• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 84
Total: 85

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Dice rolling

Started by Bynw, November 09, 2017, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

since this game is semi free form roleplaying. there will be times when dice rolling will be necessary, but not too often. most actions and results will simply be automatic. but in the following cases there will be the need to roll the bones:

using any trait on another character played by a forum member
   any form of combat
   other issues as determined :)

and since this is a forum based game. we need a way to roll dice so here it is: https://dicelog.com/maildice for verification they can be all sent to zipperbro at deryni dot net
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Just to clarify, your email address just goes in the "Send results to" field, but we still need to register our own email address info, yes?  Otherwise, we would need your password also if we're using your email address for the "Your mail" field, and I'm assuming that is not what you want us to do.  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

to clarify my email would go in the send results to field. your email and password (not your email password) but the registration password with the site would go in those fields

Bynw

here is what it would look like:

(see the attachment)

Laurna

Tested that. Took a few tries to get it right. The roll that worked was 6+1=7. Haha.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

and i did get those test emails :)

Jerusha

Still trying to make this work.  Maybe this time....
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on November 15, 2017, 06:16:46 PM
Still trying to make this work.  Maybe this time....

1. On the page Bynw linked to, first click on the link to the registration page to register your email address and password. (This is free.)  Follow the directions on that page. IIRC, after you do, you may get an email with a link to click on to confirm your registration.  At least a lot of registrations work that way, and I think this did too. For security reasons, use a different password for this site than you use when logging into your email. That way if this website is ever hacked, the hacker can't use the same password to hijack your email address. (Best practice is never to use the same password on more than one website, but let's be real, how many people actually follow best practice every single time?)

2. Once you have registered your email address and password, then use those on the page Bynw linked to.  His email address goes in the box that asks who you want results sent to.  The type of dice roll you want is usually 2d6, unless you have an advantage (3d6) or disadvantage (1d6).

If that isn't clear enough to get you results, I'll try to explain more clearly when I have a computer in front of me so I can actually see what I'm talking about.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I think it worked!  Woo hoo!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on November 15, 2017, 08:22:13 PM
I think it worked!  Woo hoo!

It did work. I got the email!

Just remember the important rule when it comes to rolling the dice.
1d6 is at a Disadvantage
2d6 is Standard
3d6 is at an Advantage

The total of the dice doesn't matter in most cases. It's just the individual rolls. And there we are looking for a 5 or a 6. Anything else doesn't help.

revanne

No idea how to make sense of this :( . As I've never participated in role play games before I'm lost so both the terminology and the sequencing are leaving me feeling like a human trying to cast a Deryni spell.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on November 28, 2017, 11:38:19 AM
No idea how to make sense of this :( . As I've never participated in role play games before I'm lost so both the terminology and the sequencing are leaving me feeling like a human trying to cast a Deryni spell.

OK, the first thing you need to do to get set up is to go to the validation link at the top of the page that Bynw posted the link to, and register your email address and a password (not your regular email address password, just one for that page, for safety's sake) on that website.  Then you go back to that page Bynw posted the link to (the dice rolling page) to do the actual dice rolls, but it won't work until you have first validated your email address.  And make sure you copy the results to Bynw by putting his zipperbro address (which I think he posted earlier in this thread) in that larger box on the page.

What Bynw was saying is that most actions will require what is called a 2d6 roll, so you just need to make sure on that page that the 2d6 option is selected, unless the action you are attempting has some other level of difficulty (an advantage or a disadvantage), in which case you should select 3d6 or 1d6 respectively.  (What 2d6 means is that you are rolling two six-sided dice.  A six-sided die is the regular sort of cube shaped dice that most people are familiar with.  Therefore terms like 2d6, 3d6, and 1d6 are just gaming shorthand for "two (standard 6-sided) dice", "three 6-sided dice", and "one 6-sided die."  The reason we specify it's a d6 rather than just "roll 2 dice," etc. is that in many RPG, dice with different number of sides are used--for instance, an action might require a 2d4 roll (two four-sided dice) or a 1d100 roll (roll 1 hundred-sided die).  This game is simpler in that it only requires the six-sided dice that most non-RPG gamers are already familiar with, so really all you need to pay attention to is whether this is an action with normal difficulty for your character (in which case you'd roll 2d6, or if it is something that is going to be extra easy for your character, in which case you've got an advantage and can roll a 3d6 (adding a dice gives you a greater chance to getting the 5 or 6 on one of the dice in order to succeed in your action), or if this is going to be extra tough for your character to succeed in (therefore giving you a disadvantage), in which case you only get one shot at succeeding because you are only allowed to try rolling 1d6.  And if you are not certain what number of dice are needed, you can ask our Gamemaster, although your list of traits you've picked for your character will also provide clues, since traits you are specially trained in should offer you an advantage when you have to use those. In other words, if you have special training in, say, reading a magic scroll, then you should be able to add that third dice to your roll rather than just taking a stab at it like an untrained person and having a normal number of dice (maybe 2, if you're Deryni but just haven't had specialized training in that area) or a disadvantage (1 if you're human and don't have any clue it's even a magical scroll!)  And of course Bynw might throw in some extra twist--for instance, he might decide that you've got a much harder-than-average magic scroll to read there, and while you've got some scroll reading skill, you're no Evaine MacRorie Thuryn, so for this particular one you might still be at a disadvantage even as a trained Deryni scroll reader.  But I'm sure he would let us know if such special circumstances exist, so you wouldn't be left on your own to figure that out.

Did that clear things up, or did I miss anything?

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

I've done the registration I think - do I understand that I don't need to roll the dice until the game dictates?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on November 28, 2017, 11:38:19 AM
... I'm lost so both the terminology and the sequencing are leaving me feeling like a human trying to cast a Deryni spell.

Love, love the analogy Revanne. Don't stress this part when the time comes for our first roll of the dice we can all help each other get it right.
I am so excited that you will be joining us.  I do hope this means you are feeling a little better. ***Hugs and smiles*** ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!