• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 145
Total: 146
Laurna
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Rules Errata

Started by Bynw, May 19, 2018, 11:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Bynw on June 12, 2018, 04:21:07 PM
Quote from: Laurna on June 12, 2018, 04:10:09 PM
All I can say is, I am glad our characters are made of a bit more rubber than us mere humans are. Don't change it, but a 175 feet usually means 'died of cement poisoning'. Our characters have a chance of actually surviving that. If you can get at least one save point in and they weren't already down a hit point of two.  :o
Wash promises to not doing any attempts at flying. :-\  "Falling with style" Now, that might be more fun.  ;)

Are characters are not the man on the street type. They are a cut above the rest. I would say, using Tiny D6, that your average normal man on the street only has 3 HP, maybe 4 HP if they are more hardy. So that fall that does an automatic 3 will kill them.

Also, since all of our PCs are Deryni (whether or not they've actually been trained to use their powers), there's that tiny chance that they will manage to reflexively use their magic in such a way as to break their fall just that tiny bit that spells the difference between certain death and barely clinging to survival.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on June 12, 2018, 04:10:09 PM
Don't change it, but a 175 feet usually means 'died of cement poisoning'.

And here we have a truly fine specimen of the dry, gallows humo(u)r often found in those in medical fields of work.  ;)

(Love you, Laurna; I'm just teasing.  I hope that my intended silliness is apparent.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

So, let's do the longest survived jump, without a parachute and without injury.
1)Indiana Jones, jumping out of a plane at several thousand feet altitude, with a 500-1000 foot fall using only an inflatable raft to land, which he makes very smartly on a steep ice covered mountain side, missing all the rocks, not puncturing the raft and sliding  all the way down the mountain to end up floating down a river. Not only saving himself but also his two companions from injury. I am not going to even try to count the number of successful Save rolls and hero points used.  :P ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Having just visited some waterfalls within a mountain on holiday I have returned even more convinced that Kelson and Dhugal's survival in QfSC is nothing short of the miraculous. So there is good precident for Washburn to fly without wings.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

I am writing up some detailed rules for Portals. Once I have them written up. I will post them to this thread.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Bynw

How to Trace a Transfer Portal Jump

The character must have the Spell Trained Trait and the jump that is being traced must be less than 24 hours old at the time it is being investigated. This is just a standard 2d6 Test. There maybe additional issues to make the Test more difficult or less difficult imposed by the Game Master. This can only be attempted once by a single Deryni. Success learns the unique coordinates of the destination Portal.

Checking to see if a destination Portal is Trapped

The character must know the unique coordinates of the Portal in order to check it to see if there is a magical based trap imposed on it. This is accomplished by the Deryni reaching out from one Portal to the destination Portal and probing it to see if he can detect a trap.

A Test is called and if successful then the dice are totaled. This is a contest of skills. The user vs the trapper. The total here must be equal to or greater than the dice total that the trapper made when setting the trap in the first place. If the total indicates a successful detection, the user will know if the trap is lethal or not. But may not know the full extent of what the trap actually does.

If the roll is not successful or the total is not high enough. The user is unable to detect any traps. He may attempt to do so again after 24 hours time has passed.

Setting, disarming, removing a Trap from a Portal

At this point the character is required to have the Spell Trained Trait.

To set a trap on a Portal, one must be physically present in relationship to the Portal. A Test is made and if successful the dice are totaled. This is the strength of the trap on the Portal. The number that will be used by others to see if they can detect, disarm, or remove the trap.

If the Test fails, then the character must wait another 24 hours before he is able to again attempt to set a trap on the Portal.

Traps can do many different things. This is left to the player, the character and the Game Master to decide what takes place and what triggers the trap to be sprung.

To disarm a trap on a Portal, one does not need to be physically present. This can be done from the destination Portal as one is making the jump connection. Also, the character must know that the trap is actually there, although the Game Master can "go along" and let the player do as they will.

The user makes a Test and if successful he totals the dice. If the total is equal to or greater than the above strength of the trap, then it is disabled. Note that a disabled Portal will automatically re-enable itself again after 24 hours. This does not remove the trap, it only disables it.

If the Test succeeded but the dice total was too low. The trap is still enabled, but the character may be unaware of the failure and think that the trap has been disabled.

If the Test failed, then the character knows he failed at disabling the trap.

In either of these cases, the character may try again to successfully disarm the trap after 24 hours have passed.

In order to completely remove a trap from a Portal. The character does need to be in physical contact with it, just like when setting a trap. And the player must announce that he is indeed attempting to remove the trap from the Portal permanently.

The trap must first be disarmed before it can be removed. For the removal, another Test is made, if successful, then the dice are totaled once again. This total must be 3 points higher than the strength of the trap that was placed in order to remove it.

Like the previous rolls. If the Test is successful and the total is less than the required. The character might believe he has removed the trap. Also, like the previous actions, this can only be attempted by the character once every 24 hours.

The person that set the trap is able to disarm or remove it entirely, without the need of a Test.

Destroying a Transfer Portal

Destroying a Portal is not an easy task. It requires a lot of energy and the Ritual Magic Trait.

A standard 2d6 Test is made, even if being preformed by a Deryni Master Trait character. And this requires a specific number of successes to be successful at ripping the Portal from reality. However, if a character does have the Telekinesis Trait, they succeeded on a roll of 4, 5, or 6.

The number of successes required are based on the age and other factors of the Portal that is being destroyed. The following chart is a guideline on Portal age and the number of successes required.

Portal Age# of needed Successes
Hours to Days2
Days to Weeks3
Weeks to Months4
Months to Years5
Years to Decades6
Several Decades7
A Century8
More than a Century9

The Game Master can increase or decrease the number of needed successes to destroy a Portal based on another of different circumstances, including but not limited to the skill of the Portal creator and how frequently the Portal is used.

In order for the character to be able to get the required number of successes outside help is required or the character may trade in 1 Hit Point for each success. These 1 Hit Points must be declared prior to making the Test.

Creating a Transfer Portal

Creating a Portal generally requires both time and manpower. This also requires the Ritual Magic Trait in order to attempt to create a Portal.

The location of the Portal must have a base of natural earth or rock and it is usually octagonal in shape. The selected area is warded with Wards Major and then power is poured into the area. At this point a Test is made. Like the destruction of a Portal, the Telekinesis Trait allows successes on a 4, 5, or 6. Generally speaking at least 5 successes are necessary to create a Portal. The Game Master may raise or lower this number based on situational factors.

The extra successes are generally pulled from the energy reserves of others within the ritual framework. At the cost of 1 Hit Point per success. And can be spread out amount all the participants. The player making the Test decided, before the Test is rolled, who and how much he is drawing from the others.

DerynifanK

Bynw, you amaze me with your ability to create  and construct these parts of the game.
What you did with the Poreal and how they work was very impressive.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

How does this sound for a new trait for the list:

Second Sight - The Sixth Sense (Human Only)

Even though you are Human, you have a knack for things. You can sometimes tell if someone is lying to you. You can sense things that cannot normally be detected by the 5 senses. If someone attempts to influence your thoughts, actions, or memory with mind affecting powers, you can make a Standard Save Test and succeed on a 4, 5, or 6 to resist. Your abilities are not hindered by Merasha or improved by Blue Fyre.

DerynifanK

I know I'm  not a player and I'm  just learning but I like it. Would Seamus have theses abilities.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Quote from: Bynw on June 30, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
How does this sound for a new trait for the list:

Even though you are Human, you have a knack for things. You can sometimes tell if someone is lying to you. You can sense things that cannot normally be detected by the 5 senses. If someone attempts to influence your thoughts, actions, or memory with mind affecting powers, you can make a Standard Save Test and succeed on a 4, 5, or 6 to resist. Your abilities are not hindered by Merasha or improved by Blue Fyre.

That sounds good and yes Seamus would have them.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Even though you are Human, you have a knack for things magical. You can sometimes tell if someone is lying to you. You can sense things that cannot normally be detected by the 5 senses. If someone attempts to influence your thoughts, actions, or memory with mind affecting powers, you can make a Standard Save Test and succeed on a 4, 5, or 6 to resist. Your abilities are not hindered by Merasha or improved by Blue Fyre.

I have slightly modified the above Trait. For anything someone does with Second Sight is just a Standard 2d6 Test, and you need a 5 or 6 to succeed unless otherwise noted.

Bynw

the Trait Beastspeaker I think should be renamed. That way it doesn't get confused with the actual Tiny Dungeon Trait of the same name that I just tagged with (Deryni) because in many ways Rapport with Animals which is really what Deryni do is far more effective that the Tiny Dungeon basic Trait. I'm just looking for ideas on what to call it.

Laurna

There is Beast Whisperer or Animal Whisperer, or Whisperer of creatures great and small.  :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

JediMatt1000

What about Haldane powers?
"Be the change you wish to see."