• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 270
Total: 270
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Gryphon by the Tail Chapter 12

Started by Alkari, July 27, 2010, 07:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: kirienne on July 27, 2010, 09:36:08 PM
Poor Richenda, no wonder she got angry! Those ladies were simply ... horrid, lets hope Alaric does not hear of how horribly they behaved to her.

The bower should be more properly called a kennel.  That is where one puts b*tch*s.

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on July 27, 2010, 10:53:39 PM
Quote from: kirienne on July 27, 2010, 09:36:08 PM
Poor Richenda, no wonder she got angry! Those ladies were simply ... horrid, lets hope Alaric does not hear of how horribly they behaved to her.

The bower should be more properly called a kennel.  That is where one puts b*tch*s.

Elkhound, try to keep it family friendly.  If you need to bleep it, you probably oughtn't say it here.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

The last installment seemed almost like a Gwynned remake of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032143/.

I'm a bachelor with no sisters; do women really behave like this when they're on their own?

If the collar, leash, and muzzle fits, wear it.

Alkari

Quote from: Elkhound on July 28, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
The last installment seemed almost like a Gwynned remake of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032143/.

I'm a bachelor with no sisters; do women really behave like this when they're on their own?

If the collar, leash, and muzzle fits, wear it.
Don't know that movie at all, so I can't speak for any resemblance.   But thank you for the recommendation!  I checked up the description and reviews via that link - think I should definitely look it out.  The quoted dialogue sounds wonderful.   A year or so ago, I was at a Bette Davis movie festival and we saw All About Eve as one of the features - I just marvelled once again at the really superb writing in some of those old movies, where you didn't have special effects and had to rely on a great script and wonderful acting. 

Back to my fic ... yes, women 'can' be rather catty and nasty like that, though it often occurs behind a person's back.  In this case, Kathryn was genuinely trying to express her concerns as a friend - in the previous chapter, she was about to voice them at the feast before they started dancing.  They're the sort of things that might normally be raised by one GF seeing another GF heading into a potentially 'dangerous' or scandalous relationship.  Richenda recognises this when she tries to explain to Kathryn about her arranged marriage and just 'doing her best' with Bran.  But Kathryn's a little immature and doesn't tackle it very well - she'd have been much better to take Richenda aside alone.  

Alas, in this case she did it in company with the social-climbing Lyndall, who just happens to be extremely jealous, as she is also in the 'marriage market' and has had her eyes on Morgan (the 'dangerous Deryni' bit notwithstanding!).  In the often-competitive social world of the royal court, that was a very dangerous combination.