• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: judywward on June 15, 2018, 07:35:11 PM
Good writing all! I really won't be happy till that pompous ass, Jaxom, is safely out of Rhemuth.  I hope Aliset tells him never to darken her door again.  Worried for the Tinker but hopeful he will be safe & the little girl, too. I hope Wash can get away soon. Please keep on making me sit on the edge of my seat while I'm reading!

I think Lady Aliset, once she is well enough to receive visitors, will likely accept Lord Jaxom's apology with the grace of her station and character, and then quite possibly read him the Riot Act to end all Riot Acts.  (We'll just ignore the lack of historical precedent, since the actual Riot Act was not passed in England until 1715 [and actually repealed in 1967].)

It all makes me think of British and US Southern women, particularly those of older generations, who can wield words keener than the sharpest blade without ever being exactly rude.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Quote from: Jerusha on June 15, 2018, 06:35:14 PM
Though sorry Araxandra had to learn such a hard lesson.

And equally hard, if not harder, for Javan, that if he seeks to evade the consequences of his actions, others will suffer and harshly. An important lesson for a royal heir to learn.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

I can see too where Araxandra was a strong willed girl, being Kelson's eldest Haldane child. She was willing to take the punishment for her baby brother. Most likely she never once complained about it. even though her papa's final punishment must of stung like mad.

I just found this castle and I instantly thought of Rhemuth Castle.

Conwy Castle in Wales built in 1283.
Rhemuth would be three-times as big with more garden and a double wall. But I think the look is very close.

Or perhaps I will throw in a picture of Caernarfon Castle built in the same years.

May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Laurna, you are definitely taking me back to some of the happiest times of my life when the family were all growing up in Chester and these castles were all within an easy day trip.

I agree with the look for Conwy or Caernarfon but I think the location is much more that of Coroth, being on the edge of the sea.

Incidentally the beach you can see behind Caernarfon castle is Anglesey across the Menai Straits and Caernarfon is actually a corruption of Caer na fon - the castle across from Ynys Mon. You can see the Latin influence on Welsh very clearly there - Caer is Castle, (Latin castra) Ynys is island (Latin insula) and the Latin for Anglesey is Mona.

They were built by Edward I after his conquest of Wales in the 1280's, something that still rankles to this day especially in this part of North Wales, which is part of the ancient principality of Gwynedd. Think a successsful Wencit and you will get the idea. I once casually referred to Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in a north Welsh lady's hearing and she went off, as we say, like a bottle of pop "He is Not Prince of Wales. Llewelyn was the last Prince of Wales!!". Never mind the said Llewelyn died in battle in 1284.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Love the look of Conwys  for Rhemuth even though it is smaller and on the sea. Would love to tour Wales someday and see them. After the Welsh lady's comment about Prince Charles I guess it's not so unrealistic for Feyd to carry a grudge for 200 years.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Not unrealistic at all. What's a mere two hundred years between enemies.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on June 16, 2018, 01:31:31 PM
Laurna, you are definitely taking me back to some of the happiest times of my life when the family were all growing up in Chester and these castles were all within an easy day trip.

I agree with the look for Conwy or Caernarfon but I think the location is much more that of Coroth, being on the edge of the sea.

Incidentally the beach you can see behind Caernarfon castle is Anglesey across the Menai Straits and Caernarfon is actually a corruption of Caer na fon - the castle across from Ynys Mon. You can see the Latin influence on Welsh very clearly there - Caer is Castle, (Latin castra) Ynys is island (Latin insula) and the Latin for Anglesey is Mona.

They were built by Edward I after his conquest of Wales in the 1280's, something that still rankles to this day especially in this part of North Wales, which is part of the ancient principality of Gwynedd. Think a successsful Wencit and you will get the idea. I once casually referred to Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in a north Welsh lady's hearing and she went off, as we say, like a bottle of pop "He is Not Prince of Wales. Llewelyn was the last Prince of Wales!!". Never mind the said Llewelyn died in battle in 1284.

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 16, 2018, 01:44:09 PM
Love the look of Conwys  for Rhemuth even though it is smaller and on the sea. Would love to tour Wales someday and see them. After the Welsh lady's comment about Prince Charles I guess it's not so unrealistic fir Feyd to carry a grudge for 200 years.

Quote from: revanne on June 16, 2018, 01:47:10 PM
Not unrealistic at all. What's a mere two hundred years between enemies.

In the US, we think a hundred years is a long time, and in Europe, they think a hundred miles (~160 km) is a long drive.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

I must say I am disappointed  that four Arilans, including Denis, failed to find and rescue Wash and now Kelson feels he can't pursue the search for Wash. I guess he really is alone in a really bad situation.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Wash being alone is what gives the story dramatic tension, and  we have a long way to go yet. From a writer's perspective having to deal with bad dice rolls and scheming gamesmasters ( I do love you really Bynw) can be frustrating but is what gives the challenge.

In terms of this story- think Deryni Checkmate where all seemed to be disastrous but then came High Deryni.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Well I have to say all of you do keep us on the edge  of our seats wondering  what will happen next. Someone mentioned  a similarity to the old movie serials  that I remember  as a child where  they left you hanging at the end of one weeks installment  waiting impatiently for the next. Only with those you had to wait a whole week to see what happened next. Hope we don't have to wait that long. And those dice can be wicked.

Laurna

I feel like that is what we are writing, a suspense mini-series that builds on itself and is acted out as it is written.Trouble is no one, not the characters, the authors or even the game-master know just what is going to happen next. Behind the scenes, there is a lot of note passing. I am sorry you don't get to see a lot of that. The notes are a lot of fun. They are often filled with encouragement and thoughts on the future. Also the notes help us keep this whole thing together. They often say things like; "my character needs to do this next, but I will wait for your character to do that thing you said you wanted to do first." Or things like "What the heck do I write now. I need to write about this, but I feel lost."  That last was just me yesterday. 

The ladies offered a good idea. So the wheels are back to turning. Eventually, I will get something written. The trouble is, I am not just writing my own character who I feel completely in tune with. Unfortunately at the moment, he has only a very limited troubled story line. I have to pull away from Washburn at the moment and piece together the Arilans. Those are four men who are very different in character from what I am use to. 

So since yesterday, to get a better sense of what and where we are,  I decided it was time to re-read all that has happened since arriving in Rhemuth. I am enjoying the read. I think I messed up the timing a little bit in there (Jerusha and Revanne had it two-three hours from Dhugal's call to Duncan's Portal jump. Yet I think I had it 6 hours from Dhugal's call to Sextus jump to the portal with Washburn.  So some of what I wrote will need to be edited to make if fit better, that is if this ever goes any further than this web site.) ((Wouldn't it be fun to get permission from KK to have this story edited and published on self-publishing at amazon so that all of the proceeds could go to pay for the forum website. That would be the most awesome thing ever. Sorry I am a dreamer.)) 

Back to the Arilans.  I will try to get some writing in today. And see if I can get something posted.
Happy Father's day, to everyone.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

You do an amazing job keeping track of it all Laurna, Columcil's excuse is that he is focused on eternity and doesn't notice a few little discrepancies in hours!

My problem is that I can see all sorts of back stories that I want to explore which have absolutely nothing to do with the plot and make posting anything take for ever because I have to silence all the voices saying "this is interesting..."
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

A terrific idea Laurna .
Quick question. Is the Camberian  Council still in existence? Would they get involved in this?

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 17, 2018, 01:54:40 PM
A terrific idea Laurna .
Quick question. Is the Camberian  Council still in existence? Would they get involved in this?

Yes the Camberian Council still exists. The elderly Bishop Denis Arilan is still a member. But as always they are involved in discussions for the proper course of action to take, if any, in this current crisis. So they probably wont be involved in this storyline at all, except mentioned in passing from time to time.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

Slightly modified my last two posts to allow the day to end in Rhemuth. I know the summer days will be long (if we are talking British latitudes about 3 am until 9pm given that summer time hadn't been invented) but would end sometime!

And modified again to fit in with Laurna's timeline.

Great addition Laurna. Great to see Brendan.

(Psalm 46 v1)