• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 190
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

A Gryphon by the Tail Chapter 20

Started by Alkari, October 05, 2010, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkari

Previous chapter:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=526.msg2798#msg2798.

Chapter 20

Joan and Lily were not taking the news well.  Richenda had spoken to them while Brendan was having a nap after the midday meal: better they knew sooner rather than later, and she could hardly keep hiding her betrothal ring from their eagle eyes.   But even her gentle explanation and assurances were met with dismay.  The fact that three bishops had given their blessing to the betrothal was only partly reassuring.  And judging by Joan's expression as she went about her business afterwards, it wasn't only Alaric's Deryni background that concerned her.    

The chill of fear and disapproval hung in the air as Richenda sat writing to her father, the mood of her two maids at odds with the happiness she was expressing in her letter.  She'd asked them not to say anything to Brendan until she had explained it to him.

"I'll tell him when I think it's the right time.  He's only little and certainly doesn't know anything about the Deryni," she'd said, sympathetic but firm. "I'm sorry you're both upset, but please don't go filling Brendan's head with your own fears.  He likes Duke Alaric, and the Duke will be a good stepfather to him.   And please don't discuss it with the other servants either, because we want to tell my family first.  I'll hear about it very quickly if you do, and I'll be very disappointed."    

If they take 'disappointed' to mean the possibility of dismissal, then perhaps that may not be a bad thing.   Hopefully they'll get over it, once they get used to the idea, and see that Alaric and I really do love each other.  I suppose it will just take time.

Richenda finished her letter, added a special message and some images in her personal seal, then folded the parchment and sealed it carefully.  After returning from Mass in the Cathedral that morning, she and Alaric had agreed to write the necessary letters to her father before spending the rest of the afternoon discussing the legal aspects of dower and dowry arrangements.  Now for a quick note to William, asking him to call on her as soon as he returned to Rhemuth.  She'd just signed the letter when there was a knock at the door.  Even as Lily answered it, a quick probe confirmed that her visitor was Alaric, but her joyful greeting was quickly tempered by the expression on his face.

"Bishop de Lacey has died," he said as they sat down.  "Bradene's just sent a note to Kelson.  They're declaring two days of formal mourning, and there'll be a funeral with full honours at the Cathedral on Tuesday."    

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  They didn't sound hopeful yesterday."

"No."  Alaric sighed.  "I'll probably have to spend tomorrow morning discussing formalities with Kelson and Nigel, once we hear more from Bradene and Cardiel.  It'll makes life a little more difficult for the Synod – they may have to do some further rearranging of Sees.  Finding one new bishop can be difficult enough, and right now they need to find at least three."   He cocked his head at her and smiled ruefully.  "Not the most auspicious start to our betrothal period, is it?   "

"Well, these things happen and he was an old man.  People don't usually recover from pneumonia at his age.  I'd never met him though, and I don't think you had, until last summer?"  

Alaric shook his head.  "I didn't have much to do with him even then.  Afraid I've spent my adult life trying to keep out of the way of most bishops."   He shrugged.  "Corrigan wasn't as bad as Loris, but if he saw me at Mass in the Cathedral, he was still likely to make some mention of Deryni evils.   So in Rhemuth I've mostly gone to Mass in the Chapel or St Hilary's, or waited for Denis Arilan's services.  At least I don't get that in Coroth."

She caught a brief flare of bitterness as he spoke, quickly damped; his own faith and relations with the Church were clearly issues yet to be fully resolved.  But now was not the time or place to talk of them.   She smiled and took his hand.  "Well, things are looking up.  After all, you're now talking to at least four bishops, and two of them are Archbishops."

He chuckled, the momentary gloom evaporating as quickly as it had arrived.  "And they even approved our betrothal.  I'm almost disappointed we didn't have to elope!"

"Yes.  It might have been – fun."  She brushed his mind with a suggestion that brought a raised eyebrow and impish grin to his face.  

"How many locks do you intend to put on the bedchamber door for our wedding night, my love?" he murmured, turning her hand over and kissing its palm in a way that set her whole body quivering.  

"Only one."  She lowered her eyes demurely.  "I thought that perhaps a Deryni sorcerer could take care of those matters?"  

"I'm sure between us, we will - manage things.  The servants can leave trays of food and drink outside our door from time to time."  

She giggled.  "Will you explain to Brendan?  If I don't appear for several days, he might wonder what's happened to me."  

"*I* will have happened to you, that's what!"   He winked, trailing feathery kisses from fingers to wrist.  "I'm sure Derry can take Brendan off somewhere to look at horses for a week or two."

"Mama!  Can I go and play outside?"   As if summoned, Brendan hurtled out of the sleeping quarters, brandishing his sword: he stopped short at the sight of Alaric.  "Duke Alaric?"

Well, at least he remembers Alaric's name now.  Richenda saw Joan pause at the inner doorway, Lily standing nervously behind her.

"Hello, Brendan.  Have you been having sword fighting lessons?"

"Yes."  Brendan nodded enthusiastically.  "I have to practice.  See."  He made a creditable attempt at some basic moves.

"Yes, you need lots of practice.  That's the only way to become really good at it."

"Do you practice?"  Brendan swiped the sword enthusiastically.

"Of course.  Even when you're good at something, you have to keep practising and learning."  Alaric frowned.  "Here – not like that.  Let me show you."    He rose and steered Brendan to the centre of the room.  "Now, hold it like this," he bent and adjusted Brendan's grip slightly, "and then stand like this.  Your right foot here, so you can move quickly.   Now you can use your sword better, can't you."    Gently he guided the boy through several movements.  "See – one, two, and three.  And again – one, two, three.   That's right - now you try it yourself.  Slowly at first."

Richenda watched the impromptu lesson, marvelling again at Alaric's easy affinity with her son, and the way Brendan happily accepted him.   They seemed to have forgotten her existence, focused only on the wooden sword and Brendan's movements.  Out of the corner of her eye, she saw that Lily and Joan were still watching from the doorway.  She smiled inwardly: perhaps they needed to see for themselves that Alaric Morgan was not quite the evil Deryni monster they feared.  

At length Alaric straightened up, hand on Brendan's shoulder, and smiled at her. "Sorry for the lesson.  Can't have him practising the wrong way though."

"No, and thank you."  She crossed to the small table that served as a desk and picked up the letter.  "I've just finished writing to father, and was going to bring this to go to the courier tomorrow.  I've also written to William, asking him to come and see me when he returns."

Alaric nodded. "Burchard told me he might be back tomorrow, so he'll see William gets it.  I've just finished writing to your father.  Not the easiest letter I've ever written - I tore up the first version," he chuckled.

"Mama!  Are you writing to Grandfather?   Can I write to him too?"  Brendan had obviously understood part of the conversation, and looked at her pleadingly.  "I want to tell him about Joker."  

"Yes, you can write later, dear.  I was writing a special letter to go with one from the King."  Feeling slightly guilty, she sent Alaric a quick glimpse of her previous promise to Brendan.

Brendan beamed, swordsmanship temporarily forgotten.  "Can I write now?  I can write 'Joker' properly.  I want to tell him about Joker."

"Not just now, Brendan.  I have to go with Duke Alaric to do some work for Marley."  

Brendan's face fell.  "Can't I come too?  Why can't I write while you're working?   You said I could write to him!  You promised."  He stared at her accusingly, little fists clenched in a manner reminiscent of his father, and Richenda feared a sudden tantrum.

Alaric caught her eye.  "Oh, let him come.  We can manage."  

"Are you sure?  He doesn't sit still for very long."  

Alaric gave the barest nod, and she turned back to her son. "Brendan, you are not to be rude like that.   You'll go back to your room if can't behave, and I want you to say you're sorry to Duke Alaric.  I said you could write later, but if you say you're sorry and ask Duke Alaric very nicely, he might let you come with us."

Brendan drooped visibly.   "I'm sorry, Duke Alaric.   Please can I come with you?  Please?  I want to write to Grandfather."

Alaric paused as if considering the request, then bent down. "Thank you Brendan.   If you come with us, you have to be very good. You can practice writing while we work.  Will you do that?   Promise?"  

Brendan nodded fervently, looking eagerly from Alaric to his mother.  "I'll be good.   Promise."

"You don't know what you're letting yourself in for.  He'll probably make a terrible mess, and I don't know we'll get a lot of work done."  

"He'll make a mess at times in Coroth too.  If he gets too difficult, I can send him off with young Rogan to practice.  There always seem to be dozens of children at the Orsal's court, so he's used to them."    "You'd better bring your sword too, Brendan.  If you finish your letter, you can practice with my squire."

Brendan grinned, and capered around the room while Richenda sent Lily for her cloak, fetched Brendan's slate and pencils from one of the chests and asked Joan to deliver William's note to Burchard.   She felt strangely touched that Alaric was already serious about his promise to treat Brendan as his own son, though he'd soon find out that being a stepfather to an energetic and determined four year old was not always the easiest thing ...

"I was glad to help, my lady."  Twelve year old Rogan blushed deeply as Richenda smiled and thanked him warmly.   When they'd arrived at Alaric's apartments, his squire had immediately taken Brendan under his wing; whatever Rogan may have lacked in horsemanship, he more than made up for in abilities with younger children.  While Richenda and Alaric worked at the big table, speaking in low voices or mind speak, Rogan set out writing materials on a low chest near the fire and with his help, Brendan managed to produce the desired letter.  He showed it triumphantly to his mother. The writing was surprisingly good and there weren't too many smudges.

"Can we put a seal on it now?" he asked, after Richenda and Alaric had complimented him and thanked Rogan.

"You've signed it dear, that's all you need," she said.

"No, a proper seal, like you use.  When you fold it."  

Fortunately Alaric had a ready solution, and Brendan was delighted at the suggestion that he could use his toy sword to stamp an impression into the wax.  "Sometimes knights have seals in their swords, so your grandfather will know this is from you," Alaric explained as they duly admired the handiwork.   The large blob of wax now bore the impression of the pommel's simple cross design and bevelled edge, which satisfied all concerned.

Alaric gave the precious letter to Rogan for immediate delivery to the royal courier, together with Richenda's and his own, and Brendan trotted off happily with his new friend, intent on seeing the letter safely on its way.

"Thank you for being a suitably indulgent father," Richenda teased Alaric as the door closed behind the boys.  "He's not usually this quiet for so long."

"He's very determined isn't he – he's quite happy to work at something when he's interested.  And he wants to do it properly."

"Rogan's a good teacher.  He seems very patient."

"Yes, he's a gentle lad.  You realise he completely adores you?  Besotted in fact," grinned Alaric, putting his arms around her.  "He couldn't believe it when I asked him to help at the supper last night – I'm surprised he didn't drop several dishes, the way he was gazing at you!"

"Oh Alaric, the poor boy.   He's just at that awkward age. You won't tease him, will you?"  

"Well, not too much.  Though it's a wonder he could even speak when you smiled and thanked him.   If he doesn't work out as a squire, perhaps we should keep him as a tutor for the children?"  He kissed her lightly.  

Children.  We've never really spoken of them – we know we want children, and I promised to bear them, God willing.   Of course he'll want sons, but we've never talked about daughters.  Except for Rhiannon ...  She smiled up at him.

"And how many children are you suggesting, dearest?"

"As many as come along.  A dozen or so?"  He winked.

"A dozen?  Alaric Morgan, you can start having them yourself then!"   She pretended to push him away, laughing.  "I was planning to stop a little earlier."

"Hmmm.  Well, at least four – two of each."

So he does want daughters!   "Four?  That sounds much more reasonable.   I think I can manage that."  She brushed his mind again, tantalising, and he pulled her into a kiss that left them both breathless.

"Of course, you know I shall worry every time," he murmured, suddenly serious.  "The dangers of childbirth – it's wrong of me to jest so ... "  

Heavens!  Why this sudden fear? She leaned back in his arms, looking into grey eyes that had sudden shadows in them.  What ... of course!  His mother.   She'd died shortly after giving birth to his sister.  

"Alaric, women have those fears too," she said softly.  "We fear for the child we carry, for our other children, and our husbands who might be left alone.  We fear for ourselves, even."  She kissed him softly.   "But we count the risks and pain well worthwhile, for the joy our children bring.  And somehow we even forget the pain, otherwise we'd ban our husbands from our beds after the first one!"

"Banishment and a life of celibacy?"  The quirk of his mouth showed that his fear had gone for now.

"I don't think you are going to be in that sort of danger," she replied archly and he chuckled wickedly.  

"I'd better warn you though – there's a history of twins in my family."

"Twins?"  She pretended alarm.  "I don't know which is likely to be more frightening - raising two little Alarics, or watching you with daughters of marriageable age.   It will be a brave suitor who comes to ask the Duke of Corwyn for his daughter's hand!"

"If he's not brave enough to ask me, then he won't be worthy of her," he said dryly.  "Besides, if she takes after her mother, she'll probably want to elope.  Do you want me to be a fierce and unreasonable father and object to every suitor, or should I leave ladders and packed saddlebags lying around for them?"

She burst out laughing.  "Dearest, I think any daughter will have you wrapped around her little finger from the moment she is born.  If not before."    

"Then it's just as well we've sorted out the property, isn't it?" he grinned, releasing her to cross to the table with its various parchments.  "We might just manage to find a dowry for her."

She nodded, coming to stand beside him as he checked the lists they'd made.  Their negotiations hadn't taken long at all, and she'd been surprised at how closely her thinking matched his.  For his part, Alaric had been more than generous, but the agreement for her dowry would need Kelson's consent, as it involved sensibly swapping some of her own dower lands in Marley for several properties owned by Bran in other parts of Gwynedd.   "I'll get MacKenzie to work on it first thing tomorrow," he said, tidying the papers, "and once Kelson agrees to the proposals, it won't take long for the documents to be drawn up."

He summoned a page to bring some wine, and they relaxed in front of the fire, chatting about wedding arrangements and the anticipated reaction of her family to their news.  Richenda said Meraude had already planned some shopping "for a few little things", though this would have to be postponed because of the funeral.  She laughed at Alaric's expression, assuring him that no, he and Nigel would not need to provide them with packhorses.

"Make sure you can wear emeralds with your wedding gown," he said, regarding her with a lazy smile.   "The Furstana emeralds - every Corwyn Duchess has worn them at her wedding.  And my Chancellor keeps dropping hints that there is also a lovely little wedding coronet just waiting to adorn the right woman."  He sent her images of the jewels and leant forward to trace a line round her neck, just touching her collarbone.  

"I'm sorry I couldn't bring them with me.  Lord Robert was almost beside himself when I took the lapis brooch and earrings, so if I'd asked him for the emeralds and coronet as well ..."   He winked.

"He didn't get suspicious when you had the ring made?"

"Didn't tell him.  He'll just have to wait till I get home to find out everything."

She shook her head, amused, then asked if he'd mind if she wore her betrothal ring on her right hand for a few days, as they did in Bremagne and some of the Forcinn states. "It's hard to keep our betrothal a secret if I am wearing your beautiful ring on my wedding finger!"

"Of course – I've heard of that custom. Just put it back on your left hand when you need to let those ladies 'notice' it!"  He winked.  "Meraude seems to think it will be quite amusing."

"To say the least."   They sat in companionable silence for a while, sipping their wine. "Alaric, shouldn't Rogan and Brendan be back by now?   What on earth would they be doing?"

"Something interesting to small boys," he smiled reassuringly.  "They're probably having a sword fight in the corridor or they've gone down to the stables or the kitchens.  Rogan will look after him.  Don't worry," he added, seeing her expression, "if they're not back by Vespers, we'll send out the search parties."

Some time later they heard boyish voices at the door.   Brendan charged across to her, full of excited chatter about what they'd been doing; Rogan slung a laden satchel onto the table and waited patiently.  After Richenda managed to hush Brendan, Rogan explained that they'd taken everything to the courier, who'd showed Brendan a map of Gwynedd and pointed out the way he'd be riding.  He wouldn't allow Brendan to go down to the stables to see the courier's 'very fast horse', so instead they'd gone to the kitchens and begged some honeycakes – Alaric controlled a grin – and as they returned, they'd seen one of the other regular couriers arrive.  

"He'd come from Lendour, so I knew there'd be letters for Your Grace.   Brendan helped me sort them, and we brought them up."  Rogan gestured to the satchel.

"Well done, Rogan," said Alaric, clapping his squire on the shoulder cheerfully, and Rogan went scarlet as Richenda added her own thanks.  

"I had two honeycakes in the kitchen," Brendan announced happily, traces of evidence still smeared around his mouth.  "Rogan had three."

"Boys are always hungry!" sent Alaric, struggling not to laugh as Rogan went an even deeper red.  "I knew they'd be all right." Richenda assured Rogan that he undoubtedly deserved the cakes for looking after Brendan, and hoped her son had not been too much trouble.

"Oh no, my lady!" he murmured, hardly daring to look at her.  "He – he was very good.  I'd be happy – I mean, if His Grace allows it – I'd be happy to help you with him – if you need it ...."

"Thank you, Rogan.   I'm sure Brendan would enjoy that, whenever Duke Alaric can spare you from your duties with him."   "Oh Alaric, please don't tease him – he's been so nice and Brendan's had a lovely time."

Rogan bowed and backed away, and Richenda turned to Alaric.  "I think we need to leave you in peace to deal with the contents of that satchel, Duke Alaric.  The funeral will require much of your time over the next two days.  Thank you for an enjoyable afternoon.  Brendan, you need to thank Duke Alaric and Rogan, and say good bye."

Brendan did so, and skipped along happily as they made their way back to their own apartments.  Richenda hoped her maids were feeling a little more cheerful.

_________

Next chapter: http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=528.0.

Evie

LOL!  Awwww, poor Rogan!   ;D

As far as children are concerned, I think Alaric and Richenda should have an even dozen.  Of each.   ;D

*grins, ducks and runs very, very fast!*
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

Quote from: Evie on October 05, 2010, 10:56:14 PM
As far as children are concerned, I think Alaric and Richenda should have an even dozen.  Of each.   ;D

Richenda thanks you very much, but wonders if perhaps you would like to try out that suggestion first?  ;)     

DesertRose

Thanks for another chapter, Alkari.

Poor Rogan, indeed.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Alkari

And Alaric won't tease him - well, not TOO much!!    :D

kirienne (RIP)

A lovely chapter, this. I'm sure Rogan will enjoy helping with young Brendan and I find it fun that he is besotted with Richenda. Each chapter shows more and more just how wonderful a father Alaric will be

Elkhound

I'm glad Rogan is finding his place.  In a feudal society, a young man of the nobility/gentry with no talent for martial arts and no calling to a clerical/monastic life has really very few options.

AnnieUK

Always wondered what became of Rogan.  Thanks for including him!

Alkari

Quote from: Elkhound on October 06, 2010, 10:03:17 AM
I'm glad Rogan is finding his place.  In a feudal society, a young man of the nobility/gentry with no talent for martial arts and no calling to a clerical/monastic life has really very few options.

Yes, it is difficult for them, especially as 'taking up a trade' was not exactly an option for a son of the nobility.  They could perhaps hope to develop an interest and great competence in areas such as law and administration though, which maybe where Rogan ends up.  After all, running a kingdom / duchy / earldom or whatever always requires men such as chancellors and experienced clerks, not just a string of military types.

I like to think Alaric recognises this for Rogan, and does his best to ensure that the kid gets the 'expected' minimal martial skills, but that as far as possible, his duties as a squire will focus on matters of administration, and - of course! - in helping Richenda.  Who after all, will need someone in Corwyn after she is married to help with the Marley administration, correspondence and such.  ;) And although Brendan will  have formal tutors of course, I am sure there would be a place for young Rogan in his life ...

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 06, 2010, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on October 06, 2010, 10:03:17 AM
I'm glad Rogan is finding his place.  In a feudal society, a young man of the nobility/gentry with no talent for martial arts and no calling to a clerical/monastic life has really very few options.

Yes, it is difficult for them, especially as 'taking up a trade' was not exactly an option for a son of the nobility.  They could perhaps hope to develop an interest and great competence in areas such as law and administration though, which maybe where Rogan ends up.  After all, running a kingdom / duchy / earldom or whatever always requires men such as chancellors and experienced clerks, not just a string of military types.

Wasn't it customary to use monks and priests for that sort of work, which is why in modern English the word 'clerical' has the dual meaning 'having to do with paper-pushing' and 'having to do with the ordained ministry of the church'?  The word 'chancellor' is from the same root as 'chancel' (the part of the church where the clergy sit), after all.  I believe that Sir Thomas Moore was the first layman to be Lord Chancellor of England, for example.

Alkari

There were plenty of lay people in senior administrative and legal roles long before Sir Thomas Moore and Henry VIII.   After all, when dear Henry decided to rid himself of the monasteries and a continued supply of 'clerics', the entire English administrative system did not fall into total disarray.  The Lord Chancellor was merely one of the senior people in government: he was most certainly not the only one (there were people like the Treasurer, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Keeper of the Privy Seal, Keeper of the Wardrobe, with his deputies the Controller and the Cofferer, etc).  The Treasurer was generally a cleric until the late 14th Century, after which Parliament demanded that laymen should be appointed chancellor, treasurer, privy seal and chamberlain of the Exchequer.   And the 'Royal courts' - King's Bench, Common Pleas, even the newer court of Admiralty, operated a very different type of jurisdiction to the ecclesiastical courts.  Given the conflicts back in Henry II's time, the royal courts were hardly likely to be the sole preserve of clerics!  :)

The same holds true in KK's world too.  Look at the example of Lord Robert of Tendall, who is hereditary Chancellor of Corwyn.   ETA:  According to the Codex, he married and had five children, so he wasn't exactly a monk  :D  

Evie

Just happened across this quote today and realized it was relevant to this discussion.  It's from
The Fourth Estate: A history of women in the Middle Ages, from a passage talking about the widening gap between a nobleman's and a noblewoman's education with the rise of the universities in the 13th C.  (Though keep in mind that KK's Gwynedd isn't strictly true to Earth's timeline--that is to say, her 10-12 C. Gwynedd seems roughly analogous to 9th-15th C. Western Europe, with a bit of shaking and stirring to have 14th C. elements cheerfully intermingling with 10th C. ones.  IIRC, Gwynedd already had flourishing universities by Camber's time period.  :D )

"Universities were peopled by younger sons of the lesser nobility, by the minor nobility and by orphans. To gain an education gave them access to some sort of career in the Church or in the service of the monarchy and the great nobles."

The younger sons of the greater nobility and royalty (Dukes, Princes, and Kings) tended to enter military service, since most inherited lesser titles from their fathers' and would need the skills to defend their lands, but if someone were as clearly unsuited for it as young Rogan is, he could be taught just the rudiments of martial arts, possibly even dubbed a knight at 18 if he could at least achieve basic proficiency, then sent off to Uni as fast as possible to learn something he could actually be useful at.   It's not like Letald lacks other sons to help him defend Orsal and Tralia. :D   And since the university track didn't force young men into the Church, Rogan could take the scholar's path even if he didn't have a religious vocation.  
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!