• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Finally read it! My reaction to the book...

Started by Raksha the Demon, September 27, 2014, 05:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

I think that Connell went wrong through jealousy of Dhugal.  As Kelson's first cousin about the same age, he expected to be Kelson's surrogate brother and confidant, and when he was displaced by Dhugall--a total outsider to both the Royal Family and to the Kingdom's central power structure--he just couldn't stand it.

Of course, he was an arrogant, entitled jerk who didn't understand that most of his troubles were of his own making.  But I agree that he wasn't quite a sociopath; we never hear of him as a child setting fires, wetting the bed, or torturing animals.

revanne

I love it when we see things totally differently. I think Dhugal comes back into Kelson's affections because Conall behaves like such a jerk on the expedition, although I admit that Conall might have cause for jealousy thereafter. But the signs are already there

I do wonder though whether Nigel is simply too good to live up to... does the man have no failings!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Quote from: revanne on October 03, 2014, 11:27:04 AM
I love it when we see things totally differently. I think Dhugal comes back into Kelson's affections because Conall behaves like such a jerk on the expedition, although I admit that Conall might have cause for jealousy thereafter. But the signs are already there.

Well, yes; if it hadn't been Dhugal to displace Conall in Kelson's affections it might have been someone else, given Conall's personality.  Or, alternatively, Conall would have remained as Kelson's right-hand-man but without the real warm affection; but Conall would have done his duty and done it well.

I also agree that sending Conall away might have been problematic for the reasons cited, although I still maintain that it would have been good for him.

tenworld

I do wonder though whether Nigel is simply too good to live up to... does the man have no failings!

Would Nigel be ruthless enough to be king? He is a perfect Uncle/adviser but is he decisive?  Or maybe installing the Haldane potential would change him?

Raksha the Demon

I love it when we see things totally differently. I think Dhugal comes back into Kelson's affections because Conall behaves like such a jerk on the expedition, although I admit that Conall might have cause for jealousy thereafter. But the signs are already there

I've always liked Nigel; but he does have failings.  It was rather cruel of him to refuse to have anything to do with Conall's innocent infant children after Conall's execution; though I think Nigel did so because he felt guilt and sorrow and anger over Conall's treachery, not out of anger at the children.  But aside from that one aberration, Nigel would indeed a hard act to live up to for any of his sons.