• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220
DerynifanK
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Lurker no more!

Started by Aerlys, August 19, 2013, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

* Evie dies laughing!

That reads so much like life at my house, minus a few extra kids, though mine both have ADHD like their mother, so having two high energy kids sometimes makes me feel like I've got seven!  Since I don't have the hyperactivity myself, just the space-cadetness, I've learned to sit patiently through the whirlwind and hyperfocus enough to tune out the worst of the chaos.  Though enough of the confusion eventually seeps in through my mental shields and--oh look, a bird!--there goes my train of thought derailing with a screech and squeal of brakes!

I know all about the little voices (no, not those little voices, the Deryni narrators!) speaking up at inopportune times.  My husband has offered to buy me a grease pencil so that I can at least scrawl story notes on the shower walls.  But I've yet to get the crew inside my head to shut up while I'm driving and wait until I'm seated in front of a keyboard.  And even when it comes to things that aren't in the least bit plot related...well, you should hear the comments they make about the stuff that goes in my grocery cart or at Walmart!

You are nuts.  Otherwise you probably wouldn't be here.  So get to writing already!   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

OK, now I *need* to read some of your writing. I'm thinking it will be excellent.

Small targets. 200 words a day. You'd have a novel at the end of a year.

OK, so it'd be a shortish novel. And unedited. But hey...

Evie

Aerlys wrote in her intro post:

Quote(I love the "Adsum Domine", and always wanted to put it to Gregorian Chant., but, alas, I lack the talent, though in college I nearly attempted to translate the whole thing into Latin.) 

In that case, you might be interested in what I just discovered online:

http://www.mewsic.com/ed/music/AdsumDomine/index.html

I loves me some interwebs!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Note to self:
Posting in th fanfic section will be rather like giving birth, only worse, since no one will tell you how ugly your baby really is.

Except maybe my dad, who said our daughter looked like Oliver Hardy.

She did.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on August 21, 2013, 05:37:57 PM
Note to self:
Posting in th fanfic section will be rather like giving birth, only worse, since no one will tell you how ugly your baby really is.

Except maybe my dad, who said our daughter looked like Oliver Hardy.

She did.

LOL!

That's OK, ours looked like Yoda.  But she got better.   :D

BABYYODA (1) by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from Evie:
QuoteThere go my plans for visiting your world once that volcano calms down a bit....

Volcano?

**Aerlys looks hopefully out the window at Mt. Rainier. All is quiet. She sighs resignedly. Realizes Evie wasn't talking to her. Darn, she still has to clean the bathroom tomorrow...**

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

Evie, great link to the "Adsum Domine." Very nice. I'd love to hear it sung.

Still, I imagined it more plainsong chant, and emotionally captivating like the "Crux Fidelis". Translation was good, too, though I do know that there is a different style for writing Latin poetry.  Missed that class.when I transferred to a different college...

Here's a very nice recording of "Crux Fidelis "so you get the sense of what I imagine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nIxNlhAD0&feature=share&list=PL5A771E205A8A6704

Now, imagine something like this resonating through St. Neot's Abbey...

Ahhhh....

I'm off to write now. Everyone else is abed!

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

My laptop went on the fritz and I missed this until I fixed it this morning (some vacation!)  :(

Aerlys, your story ideas have me wanting to read more, but your "real life" seems almost as entertaining.   :)  Glad you've joined us!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I love plainsong chant, Aerlys, so feel free to go all Hildegard von Bingen on us if the spirit moves!  Years ago, I used to have a cassette tape of Gregorian chants--from an Easter Mass, I think?--that I would play softly in the background as "mood music" while reading the Deryni books.

One of our local churches is having a "Trash and Treasure" church-wide yard sale in September, and our SCA group was helping them sort through the donated books & CDs and put them in categories.  We use their church as a meeting place, so instead of paying a meeting room fee, we end up helping out with yardwork or events like this where they need some extra bodies on hand to do large jobs.  If we found anything particularly interesting while helping sort through the stuff, we were allowed to set things aside to keep (within reason, of course!  No walking out with a free TV set!), and one of the "treasures" I brought home was a CD of Russian liturgical music.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but when I do, I'm sure I'll feel like I'm visiting the Hagios Iob in Torenth.   :D

Yes, quick, while everyone else has magically transformed into beds, now's your chance to write!  No, wait, not quite what you meant, is it?  Oh well, whatever works.

I would envy your view of Mt. Rainier, except that I've lived in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius before, and having seen what's left of Pompeii and Herculaneum, I'll stick to living in central Alabama.  Never mind that my part of the country is smack dab in Tornado Alley.  I supposed every place has its drawbacks.   At least our tornadoes tend to miss more than they hit, sort of like the stormtroopers in Star Wars, come to think....  :)

Jerusha, I'm glad your laptop got fixed just in time to post a new chapter so we don't all go into Jana withdrawal!

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Ah, yes, Gregorian Chant is very much a part of my life and my liturgy, having attended the Latin Mass all my life. When combined with the rituals of the season (like the Crux Fidelis with Good Friday), it has a power of its own. Maybe that's why I've always liked KK so much. I can relate.

Mt. Rainier is blessedly silent. Fortunately we don't live in the valley, so we wouldn't be in the path of the mud flow, only the ash. As dusty as my house is, I figure no one would notice.

Speaking as a native Midwesterner, the weather out here is BOOOORRRRRING!!! Thunderstorms are rare and wimpy, very little snow, just...rain. Slow. Dreary. Rain. Sigh.  I don't miss tornadoes, though.

And thank you to Jerusha and AnnieUK (apologies if I miisaed anyone) for your kind words and making me feel welcome. I'm writing again--YAY! We'll see how it goes...

Hilaire Belloc

Goscamber

My Mom lived on Vashon Island for several years.  I visited Tacoma when I was 11, staying with a great-uncle and aunt for a few weeks.  Also met my maternal grandma for the first time.  She and my Mom were estranged and until we starting planning the trip from Ohio, I thought she was dead!