• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 140
Total: 140

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Great writing Jerusha. Actually I felt Kelson allowed Darcy quite a lot of licence and allowing him to talk to Aliset was graciously done, and an indication of his recognition of Darcy's honour.  Just as well he and Darcy will never meet on equal terms, though, or he might have reason to regret his last question and the remarks that followed it.  I seem to remember  Evie have  Sextus think, "Sarcasm does not become a Haldane",  it's  a pity that Duncan wasn't  there to tell him that impudence doesn't either.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Washburn and Feyd are starting to remind me of Alaric and Bishop Arilan in the early books. Egad!

At least Washburn is able to study the scroll with a clear head.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Your description of healing is really interesting Laurna.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Your description  of healing was wonderful. I hope Wash will  get to learn it but not feeling very optimistic at the moment. If this is how Feyd treats people he likes would hate to see  what he would do to someone he doesn't like. Will Darcy have to destroy Wash to protect others? A terrible thought! And when Feyd says it will be best for everyone  else if his plans work out, who is the exception? So many questions.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DesertRose

Good one, Laurna!

And as a calligrapher myself, I will say that it can be very easy to misinterpret older script styles and certain scripts have a lot of letters that look quite similar to each other.  My personal go-to script is Gothic Textura Quadrata, and when you get going in that script, words like "minimum" can look like the exact same pen stroke repeated over and over again.

Here is an example, from a 14th C. Bible (in Latin, and the text is from the Old Testament book of Numbers), just so you have an idea what I mean about the script.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackletter#/media/File:Calligraphy.malmesbury.bible.arp.jpg
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

HoundMistress

You were certainly right about eh calligraphy! Would hate to try to read that one! I hope Wash is getting something out of the scroll that will help him later. I think he is part of some revenge The Scholar is taking on Valerian. It's good that St. Camber is with the Morgans, but they are his descendents, so he should be. Awaiting more! Great writing, Laurna, on the recent pieces. Everyone is writing well!
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

DerynifanK

Laurna, your work in creating  the code in the second half of the scroll is truly amazing. You continue to astound with your creativity.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

She is brilliant. Excellent work.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

Truly amazing, Laurna!  A stroke of pure genius.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I did a tiny bit of research on ancient coding. I found this from Roman times

QuoteIn cryptography, a Caesar Cipher, also known as Caesar's cipher, the shift cipher, Caesar's code or Caesar shift, is one of the simplest and most widely known encryption techniques. It is a type of substitution cipher in which each letter in the plaintext is replaced by a letter some fixed number of positions down the alphabet.
wikipedia

Trouble is I figured we are beyond the times of ancient Rum. and that the Caesar Cipher would be known and easily detected especial by Feyd and his family of black death. So I considered several different Ciphers. I finally made up my own. There is no specific notations for decoding the scroll. The only clue is that each paragraph adds a new exchanged letter. Therefore you have to read each paragraph, decipher the exchanged letters you already knew, and then learn the next letter exchange. Skipping to the bottom would be useless.

So I do have the code and I do have the entire last two paragraphs of the scroll written and coded. I thought if I posted that in whole, I would drive everyone mad. Trouble is it is going to take time for Wash to do the deciphering. His "helping hands" only showed him how with one paragraph, not the full scroll.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on July 15, 2018, 11:45:05 AM

So I do have the code and I do have the entire last two paragraphs of the scroll written and coded. I thought if I posted that in whole, I would drive everyone mad. Trouble is it is going to take time for Wash to do the deciphering. His "helping hands" only showed him how with one paragraph, not the full scroll.

On the contrary, it might take less time for him to decipher the scroll now, because now that he's figured out that the misspellings in that third paragraph were not accidental, that would make him go back and reread those earlier paragraphs with this fresh knowledge, looking for any other possible letter substitutions.  Knowing that there is a code to break gives him a definite advantage he didn't have when he first tried to read the coded paragraphs, so I would think he (that is, you) could add an extra die for any subsequent attempts now that he knows the scroll's author was being deliberately cryptic, not just on heavy drugs.   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Oh  Big Yes, to seeing Darcy and Aliset do some training together.
And another big Yes to Seeing Duncan and Columcil get some private time to work out their differences.
Wonderful Additions. Thank you ladies.
And I love that Shadow Dancer caught Columcil's emotions. I think Shadow has a liking for our good priest.
May your horses have wings and fly!

HoundMistress

I really like these latest pieces of the story, too. Didn't Columcil heal Shadow when he had one of those spiked balls in his hoof? I'm waiting for Aliset to school Darcy in the use of some of his powers. I was afraid Aliset might be trying to ride out with Darcy again, which would REALLY not do her reputation any good, although they would certainly then be urged to marry.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

revanne

Quote from: judywward on July 16, 2018, 04:01:07 PM
I really like these latest pieces of the story, too. Didn't Columcil heal Shadow when he had one of those spiked balls in his hoof? I'm waiting for Aliset to school Darcy in the use of some of his powers. I was afraid Aliset might be trying to ride out with Darcy again, which would REALLY not do her reputation any good, although they would certainly then be urged to marry.

Yes Columcil healed Shadow and there is quite a bond between the two -I seem to remember I had Wash accusing Columcil of trying to steal his horse's affections- in jest of course.
(Psalm 46 v1)