• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Happy Birthday Desert Rose!

Started by Jerusha, January 12, 2015, 05:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

My Mom used to make that cake and yes, VERY yummy!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Thank you, @Laurna (and yes, that's pretty much what the cake looks like ;) ) and @Jerusha !

Apparently the reason the recipe came to the attention of America's Test Kitchen was that someone wrote in about their mother having made it but one of the products she (the mother) used is no longer being produced/sold, so the ATK bakers got to work figuring out a way to make it work with baking ingredients one can still find in most supermarkets.

One of the funnier (to me: admittedly I have a weird sense of humor sometimes) instructions on the ATK recipe is that you can't do the toothpick test on this cake (the way you can most other cakes and quick breads) because the center is supposed to be gooey, so they give some other way to test for doneness (it might be to touch the cake [the top of it as it's in the oven, but it'll be the bottom of the cake as served because of the shape of bundt cake pans] and check for a certain texture or spring-back).
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DesertRose

I almost got a new great-niece for a birthday present!  She was born at 11 pm last night.  I don't know her name yet, but my niece is doing well (or as well as anyone who just had a baby is going to be).

Laurna

That is fantastic.
Congratulations for the new(likely tired)happy parents.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Happy Birthday, Desert Rose! Here, have a palace for your birthday cake!
Hugs, and hope the year ahead is easier, happier and healthier for you in all respects.
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

HoundMistress

Happy Birthday, DR! Hope you had a great day!
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.