• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 01:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

pretending to be Duncan

Started by revanne, December 16, 2014, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I said a while back that I was professionally allergic to Bishops - what I didn't admit is that I have a friend who is .a Bishop who sits in the House of Lords. So today I had the amazing experience of being treated to lunch in the House of Lords, followed by a ticket to sit in the public gallery to listen to question time and then my own guided tour of the Lords bit of the Palace of Westminster. Duncan would have loved it. Ah well back to reality.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

So cool!  So I take it that your professional allergy has at least one exception, if you were able to spend lunch and beyond with a bishop without breaking out in hives....   ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

That is awsome, Revanne. Playing with the who's who of London and getting a personal tour of the Lords and the palace. Any good gossip that you can share? or any one thing that stands out at the palace that caught your attention? I would love to hear about it.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

No hives! I guess what stood out was the peculiarities of the British constitution where power is in inverse proportion to status. So the House of Lords is dominated by an ornate golden throne which the Queen gets to sit on once a year to read a speech written by the Prime Minister. It was fairly surreal to see someone sitting on the steps of the throne texting. Don't think Duncan would have approved The sense of history was amazing - especially to see Westminster Hall where Charles I was tried and condemned to death in 1648. Sadly a sign of the times was to see the police all armed which for us is still not normal.. There is a private entrance from the Houses of Parliament to the nearest underground station and it felt a bit like coming out of Diagon Alley.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)