• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376
Google (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Demoiselle in Distress Chapter 3

Started by Evie, June 22, 2010, 02:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Demoiselle in Distress—Chapter 3

Sean Earl Derry, on board the Duke of Corwyn's Rhafallia, took a deep breath of the ocean air as he watched the city of Coroth recede into the distance from the aft platform.  Alaric had originally considered taking the overland route for the household's return to Rhemuth, but due to the number of people who would be accompanying them on this occasion, not to mention how much they would be carrying with them, he had finally decided to take the sea route instead, the weather being mild enough still, despite the lateness of the season, to allow for a safe journey.  For his own part, Derry was glad they'd be traveling by ship this trip; even though normally he preferred to travel on horseback, there was the logistical problem of where the retinue would have stopped to rest every night.  Generally, if traveling with just a handful of men, Derry would arrange for lodging at inns along the way.  Including a few in the towns between Corwyn and Rhemuth where the Earl Derry was well known, and most graciously and ardently received.  

Derry turned away from the coastline, leaning back against the rail to survey the veiled heads of Duchess Richenda's ladies, bent over their handiwork as they quietly conversed with each other.  No, traveling to Rhemuth on Rhafallia would help prevent the question of proper lodgings from becoming unnecessarily awkward.

One particular golden-tressed head was not, for once, bent over embroidery with the rest of the ladies, but was leaning against the starboard side railing, watching the coastline of Gwynedd's shore slip past.  

Be properly cordial, the young earl reminded himself sternly.  Cordial, yet hopefully not overly encouraging; therein would lie the trick.  He hoped he could find the proper balance, since he hardly wished to spend the entirety of the journey hiding out below deck.

Steeling up his courage, he sidled up to the lady casually, waiting until she'd noticed his approach before speaking.

"Have you ever been on a sea journey before, my lady?" he inquired politely.

She shook her head.  "Never."  A shadow of a smile curved the corners of her lips.  "It's amazing, isn't it!  So much world out there."  Lady Celsie stole a sideways look up at him, then laughed self-consciously.  "Well, I imagine you've seen a lot more of it than I have, anyway.  I've never traveled outside of Corwyn."

"Have you not?  Then you're in for a treat.  Rhemuth isn't called 'Rhemuth the Beautiful' for nothing."

"I can hardly wait to see it!  Is it as big as Coroth?"

Derry laughed.  "You'll see soon enough."  He tried to remember how long ago it had been since he'd viewed the world with that same sense of wide-eyed wonder.  

Celsie stole another shy look up at him, then looked away.  "You have a nice laugh," she said, her eyes studying the passing shore.  After a moment, she added, "My papa had a wonderful laugh.  I miss...."  She broke off, looking wistful.

"You miss your father?"  

"Yes.  And laughter."  Her lips tightened.  "Not the younger Rannigan's, though." The grim look on her face lingered for only a few moments, then another thought lightened her expression.  "Oh! I just remembered; I have something for you."  Celsie glanced back up at Derry.  "Actually, I finished it last week, but I haven't seen you around much.  I suppose you've been very busy, preparing for our trip."

Derry looked away, feeling a trifle guilty, and weighed his answer carefully, not knowing If the young Deryni lass knew how to Truth-Read or not.  "It has been a rather busy week," he agreed.

"Well, I just wanted to give you a small token of my appreciation for helping me sort out my household."

"That's really not necessary, my lady."

"It is to me," Celsie contradicted him.  She turned away from Derry slightly, dipping slender fingertips into her bodice to pull out a folded square of filmy cambric from its resting place next to her heart, then turned back to face him, offering up the gift shyly.

Derry took the fabric square, glancing at it curiously, then back at the maiden's face.  "Thank you."  He unfolded the square.  The Derry arms in the embroidered quarter caught the light, the silk threads shimmering against the snowy backdrop of the soft cambric square, the stitches impossibly fine.  

"You made this?"  Derry knew almost nothing of needlework, but he recognized quality craftsmanship when he saw it.  "This is...exquisite."  He traced the design with a fingertip, wondering how many hours of work had gone into it.   He gave Celsie a rueful smile.  "It's far too lovely to use, my lady; I'd ever be afraid of soiling it!"  Like its maker, he suddenly realized with a sudden pang of regret.

"Don't be!  Anyway, it's really not quite as fragile as it looks.  I'll show you how to care for it properly."

That's what I'm afraid of, Derry thought, although he knew she was still referring to the handkerchief.

He refolded the fabric, tucking it into his doublet.  "I've work I need to see to below, so I'm afraid I must take my leave."  Taking her hand, he gave her a courtly bow.  "Until later, my lady."  Derry straightened, brushing past the young woman to head below deck.

Some time several hours later, in the relative privacy of his bunk, he unfolded the square again in the dim glow of lantern light, studying the Derry arms on it for a long while before refolding it and tucking it carefully under his pillow.  It still smelled faintly of lavender and roses, warm sunlight, and Celsie.

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

Evie

He's on a ship.  He can't get very far.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

Evie

LOL!  Yes, but I think swimming for his life would violate the Duke's instructions to be properly cordial.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

Most likely so.  Besides that, where's he supposed to go when he gets to land anyway?  He's got to rejoin the Corwyn party eventually.

Evie

Yep, exactly.   Here's the new Derry motto:  "I can run, but I cannot hide."   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: kirienne on June 21, 2010, 09:32:43 PM
LOL, seeing Derry run from a lass is priceless. I love how she is unknowingly using her powers for a strong working  with *prayers* for his safety in each tiny stitch. I'm glad you posted more and may I be so bold as to ask for more still? It gave me a smile and a warm feeling in my heart. Wonderously done, this.

Well, 'cording lore', magic involving knotted threads, was spoken of as primarily women's magic, and I can see how it might be passed down from mother to daughter in crypt-Deryni families with the true knowledge forgotten, much as Jewish household rituals have been passed down in some Marrano families in Latin America.

Elkhound

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 22, 2010, 11:42:14 AM
Uh oh, run away, Derry!  LOL.

I Celise finds that she has inadvertently set a love-spell on Derry, she'll be guilt-ridden.  She'll probably think she's no better than what's-his-face who tried to 'marry' her.

I should hasten to add that I wouldn't think that of her, especially as it was inadvertent; but that a young woman with a sensitive conscience, especially on certain subjects might feel that way.  If she did so react, you'd set up scenes for her being reassured that no, she didn't do anything wrong, but this is the reason why Deryni need to be trained, and occasion for a discussion of magical ethics.

Evie

Oh, no she hasn't; the only spell set is for the safety protection Celsie prayed for.  But she'll be working on her hope chest soon. I'm sure some interesting magic can be embroidered onto pillows and bed-curtains .... ;-D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 22, 2010, 02:11:46 PM
Quote from: AnnieUK on June 22, 2010, 11:42:14 AM
Uh oh, run away, Derry!  LOL.

I Celise finds that she has inadvertently set a love-spell on Derry, she'll be guilt-ridden.  She'll probably think she's no better than what's-his-face who tried to 'marry' her.

I should hasten to add that I wouldn't think that of her, especially as it was inadvertent; but that a young woman with a sensitive conscience, especially on certain subjects might feel that way.  If she did so react, you'd set up scenes for her being reassured that no, she didn't do anything wrong, but this is the reason why Deryni need to be trained, and occasion for a discussion of magical ethics.

I can see something of the sort happening in some future working, though I'd have to consider carefully what sort of item a girl of scrupulous conscience would consider an appropriate gift for an unrelated man that she'd inadvertently be working love charms into. It's the thoughts during the working that empower the stitch spell, and it has to be focused. But it could be phrased wrong or something. ...

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Cording lore, special protective spells in embroidery with thoughts as the stitching is being worked - I wish you'd stop giving me ideas for Richenda and Alaric, especially as Richenda does have to prepare wedding 'fripperies' soon  :D

I do enjoy poor Derry's terror at the thought of commitment.  Perhaps I should send Celsie a manual on how to re-train frightened or badly broken horses?!  In fact, one of the ones on my shelf has a rather appropriate story about doing that ... I am sure she could learn a few things.  And not a single rope or lead-rein involved!!  *grin*

Evie

Oh, she could also work in spells to ensure fertility or, if she gets tired of producing little Morgans every time Alaric's trousers get tossed over the bedpost, she could eventually replace the pillows with ones to help prevent future little Morgans. 

Not that I'd give you ideas or anything.   :D

LOL at the idea of Celsie reading the manual.  I can especially see her doing so someplace where Derry can see her reading it; he'd doubtless be interested enough in the topic to start up a conversation with her about it, not realizing all the while that she's hoping to be able to apply the principles in it to him....

--WARNING!!!--

kirienne (RIP)

Another excellent chapter :-)
At least there is not a lot of room for Derry to run away on a ship.