• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Alaric's Morgan Relatives

Started by Elkhound, March 25, 2009, 03:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 13, 2015, 05:58:16 PM
I just finished KD, and it seems that you can't go three steps without tripping over some relative of Alaric's.  From the Kelson books, I was under the impression that Alaric was, aside from Duncan and Bronwyn, all alone in the world.

By the time of Deryni Rising, he quite likely was, whether due to deaths or deliberate isolation from those too close a connection with him might end up harming, etc. I'll let your mind sort through the probable implications of all that, given the preponderance of people like Loris, Darby, and DeNore in power during those intervening years. Bronwyn would have been impossible for him to disassociate from, of course, being too widely known as his sister, and Duncan has the advantage of being both a Duke's son and (as far as the world knows) only distantly related to Alaric. Even as rabidly anti-Deryni a man as Alexander Darby never suspected that Duncan might be Deryni when he ordained him. An elderly aunt, on the other hand, could easily have died a natural death in the interim, and as for his other human Morgan relations, they lack even the few protections that Duncan and Bronwyn had. Anything could have happened to them before the opening of DR, from violent deaths to simply fading as unobtrusively into the background as possible in order to survive.

Of those closest to Morgan, Sir Se would have had the best chance of both remaining alive and close(ish) to Morgan, but it's quite likely he died young, with Vera also dying not long after, since Morgan grew up without receiving proper training. (KK has confirmed this even though TKD ends before these events happened, but we can also extrapolate that they died young from things said in the Deryni Chronicles and from Morgan's and Duncan's incomplete training.) But Sir Se is also an Anviller, so who knows what sort of dire fate he might have ended up with just in the course of normal duties, if not during some return trip to Gwynedd to visit young Morgan. As mentioned above, consider what is already known and let your mind fill in the blanks of what likely happened to all of his family and close childhood associations from there.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

janetaba

Quote from: BalanceTheEnergies on April 20, 2009, 04:59:21 AM
QuoteHow soon we forget.

'Fraid so. I loaned nearly all of my KK books (and a number of others) and did not get them back. ) I think I have ITKS somewhere...) Also, I have yet to buy CM or the Codex, so I have to borrow from the library when I want to reread.  :-\  I've put editions (preferably hardbound) of all the Deryni books on my Amazon wish list, but on my paltry income, the list is likely to remain wishful thinking.

I just ordered two books to replace two that I've misplaced. I am eagerly awaiting Saint Camber and Camber the Heretic in hardback to go with the Camber of Culdi in hardback that I found in a thrift store a few years back. The two that I've misplaced are Camber of Culdi and Saint Camber in paperback. I loaned them to dear hubbie, and now we can't find them.

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on June 13, 2015, 08:57:33 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on June 13, 2015, 05:58:16 PM
I just finished KD, and it seems that you can't go three steps without tripping over some relative of Alaric's.  From the Kelson books, I was under the impression that Alaric was, aside from Duncan and Bronwyn, all alone in the world.
as for his other human Morgan relations, they lack even the few protections that Duncan and Bronwyn had. Anything could have happened to them before the opening of DR, from violent deaths to simply fading as unobtrusively into the background as possible in order to survive.

Alaric's father was known to be a good man, human, and in the favor of the king. Alaric's three elder half-sisters are human and each married quietly to live away from the social problems that face Alaric each day. Geill married a knight under Duke Jared's protection, thereby her children should have a similar protection that Duncan had, as long as they don't go boasting in Rhemuth about their Deryni Uncle. I am sure those kids were kept in Cassan far away from the capital and from Corwyn. I worry about the youngest half-sister Alazais, her husband Llion and their children. Llion was very close to Alaric and something ill-fated could have very easily befell the residence of Morganhall. I hope not! As for Zoe and Jovett, their children are half-Deryni. Jovett should have had a descent training before Ahern died. Therefore, he should have been able to teach his children. So why not help young Alaric, too? Either they were forced into hiding or Lendour was not as protected a Castle as I hope that it should be. Someday, KK may give us an answer.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Perhaps now that Kelson is safely married off and Alaric has his heir-and-a-spare, a Morgan Family Reunion is in order.

tenworld

I always had an impression of Lendour as this mysterious mist hidden remote castle.  Perhaps that was done with Deryni magic and Alaric's relatives are helping but in the background, just as Denis was doing in Rhemuth.

Laurna

Quote from: tenworld on June 16, 2015, 09:27:43 AM
I always had an impression of Lendour as this mysterious mist hidden remote castle.  Perhaps that was done with Deryni magic...

Tenworld. I love your impression. I agree that the whole Lendour mountain range is a rough landscape, often shrouded in mist. Mists of magic? Mythology plays it's own games on the unsuspecting.  ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Demercia

I find it entirely plausible that Alaric drifted a bit apart from his Morgan relatives, without there being any fall out, or necessary catastrophe.   He, Duncan, Bronwyn and Kevin seem to have formed a sort of (metaphorical) magic circle in adolescence, and given the distances and lack of communication it would be easy for other bonds to become less important.  Especially as Alaric grew into his ducal responsibilities, which came through his mother.  It would be natural for the links with Llion to lessen as Llion had his own children, especially as I can imagine Llion being humble enough to allow Jared to step into the role of substitute father, reasoning that he was better placed to help Alaric understand the role of a Duke.  And none of his Morgan relatives, even those half Deryni, would really have been able to appreciate the strain of being an outed Deryni in the hot house of the court.   It is understandable why he would turn more and more to Duncan, especially as Duncan had his own reasons for needing someone who understood. And then there is the complexity  of his friendship with Bryon.  But, having said all that, I think it is also possible to doubt if Alaric really was as isolated as he wants to feel in DR, he does have rather a talent for self-dramatisation which may not entirely reflect reality.   
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Elkhound

Quote from: Demercia on June 21, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
But, having said all that, I think it is also possible to doubt if Alaric really was as isolated as he wants to feel in DR, he does have rather a talent for self-dramatisation which may not entirely reflect reality.

One forgets how young Alaric is; he's not that much more than an adolescent himself when he's trying to mentor Kelson.  (In one of the "Dear Abby" letters, I had K describe his late father's ward as 'a bit too old to be my big brother, but not quite old enough to be my uncle, but the relationship is a bit of both.')  I suppose his wearing black would be the equivalent of what today we'd call 'going all emo.'

I still think that holding a Morgan Family Reunion at the Castle might be a good idea.  Perhaps Richenda could suggest it--she is looking through accounts of his early life an noticing all those Morgan relatives, "What became of them, dear?  Surely they aren't all dead--and those who are surely have descendants?"  "Well, I've just sort of lost track of them. . ."  "Well, now that we have established a family of our own, it is time that Bryony and Kelric start meeting their cousins. "

Shiral

Quote from: Demercia on June 21, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
I find it entirely plausible that Alaric drifted a bit apart from his Morgan relatives, without there being any fall out, or necessary catastrophe.   He, Duncan, Bronwyn and Kevin seem to have formed a sort of (metaphorical) magic circle in adolescence, and given the distances and lack of communication it would be easy for other bonds to become less important.  Especially as Alaric grew into his ducal responsibilities, which came through his mother.  It would be natural for the links with Llion to lessen as Llion had his own children, especially as I can imagine Llion being humble enough to allow Jared to step into the role of substitute father, reasoning that he was better placed to help Alaric understand the role of a Duke.  And none of his Morgan relatives, even those half Deryni, would really have been able to appreciate the strain of being an outed Deryni in the hot house of the court.   It is understandable why he would turn more and more to Duncan, especially as Duncan had his own reasons for needing someone who understood. And then there is the complexity  of his friendship with Bryon.  But, having said all that, I think it is also possible to doubt if Alaric really was as isolated as he wants to feel in DR, he does have rather a talent for self-dramatisation which may not entirely reflect reality.

Morgan also may have done it to protect them, insofar as it was possible.  So they could say  "Oh yes, he's a relative, but we never see him these days...."

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Maybe when Kelson was a little boy, Alaric was just out of adolescence, but by the time DR begins, he is 29 years old. Definitely well beyond adolescence at that point, especially in a culture that considered Kelson a full legal adult--albeit a young one--by 14.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Demercia

Quote from: Evie on June 21, 2015, 07:02:36 PM
Maybe when Kelson was a little boy, Alaric was just out of adolescence, but by the time DR begins, he is 29 years old. Definitely well beyond adolescence at that point, especially in a culture that considered Kelson a full legal adult--albeit a young one--by 14.
The perils of clumsy phrasing :). What I intended to imply is that a pattern that was set  in Alaric's adolescence.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Elkhound

Quote from: Demercia on June 22, 2015, 01:00:08 AM
Quote from: Evie on June 21, 2015, 07:02:36 PM
The perils of clumsy phrasing :). What I intended to imply is that a pattern that was set  in Alaric's adolescence.
Also, because he was forced into an adult role far too young even by the standards of his time, he may have reverted once the crisies were over.  Much as Kelson did--at his coronation, during the Mearan Crisis, during the Connal affair he behaved like a young man much older than his years--and then in KKB turned into a whiney brat.

derynifanatic64

I will remain optimistic and will believe that Alaric's half-sisters and their families are all alive and doing well by KKB.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!