Bishop Arilan and Father McLain.

What a shame he didn't live long enough to see this prediction come true!  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on May 04, 2015, 10:21:27 AM
Quote from: revanne on May 04, 2015, 09:01:28 AM

I am glad his prediction DID come true, but I am not so sure Darby would have been pleased.  ;D

Nice letter
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I was cheating a bit because it's not quite Canon and some reference to fanfics by me and Desert Rose come in but I couldn't resist.

Quote from: Jerusha on May 04, 2015, 09:29:58 AM
  Though I especially enjoyed Arilan being entrusted with the special Altar wine. Very nice touch.

I envisaged that Denis meant Someone else entirely by "my Lord" although it would have naturally have been taken to be Darby or De Nore. I'm also assuming that Denis plays around just a little with Darby's intentions here.

Quote from: Evie on May 04, 2015, 10:21:27 AM

;D
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Private letter personally ascribed with the beautiful flourish of the Duchess of Corwyn's penmanship.

The Fifth of May, in the Year of our Lord Eleven Thirty

Unto Sivorn Sorelle Nicee von Horthy Perrache de Nieuport, Princess d'Orsal and Tralia, Dowager Duchess of Carthmoor, Baroness Kishknock. To this I will add mother to the Queen of Gwynedd and grandmother thrice over to Gwynedd's heirs.

I pray this letter finds your health improving. On this day your presence was sourly missed.

I give you greetings and good tidings from your lovely daughter, my gracious Queen Araxie, who at this moment is a bed, fast a sleep; well earned rest I must add. She bid me to write to you this note and send it via the fastest means, which I hope has found you near the portal at Orsalis.

My Lady, I send you great news. You are a grandmother once more. The babe is a healthy little prince, whose loud cry quickly filled the room with utter joy at his first breath. My dearest friend, your sweet second daughter did miss you through the night and does hope your sniffles ease so that you can join her as soon as may be. I assure you, though she was much overdue, that the bringing of this wondrous prince into the world happened with the least distress possible due to the gifts of our ways. I was at her side the whole night, and I assure you both mother and son are quite well.

As to the father, that is another matter entirely. My dearest lord husband had to take him in hand and calm his nerves with Vezaire Port (on this occasion only the most precious bottles from our cellar would do) to keep him from joining us in the birthing room. His Royal Highness wore the carpet thin just beyond the queen's door; you see his bride had ordered him out earlier in the evening for nervously getting in everyone's way. This being but a single babe and not the twin girls as she had at her first delivery, you would think our beloved Sire would have realized us women-folk knew our business and that all would be well. But truly, this is the most concerned I have ever seen our good king. He truly does love his wife, very much, even though in the beginning his heart had been torn. She has mended his heart utterly. At the sound of his son's first wailing, he burst through the door. The look in his eyes was a light of love and devotion.  All the anxiety from before had washed away.

As to the babe's name, I must say I was surprised yet quite pleased.  Do you recall that scroll, which Uncle Azim gave to me at Easter Court this last year. The one written in the hand of our ancestor, the Healer Rhys Thuryn. This particular scroll described the worthiness of a remarkable young man, who had just come to the throne as the second son of the restored Haldane line. Our blemished history described him only as the boy king with physical deformity  and but a year of kingship. His name has rarely been repeated in the Haldane family succession.  The scroll Azim sent us told quite a different story of a brilliant young man fighting the harshest of adversaries. We believe that the young prince who ruled for but a year could have been as great a king as our own beloved Kelson, had he but had the chance. And so it is that Kelson does honor to the past by giving his first son the names of the best men of Gwynedd.

I am honored to be the one to tell you the name of your grandson, Javan Uthyr Richard Urien Haldane. May he live long and reign well in peace and prosperity in the future of our beloved Kingdom of Gwynedd.

I look forward to having you joining us in Rhemuth, just as soon as your health returns. Please be well soon, and know that all is at its very best here.

Know your daughter is thinking of you with love. As am I.

Your loving friend, Richenda Rayma Anisa Morgan, Dowager Duchess of Marley, Duchess of Corwyn

Elkhound

They are getting better & better.

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I'm enjoying the mental image of poor Kelson wearing out the carpet!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

My Dearest Richenda:

Please let me extend to you my warmest congratulations and blessings on the birth of your daughter and your safe delivery from childbirth.  It is a shame that Duke Alaric could not have been in Corwyn for the blessed event.

It was quite the scene when your messenger arrived in the Council Chamber with the news.  Never did I expect to see your lord husband at such a loss for words!  His Majesty was first on his feet to offer congratulations and shake his hand.  Prince Nigel immediately ordered for a fine fianna to be brought in for a congratulatory toast.  Of course it was Duke Ewan that pointed out the early arrival with a not very subtle wink, but by that time the wine was being poured and all were drinking to your health and the babe's.

+ Uncle Thomas
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Quote from: Jerusha on May 04, 2015, 02:48:01 PM
  Of course it was Duke Ewan that pointed out the early arrival with a not very subtle wink...

LOL... Briony  was two weeks early... that could happen naturally anytime.
I am sure Duke Evan meant nothing by that wink, as the duke and the duchess were always known to be on their best behavior before their wedding day. *Subtle wink* 
Oops there I go... ;D

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on May 04, 2015, 02:26:50 PM
I'm enjoying the mental image of poor Kelson wearing out the carpet!   ;D

Anyone ever read David Edding's "The Malloreon", and the description of how Garion fell apart when Ce'Nedra went into labor?

Laurna

I love Eddings I have an entire shelf devoted to him, but I admit it has been many years since I read them. I vaguely recall the scene in question.