• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165
Facebook External hit (5)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

rise of Deryni

Started by tenworld, January 01, 2020, 08:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenworld

This post contains slight spoilers about Star Wars IX.

I just watched episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker and found it interesting that JEDI tricks now include healing. I have always thought that Jedi were basically Deryni in the future and their powers in ROS are more like Deryni than ever.

I think the possibility that Lucas had used Deryni as part of his inspiration (the timing is right as far as when KK first published) was discussed before. Perhaps when he writes his autobiography he will mention this.

I found it ironic and amusing that I was watching a movie with my grandchildren about undoing acts of an evil grandfather.
And as far as the criticism that the movie "panders to the fan base", I still hope KK will pander to us and write the 948 story.

Bynw

Katherine herself makes a connection between the Deryni and the Jedi of Star Wars in the book Deryni Magic at the beginning where she talks about the definition of what is Deryni magic.

No, the magic that concerns the Deryni is akin to the magic of Merlin and King
Arthur, or perhaps the Force taught by Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi, in terms of more modern
mythology.

Jedi Healing had been a part of the Star Wars canon for decades until the House of Mouse acquired LucasFilm and toss out everything of the Expanded Universe that was canon under the rule of Lucas. Sadly that is why the sequel trilogy is not up to par with a lot of fans. They are good flix but they aren't the best.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

tenworld

thank you, I had forgotten that quote.

Laurna

I think I read more than thirty books written by various authors about the StarWars universe. And the one thing that all the books agreed upon was that Leia and Han had three children; a set of twins boy and girl, and then a son. I loved most everything about that happy family and their exploits. When the new star wars trilogy came out, I was very disappointed there was but one son(an evil, horrible, gross to even look upon, monster how looks and acts nothing like his parents, a changeling if you ask me) and Han an Leia had broken up, YUCK! Well, I have not yet seen the last movie, I will catch it on TV some time.  To me that is not cannon but very bad fan fiction. I cannot imagine that Lucus had intended it to be this way all along.

As for the Jedi being so similar to Deryni, I agree. I believe the Deryni were first. I have no trouble seeing the Deryni's eleven kingdoms brought to the scene with the same sense of mind control that Obi Wan uses or that Luke uses in his fight scenes. Now that would be fun.
May your horses have wings and fly!

tenworld

I read the supposedly canon novels too for VII,VIII,IX, and was disappointed they didn't follow at least the twin idea. I wondered at first if Rey was going to be the twin just as Leia was hidden, and later that that was intentional misdirection by Abrams.

When they make the Deryni movie they can have Morgan lose his steel sword and pull out a light saber (just kidding).

Laurna

Quote from: tenworld on January 02, 2020, 10:49:36 AM

When they make the Deryni movie they can have Morgan lose his steel sword and pull out a light saber (just kidding).

LOL! Oh, I don't think that would look right, not at all.  :P ;)
I have a nice light saber from saberforge, two actually. A very cool gadget, those are. They say the main difference between sword fighting and saber fighting is that swords only have one cutting/leading edge; where as light sabers cut from all edges( and of course they'll lazer anything in two.) I am certain Morgan can master any weapon you give him. but let us let him stay with a good sword. I love to see a good sword fight in the movies.

revanne

My apologies that this quite serious discussion led my imagination astray.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on January 03, 2020, 04:59:42 AM
My apologies that this quite serious discussion led my imagination astray.

LOL  not so "Quite serious".  And I am quite pleased that it pulled your imagination into going astray. LOL.   Isn't that what this is all about? Playing with ideas and following them down the rabbit hole. HEHE. Apology not required. Imagination turned on full blast and speed ahead.

JediMatt1000

Didn't Tavis shoot lightning from his finger tips in one of the prequel books? A little bit of dark side for a Deryni?
"Be the change you wish to see."