• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Priesting of Arilan.

Started by derynifanatic64, May 19, 2007, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Hi, Maven, welcome to the forum!

Quote from: Maven on September 11, 2013, 03:16:03 PM
There is, possibly, a third way, depending on just how long merasha has been around.

What if it was originally developed, not as a mind-scrambling substance, but a mind-expanding one? That is, it was originally intended to help put the person taking it into closer touch with the Cosmic All - sort of a Deryni LSD. But the catch turned out to be that unless approached in *exactly* the right frame of mind, the side-effects would give any Deryni a very, very bad trip. So it fell out of use, and only the nasty side-effects were remembered (and abused).

By sheer accident(?) Arilan set himself into *exactly* the right frame of mind, probably the first person to do so in at least two hundred years, and got a *good* trip.

Interesting possibility, though I wonder if the original discoverer/creator of the substance wouldn't have had to happen upon the exactly right frame of mind to begin with also?  Otherwise I can't imagine the experimentation with the new drug would have continued after the first dose.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

derynifanatic64

I wish that Arilan would have had the chance to reveal to Loris before he was executed about being Deryni.  Loris' reaction would have been a sight to behold.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Aerlys

Quote from: Maven on September 11, 2013, 03:16:03 PM
What if it was originally developed, not as a mind-scrambling substance, but a mind-expanding one? That is, it was originally intended to help put the person taking it into closer touch with the Cosmic All - sort of a Deryni LSD...

Kinda adds new meaning to High Deryni  8)  Maybe we should take this to my "Deryni Drugs" thread.

(P.S. Hi Maven. Welcome aboard!)
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc