• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 85
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:03:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Work In Progress: Cathedral

Started by Shiral, October 14, 2019, 01:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

Your cathedral is amazing! So much meticulous work is going into it. I love watching the project develop and can't wait to see the finished project.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Shiral

Thanks, DFK. 
Hi everyone, here are the sides and the Eastern end of the cathedral to look at. For the east end, I made the background black to make the actual structure easier to see. And yes, the north and the south side photos were taken on two different days and in different lighting conditions.  I've lightened the windows in all pictures so that you could see the "stained glass" windows more easily. The South Transept Rose window colors are oranges and yellows for Saint Michael, and the North Side, they are green and blue for St. Uriel.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

I love the clear story windows. Really cool. and the north and south door archways are well done.
Thankyou for sharing, Shiral.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

@Shiral does excellent work. She's made a few of these structures over the years. And I am always impressed by how good they look and how well made they are ... art in that form isnt one of my gifts.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

Shiral, the cathedral is beautiful, such painstaking detail, so elegant. I was trying to get a feel for how big it is. I could imagine Duncan or Thomas Cardiel saying mass inside for the king and his court. Thank you so much for sharing.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Shiral

Well, if they all took shrinking pills, they  might be able to fit. =o) But they'd find it really cramped. And alas, the interior will be nothing like the exterior. I just can't see my way clear to try to create itty bitty groin vaulting. the exterior of the cathedral is quite extravagant enough in terms of how much decoration it requires.

To give you an idea, the base is about 11" wide x 17"long. lThe spire, which is the tallest point, is about 12.5" high. The two towers are about 9.5" high. The central part, which is the nave and the transept has walls 6" high by the time it has a roof the roof line will be about 8." The nave and the transept are 2" wide. Where the Nave and Transept meet are the widest part, and it's about 6" wide from end to end. The nave, from east end to west, is approximately 11" long  By the time I add the flying buttresses near the end of the process, they will add another inch of width at the sides, and about another inch of length at the eastern end.

Melissa

Shiral

More Cathedral Progress, today. I added the lower walls along the sides and the eastern end, and the five semi-circular chapels. Next phase will be roofing.

Laurna

Wow, Shiral! That is fantastic. Love the east end and the side additions. I can not wait to see it with the roof additions.

Jerusha

It's magnificent, Shiral, and it's not even done yet!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

A new update. Working on the roof for my cathedral.  Here it is with most of the supportive armature in place.  (No, this is not what the final roof will look like.) Just as in the real world "Measure twice (or thrice or four or five times) cut ONCE"  is a good rule to follow.

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

Your cathedral is truly amazing. Can't wait to see it finished.

Laurna

This is going to be fantastic with the painted roof. Good job!

Shiral

Got some new Cathedral pictures for you all. The cathedral now has a roof!  Most of what I still have to add are the flying buttresses, and other  decorative detailing. And yes, it's going to need some gargoyles, or Paddy won't think it's a proper cathedral.