• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207
Google
Facebook External hit (5)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Bynw on February 11, 2018, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: Evie on February 11, 2018, 09:10:47 PM
Quote from: Bynw on February 11, 2018, 09:08:47 PM
The characters need one of these:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/XycUEXOBR2jjsqvz2

Wash has a St. Camber medallion, IIRC. Maybe he should get it checked to see if the warranty ran out.   ;D

Maybe he has one of the junk mass market fakes.

Given that it would have been cast from Alaric's, I rather doubt it. Unless you're suggesting Alaric bought his at the Gwyneddan equivalent of Walmart....  ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on February 11, 2018, 05:50:34 PM
I am really beginning to hate this game😠😠😠😠

A game and story have similarities. There are characters, both good and evil. There is the backdrop of the world in which those characters live and go about their tasks. But if it is just a story, the author determines what happens to each and every character. And for the most part those hero characters win more than they loose.

However, in a game ... the author aka the players who are running the hero's don't always win. The results of their actions are guaranteed or aren't preordained. What determines if any given task that has story altering ramifications for failure or success is determined by a roll of dice (in most games). We of course want the heros to win in the end. It could be a hard fought win though or they could end up loosing everything. But that makes it all the more real. We dont know if they are going to win or not.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

Why does bynw dislike the Morgans ?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Evie

I've just read TBH, TKJ, and QFSC in rapid succession in the past couple of weeks, and had not realized before how often Duncan and Alaric (among others) actually attempt things and fail rather than succeed.  Oh, they always manage to succeed at critical life-saving moments, but I think all of those frustrating dice rolls and failures have made me more aware when reading the books this time around that even our canonical heroes didn't always manage to succeed each and every time they attempted something.  Look how many tries it took them before they were finally able to establish contact with Dhugal and Kelson, for instance, and even then they might never have succeeded if Dhugal hadn't also been calling out for them from his end of things.  And I'm pretty sure poor Rothana must have rolled snake eyes the day she agreed to marry Conall.  LOL!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Evie on February 11, 2018, 09:23:21 PM

Wash has a St. Camber medallion, IIRC. Maybe he should get it checked to see if the warranty ran out.   ;D

Given that it would have been cast from Alaric's, I rather doubt it. Unless you're suggesting Alaric bought his at the Gwyneddan equivalent of Walmart....  ;)

See? Look at that!  I knew Wash didn't have some "Made in the Connait" cheap knockoff medallion!   ;)  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on February 11, 2018, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: Evie on February 11, 2018, 09:23:21 PM

See? Look at that!  I knew Wash didn't have some "Made in the Connait" cheap knockoff medallion!   ;)  ;D

Washburn's Camber Medallion is most definitely the real deal, blessed by Archbishop Duncan himself. I can not believe you could even suggest otherwise.  Jesh!   LOL!
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Evie on February 11, 2018, 09:57:18 PM
I've just read TBH, TKJ, and QFSC in rapid succession in the past couple of weeks, and had not realized before how often Duncan and Alaric (among others) actually attempt things and fail rather than succeed.  Oh, they always manage to succeed at critical life-saving moments, but I think all of those frustrating dice rolls and failures have made me more aware when reading the books this time around that even our canonical heroes didn't always manage to succeed each and every time they attempted something.  Look how many tries it took them before they were finally able to establish contact with Dhugal and Kelson, for instance, and even then they might never have succeeded if Dhugal hadn't also been calling out for them from his end of things.  And I'm pretty sure poor Rothana must have rolled snake eyes the day she agreed to marry Conall.  LOL!

One thing KK cannot be accused of is always making sure the good guys win even if they have Deryni powers - Rhys, Javan *sob, sob*. I have just reread Sidana's death in TBH and thought - why did you have to make Duncan and Alaric unable to heal her ?? Definitely smakes eyes there.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on February 11, 2018, 09:53:02 PM
Why does bynw dislike the Morgans ?

LOL

I dont dislike the Morgan's at all.

Evie

Quote from: revanne on February 12, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

One thing KK cannot be accused of is always making sure the good guys win even if they have Deryni powers - Rhys, Javan *sob, sob*. I have just reread Sidana's death in TBH and thought - why did you have to make Duncan and Alaric unable to heal her ?? Definitely smakes eyes there.

Well, to be fair, not even a thoroughly trained and experienced Healer like Rhys Thuryn could have saved Sidana, given that she was bleeding out from a slashed jugular much faster than any Healer's ability to repair.  Even if Alaric and Duncan had managed between them to patch up the physical wound to stop the bleeding, the sheer volume of blood loss in those initial few seconds would surely have been enough to kill her.  Llewell did too thorough a job.  :(  But I suspect Rhys' own injury probably could have been Healed under better circumstances, but his friends and family were rolling at a disadvantage, and might have rolled ones on those single dice as well. 

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on February 12, 2018, 08:20:38 AM
Quote from: revanne on February 12, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Well, to be fair, not even a thoroughly trained and experienced Healer like Rhys Thuryn could have saved Sidana, given that she was bleeding out from a slashed jugular much faster than any Healer's ability to repair.  Even if Alaric and Duncan had managed between them to patch up the physical wound to stop the bleeding, the sheer volume of blood loss in those initial few seconds would surely have been enough to kill her.  Llewell did too thorough a job.  :(  But I suspect Rhys' own injury probably could have been Healed under better circumstances, but his friends and family were rolling at a disadvantage, and might have rolled ones on those single dice as well.

It would have helped if there'd been a Healer present who wasn't Rhys himself when Rhys fell and sustained the head injury that cost him his life; Camber tried but he wasn't a Healer, and there weren't any other Healers present (IIRC) to try to Heal the skull fracture.

It might have helped if even Evaine had been there, although she was not herself a Healer; after years of working with Rhys, she might have been able to focus his Healing energy and help him Heal himself, or she might have been able to focus Jerusha's talent that was showing even at that point when Evaine was still pregnant with Jerusha.

Alas, no.   :'(
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Evie actually the hero point worked but it should have still been a 2d6 roll. the Hero point added the number 4 to the success of 5 and 6.. Since the last roll of the 3d6 roll should be thrown away. That leaves you with a roll of 4 and 4.  those are both success rolls. Therefore your fire wall ignited in blazing glory.

Now one of the pursuer's is Deryni and one is human. I do not know which one is the closest to Washburn. the human would definitely balk. The man named Phyer , the Deryni, would slow down, he would test the illusion for what it was and then run through it. But even those seconds of delay would be helpful.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on February 12, 2018, 03:17:12 PM
Evie actually the hero point worked but it should have still been a 2d6 roll. the Hero point added the number 4 to the success of 5 and 6.. Since the last roll of the 3d6 roll should be thrown away. That leaves you with a roll of 4 and 4.  those are both success rolls. Therefore your fire wall ignited in blazing glory.

Now one of the pursuer's is Deryni and one is human. I do not know which one is the closest to Washburn. the human would definitely balk. The man named Phyer , the Deryni, would slow down, he would test the illusion for what it was and then run through it. But even those seconds of delay would be helpful.

OK, will rewrite the last bit accordingly.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I will dare to breathe again after holding my breath for a very long time....
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

QuoteHe stared up at Aliset in shock before mumbling, "Holy crap, I'm dead!"

The priest chuckled. "No, son, although I'll allow you probably feel like you'd rather be right now. Might I have a look at your wounds?"

Darcy reopened his eyes rather tentatively, staring up at Aliset.  "I am dead, and there's my ghost."

That gave a good chuckle. Darcy feeling like death warmed over, and over, and then seeing himself leaning over himself.
Poor Darcy.   
Good one!

Oh and I was thinking along the same lines about the Garderobe. Ward off a small corner. because the smell would be awful in that small space. I do hope that oxygen, carbon dioxide and smells can come and go through the wards. KK never had any trouble with people breathing while within them even for a long time.

Ok Evie, poor Wash  :o, needing to use that small warded corner first.  You will wish you had dug it deeper. dear oh dear.  ;D

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on February 13, 2018, 12:57:43 PM
QuoteHe stared up at Aliset in shock before mumbling, "Holy crap, I'm dead!"

The priest chuckled. "No, son, although I'll allow you probably feel like you'd rather be right now. Might I have a look at your wounds?"

Darcy reopened his eyes rather tentatively, staring up at Aliset.  "I am dead, and there's my ghost."

That gave a good chuckle. Darcy feeling like death warmed over, and over, and then seeing himself leaning over himself.
Poor Darcy.   
Good one!

Oh and I was thinking along the same lines about the Garderobe. Ward off a small corner. because the smell would be awful in that small space. I do hope that oxygen, carbon dioxide and smells can come and go through the wards. KK never had any trouble with people breathing while within them even for a long time.

Ok Evie, poor Wash  :o, needing to use that small warded corner first.  You will wish you had dug it deeper. dear oh dear.  ;D

I would say that is the default setting for a Ward to let air pass through. However I'm sure it could be purposely set the otherway.