• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Real world locations

Started by revanne, August 15, 2014, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I was at Chepstow Castle yesterday - very dramatic in a thunderstorm - and couldn't help thinking of Coroth Castle. It's on the south-east corner of Wales just where it joins onto England across the river Wye; I'm no good at sending links but if you google Chepstow castle there are some great pictures.

It's not quite right as it's on an estuary rather than directly onto the sea but what does anyone else think?

There's an amazing 11th  century door which my friend took a picture of and I'll try to upload when she sends it to me.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Wow, Revanne! I want to go see it with you.
Here is a link http://www.castlewales.com/chepstow.html.
What a place to see in a thunderstorm. Awesome!
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

The criss-cross wood on the door is a couple of inches thick and is nailed onto normally laid planks. The door has been moved from the main entrance where it stood for the best part of 800 years and is now not used. The postern is about 4 feet tall to give you an idea of the proportions.

You'd definitely need Deryni powers to get through this.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

Wow, revanne. Thanks for sharing and refining my mental image of the Deryni world.

Sadly, America lacks such magnificent structures. Instead, we have this:

(Pitiful, but tasty!)
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

LOL!  Not entirely true.  This is mere blocks away from my office:

http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Quinlan_Castle

And this, while it's more like a palace than an early period castle, is close enough for a weekend trip:

http://www.biltmore.com/

But yeah, for the most part we're sadly lacking in picturesque castles over here.   :D

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

tenworld

There is the Hammond Castle in Gloucester MA a replica of an actual English castle. It was built by an American known for the organ but also for inventing the first TV remote.  He stocked it with suits of armor and other items but the best surprise was a room full of the hybrid sword/spear weapons wielded by the high elves at the start of Lord of the Rings.

Laurna

Thank you, Tenworld, I had never seen Hammond Castle before.  I looked up images on the web and found wonderful photos of the castle. Oh, to being the lord and lady of your own castle.  :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

To an extent I think you probably get a better idea of what castles would have been to live in by visiting a replica. Having spent my life where ruined castles scatter the landscape two a penny it's hard to realise that they were living vibrant communities. The friend I was visiting Chepstow with and I both commented on how different the castle would have really looked in the eleventh century with fires burning and people bustling about. Maybe we need to combine Chepstow with Hammond.

Btw if Evie ever does get to visit Britain with the littles I'm taking Joram into protective custody!
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

You'll need to wrest Joram away from KK then, since he'll be going to live with her on Dragoncon weekend along with Rhys, Evaine, and Camber. :)

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Hopefully the poor man will travel in something more than his shirt  ;D
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Oh, he's wearing braes now too.   ;D  And once I figure out where I've put my black faux leather, I'll make him chausses, shoes, and a jerkin.

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

And his dark blue cassock, of course!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I doubt I'll have time to make him the cassock before the con, given that I'm struggling to find time to cut out and sew his chausses and shoes (and will probably end up sending him off in Duncan's jerkin), so I'll leave that for KK to make for him.

--WARNING!!!--

tenworld

Quote from: revanne on August 17, 2014, 11:20:43 AM
To an extent I think you probably get a better idea of what castles would have been to live in by visiting a replica. Having spent my life where ruined castles scatter the landscape two a penny it's hard to realise that they were living vibrant communities. The friend I was visiting Chepstow with and I both commented on how different the castle would have really looked in the eleventh century with fires burning and people bustling about. Maybe we need to combine Chepstow with Hammond.
That is something that has always bothered me about period  movies.  they either are shot in actual old castles or movie sets designed to look like an old castle.  I envision tapestries hanging on all walls and stones that look fresh cut.