• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,566
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 155
Total: 155
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 04:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Started by Elkhound, January 02, 2016, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Would a Deryni be able to really set a liar's pants on fire?  If so, under what circumstances might he really do it?

DesertRose

I would think that certainly one could, since Deryni can use psychic power to light a candle.  It doesn't seem a far step from lighting a wick to lighting the fabric of trousers.

I would also think, however, that only unscrupulous Deryni (Wencit, perhaps? Charissa?  Imre or more likely Ariella?) would do it.  Incineration (at least of one's garment) seems a rather harsh punishment for untruth.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

It would depend on how egregious and harmful the lie would be, wouldn't it?  And also if there were a good supply of water handy to put it out before the liar could be too badly singed.

DesertRose

I think it skates pretty close to torture, though, which scrupulous people, Deryni or no, are not going to inflict on other people, regardless of the provocation.

Again, that doesn't put it out of the realm of possibility for someone sufficiently villainous or ruthless, but I don't think our heroes in the Deryniverse would do it.  They psychically could but for reasons of temperament and conscience wouldn't.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Depending on the circumstances, it could be considered a practical joke, although a rather nasty one.  If there were a fountain or pond right there, and if you set the fire on the cuffs, rather than the seat, say.

DesertRose

I suppose so, if you ran across a Deryni with a particularly cruel sense of humor or a very immature one who didn't think through the consequences of his/her actions very well.

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on January 02, 2016, 09:39:32 PM
I suppose so, if you ran across a Deryni with a particularly cruel sense of humor or a very immature one who didn't think through the consequences of his/her actions very well.

Certainly not post-Ramos!