• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Hello everyone,

Started by Demercia, May 29, 2015, 02:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

I have finally managed to get myself organised to stop lurking and to sign up to the forum.  Hard to believe that two years ago I had never heard of KK, or Alaric, or Duncan, or Se, or.... I was introduced to the world of the Deryni by Revanne, my sister, on a family holiday (ours is the sort of family where, if you put a book down to go and make a cup of coffee, someone else is reading it by the time you come back).  I was instantly hooked.  So, hello everyone, and please keep on writing the fanfic.  If I pluck up enough courage I might even have a go myself, but,  given how long it took me to come up with a user name, I should probably aim for the thousand year anniversary of Killingford.   Demercia, of Mercia, is because I live in the English Midlands, in Anglo-Saxon times part of the kingdom of Mercia.  I thought Amercia, from Mercia, would confuse the auto-correct too much:-). 
Here's hoping this will post where I intend it to, at some point I will work out how to add a photo, quotation etc, but such things are beyond a new page!
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Demercia

As you see, I managed the photo.  And introduced the cat too, of course.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Laurna

Demercia, welcome, welcome.
As Revanne's sister, you are already part of the family. So do not hesitate to join in. We love to talk about fan-fiction, all kinds of pets- cats, dogs, horses, birds and even fish (flying fish is a specialty). ;D We also love food and cakes and sharing recipes. And most assuredly, some of us love Alaric, and some of us love Duncan, and then there is Rhys and Camber and Joram fans (I believe the last is Revanne's favorite.) And lets not foget the Deryni ladies Richenda, Evaine and Araxie. And all of us admire KK and her world of Deryni and are prone to getting lost in the magic. So join in the Rapport, you are welcome here.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Seems a bit daft but let's do it formally.

Welcome on board Demercia.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Welcome, Demercia! Your cat looks like my Luke!  I wondered for a brief moment last night if you might be revanne's sister, just because that "-mercia" bit clued me in, but then I thought "Naaaaaah, now you're just making way too much out of random coincidence!" I should have trusted my Deryni instincts. :)

Yes, I can see how Amercia might be worrisome to Auto-correct, being quite close to America. If it kept on changing that, you might wake up some morning to wonder why there's a Stars and Stripes flag in the front garden and you can't say "aluminium" properly. But I find it even more worrisome, because instead of my mind reverting to Norman French with "at/to Mercia," it immediately flashed back to a more Latinate (or is it Greek?) "without Mercia." And suddenly I find myself wondering what would happen if the former kingdom of Mercia were to mysteriously vanish off the map! Wouldn't there be a gaping hole left right in the middle of England for the ocean to rush into and fill in?  Oh, the humanity, and all the Anglians screaming "Where'd this blumming beach just come from!" They'd scratch their heads and wonder over a soothing cuppa, because stiff upper lip and all that, and one must keep calm and carry on. It would, of course, add to the pastoral crises on the list, as once the initial catastrophe was over, there'd be the head counting, and the filling of lifeboats and sorting of lifejackets, not to mention all the funerals, and possibly even the weddings of survivors who decide not to put off the attainment of marital bliss any longer because who knows what life will throw at you, and then there'd be the christenings of babies from all those Mums who went into spontaneous labor from the world having shifted out from under them so suddenly.  Sounds like far too much work to me, so I'm glad you went with Demercia rather than Amercia.  Saved yourself a whole lot of bother that way.  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Welcome to our extended family, Demercia!  Glad you joined us.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Hi Demercia!

So IIRC, you and revanne are twins, yes?

BTW, I'm DesertRose, (an Arizona native, hence the username, but currently living in Florida) the person with administrator permissions who actually has time to play on the forum.  :)  (There are a few others, too.  Bynw is the one who hosts the forum, website, and chat room, but I'm the one [out of the administrators of the forum] who mostly does the admin stuff, like approving new users' accounts.)

Welcome aboard, and I know you're in the UK, so Sunday chat at its usual time runs a bit late for you, but I'd guess revanne has told you that we do early chat on the first Sunday of the month (5:00 p.m./17:00 US Eastern, which would be about 22:00 your time, if I'm doing the conversion correctly, as opposed to 7:00 p.m./19:00 as is usual) to allow European/UK fans to join in without being sleep-deprived on Monday.  :D 

Previous chat logs have their own little subforum, and you are welcome to read them to get a feel for how silly we act in chat.  :)  The chat room can be a bit quiet at times that are not Sunday evenings when we're expecting a KK visit, but sometimes there's someone in there.  If you pop into chat and my username is in there (or any variant thereof such as DR_doing_dishes or DR_sewing), say hi and, if I'm at my keyboard, I'll chat with you.

In any case, I already said it, but welcome!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Yes, the chatroom is more likely to have people in it at certain times during the weekdays. For instance, I tend to end up there during my lunch break quite often, which is usually around noon to 1:00 pm here, so more like 6:00 to 7:00 pm in your area, if I have the time zone conversion right. If a person is logged on chat but busy doing other stuff (you might see a name like "EvieWriting" or "DR_cooking," just say something like "Hello EvieWriting" and the chat window's tab should give me a little scrolling message telling me that someone said my name. (I use a tabbed browser, so normally have several browser windows open at one time, and might not be in the chat window at the moment.) If I happen to notice that window's tab is saying that, I'll pop back in and join the chat.  This might take several minutes, though, since if I'm writing or doing something else I might not notice for a bit. Or if you see other people are on the Forum, you can type a line in the Shoutbox section that you will be in the chatroom for a bit, and if they hear the sound alert and see your message (and have the time to chat), that will sometimes draw people in, since sometimes people don't bother to check the Chatroom because they assume no one else is going to be there.

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Hello and Welcome, Demercia.  8) Pull up a chair, sit down, pick up the cat, and tell us why you love Alaric.  (For the record, I also love Duncan, but I'm not coming between Evie and her fave.) And for that matter, tell us why you love all the other denizens of the XI Kingdoms.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Aerlys

Welcome! This will be fun, having two sisters on the forum. Glad you finally ceased lurking.

Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 08:24:38 AM
But I find it even more worrisome, because instead of my mind reverting to Norman French with "at/to Mercia," it immediately flashed back to a more Latinate (or is it Greek?) "without Mercia."

Normally, "without Mercia" would be sine Mercia,  while de in Latin usually denotes "from" or "concerning." So "Demercia" hasn't sent me into an existential quandry. (Wow, Evie, you really flew off on a tangent on that one!0
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on May 29, 2015, 12:10:35 PM
Welcome! This will be fun, having two sisters on the forum. Glad you finally ceased lurking.

Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 08:24:38 AM
But I find it even more worrisome, because instead of my mind reverting to Norman French with "at/to Mercia," it immediately flashed back to a more Latinate (or is it Greek?) "without Mercia."

Normally, "without Mercia" would be sine Mercia,  while de in Latin usually denotes "from" or "concerning." So "Demercia" hasn't sent me into an existential quandry. (Wow, Evie, you really flew off on a tangent on that one!0

Ah, OK. I was thinking of the 'a-' prefix as in 'amoral' or 'atypical' or 'atheist.' Is it of Greek derivation, then?

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 01:11:17 PM

Ah, OK. I was thinking of the 'a-' prefix as in 'amoral' or 'atypical' or 'atheist.' Is it of Greek derivation, then?

Both, I believe, though I am rusty on my Greek, but Latin has it's own Greek origins. "Amoral" is more Latinate, from ab or a while "atheist" is definitely derived from Greek.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on May 29, 2015, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 01:11:17 PM

Both, I believe, though I am rusty on my Greek, but Latin has it's own Greek origins. "Amoral" is more Latinate, from ab or a while "atheist" is definitely derived from Greek.

So if one is in the middle of a Deryni ritual and "Amercia" is referenced, it's best to pay careful attention to the rubric lest a major portion of Old England suddenly vanish without warning? See, that's the possibility that scares me, and why I think "Demercia" is much safer.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 01:29:32 PM

So if one is in the middle of a Deryni ritual and "Amercia" is referenced, it's best to pay careful attention to the rubric lest a major portion of Old England suddenly vanish without warning? See, that's the possibility that scares me, and why I think "Demercia" is much safer.  ;D

So I enthuse to my sister about what a lovely group of people you all are on the forum and persuade her to stop lurking and next thing I know a large part of our country is threatened with disappearing without trace. It's not as though it was very big to start with ::)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on May 29, 2015, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: Evie on May 29, 2015, 01:29:32 PM

So I enthuse to my sister about what a lovely group of people you all are on the forum and persuade her to stop lurking and next thing I know a large part of our country is threatened with disappearing without trace. It's not as though it was very big to start with ::)

Fortunately there's no need to worry about that now since your sister chose the safer name option, and at any rate such a disaster would have to have happened centuries ago, since for it to be a problem now she'd have to name herself Amerseyside, and that's got much less of a catchy ring to it.

--WARNING!!!--