• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Create-a-Deryni!

Started by Evie, June 17, 2010, 09:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

OK, I remembered this website last night and have been having inordinate amounts of fun with it:

http://www.morphthing.com

Ever get stuck trying to cast the Deryni movie, or trying to visualize a story character you're creating, because you can't think of any celebrity who quite looks the part?  Maybe the closest thing you can come up with is something like "Well, I think he'd look something like Hugh Jackman, only the eyes would be blue, maybe something like Paul Walker's, except he'd need red hair..."?   Well, this is a fun website to play with and see just how well those sets of features would morph together!  Just as an example, here's a couple of morphs I made:

My attempt to recreate Catriona, the Lady of Llyr from ANAMCHARA (see the Deryni Fanfic section for a link to that story)

and ...

I morphed a young blond male face onto the "Catriona" picture to get an approximation of what she might look like in her shapeshifting illusion as "Kyle."  

Neither is exactly how I envision them--for one thing, the eye color is still wrong, as both are described as having clear light green eyes--but the one drawback is that the morphing is limited to the existing physical traits of the photos uploaded into it.  However, I think if you want to morph someone's features into a picture and that person isn't in their photo database, you can upload a photo of your own, I think.  It just has to be a shot directly from in front rather than from the side, and with hair as much out of the face as possible.  But the morphing is a good way to at least establish general facial structure and get an idea of what a character might look like, and sometimes you can get lucky with the coloring as well.

Now I'm off to see if I can figure out how to make my own Alaric, Richenda, Kelson, Dhugal, etc.  (And yes, I've already experimented with a Duncan! *grin*)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Shiral

Oh Man, you had to show me this, did you?   :) Why do I foresee hours of wasted writing time, ahead?

Been thinking of writing another fanfic after a hiatus of a few years.  And I have this mental image of Araxie, but haven't ever been able to create her adequately in my head or in paintings...

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on June 17, 2010, 12:55:58 PM
Oh Man, you had to show me this, did you?   :) Why do I foresee hours of wasted writing time, ahead?

Happy to be of service.  *smirk!*

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Would this work for Araxie?  The hair came out a little less golden than I'd hoped, but I seem to have managed gray eyes....

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

I tried this one for Alaric:-

Which is getting pretty close to my idea for the guy!  I just need to get the hair a little blonder ...

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on June 17, 2010, 01:26:48 PM
Would this work for Araxie?  The hair came out a little less golden than I'd hoped, but I seem to have managed gray eyes....

Not bad... not bad at all!  She comes pretty close, actually.

But I need to do some experimentation of my  own....

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

This is getting about 90% towards my idea of Richenda.  Just needs the slightest touch more red in her hair, and perhaps slightly deeper eyes - but at least these are a lovely blue.

Or perhaps this slight variation?

Evie

Maybe someone could add some red tint via Photoshop?  I added red hair to my morphs by putting Ann Margret into the mix, but she can't be the last layer or the hair ends up too red.  Maybe, if you can remember the other woman in the morph, you can try putting Ann Margret about one or two layers from the end and see how that turns out?  Though she's lovely as she is now, and I can easily imagine the added red, especially in the second picture.  You did a good job of getting the heart-shaped face as well. 

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Interesting - when you use Ann Margret, you can end up with something like this:-

But I think this ends up just a little older/harsher - or perhaps more Oksana style of 'sultry sex goddess'.  Richenda is 22 is HD, and still only 27 in KKB and so for her I prefer my previous one where I used Cameron Diaz, Milla Jovovich and Grace Kelly.   I could see Alaric losing his heart completely for her!   But Ann Margret may be a very good basis for Jehana ...

*must stop playing, must stop playing*

Evie

Yes, I like your first one best too. 

And I'm not getting any writing done, even though I had some ideas for the story earlier, because I got sidetracked designing a character for it....   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

An equally good Richenda? 

I am still, er, "playing" with Duncan (wretchedly difficult man!) and possibly Derry - who along with Dhugal, is the most eligible bachelor at present!

Evie

Hm.  I think I like your earliest set of Richenda pictures better, because they capture a vulnerability that this one lacks.  Though I can easily imagine this Richenda as tougher, more experienced, and quite a match for Morag as her guardian--then again, though, the first Richenda would be someone Morag would be more likely to underestimate at first, much to her cost if she tries anything underhanded and discovers that Morgan's Duchess is much tougher than she appears.  Which, btw, I'd love to see....   :D

And oh lordy, yes, Duncan is difficult, isn't he?  I've created a Duncan, though mine is more of a "This picture will do" rather than "This is definitely him for me."  I've made several attempts at Derry, but don't really have him down yet either, and as for Dhugal...well, there just aren't any redheads in that database to work with, though I might try loading in a picture of one of the Phelps brothers and try again later.  It's better than trying to graft Ann Margret's coloring onto some man's face and hoping the results don't turn out ludicrous!   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

All right ladies, I submit a couple of Alarics for your consideration. 

#1 is 

And #2 is

I don't think Richenda would would have problems being all warm and loving with either of them, though I think #2 is the better  ;)

And this younger one is rather take-home gorgeous, though not sure if it's Derry or a younger Duncan ...

Evie

I'd agree with your choice of Alaric #2.  (That sounds like something from a 1970s era game show.  "Richenda, do you pick Alaric #1, Alaric #2, or Alaric #3?  Or would you rather have the mystery gift behind the curtain instead?"  :D )

As for the other picture, the curly bits of hair put me more in mind of Derry, though he doesn't very closely match my mental picture of either man.  He comes a bit closer to my mental Derry than my mental Duncan, though, so I'll lean that way.  Besides which, I've not created a Derry yet....  (My Duncan's uploaded to my Anamchara website, but I can link to it here also if that would help.  And assuming the server there is back up again, as it was down earlier.)

--WARNING!!!--