• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Akis Kitchen

Started by Elkhound, March 06, 2017, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Check out this channel on YouTube.  Delicious Greek recipies presented by a charming young man.

Evie

What a delightful accent! Now I'm imagining Count Matyas doing a cooking show. LOL!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

I'm thinking of trying his meat fricassee.  He does it with lamb, but I'm going to try it with chicken.

DesertRose

Yeah, lamb is a bit pricey in the US, not so much in Europe and Australia (or so I hear).  (And I'm not even sure why; it's not like we don't have space for grazing sheep here, but I guess we've dedicated it to grazing cows instead.)

I would think chicken might take less time than lamb, but it would probably also depend on the specific cut of lamb he uses in his recipe and whether you were cooking a whole chicken or cut-up pieces too.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on March 08, 2017, 05:27:07 PM
Yeah, lamb is a bit pricey in the US, not so much in Europe and Australia (or so I hear).  (And I'm not even sure why; it's not like we don't have space for grazing sheep here, but I guess we've dedicated it to grazing cows instead.)

Lots of Americans don't like lamb.  Less demand means fewer sheep raised.

QuoteI would think chicken might take less time than lamb, but it would probably also depend on the specific cut of lamb he uses in his recipe and whether you were cooking a whole chicken or cut-up pieces too.

Cut up.  In my case, although I love lamb, being prone to gout I must limit my intake of red meat.  I might do turkey instead--a boneless breast cut up.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on March 09, 2017, 10:59:04 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on March 08, 2017, 05:27:07 PM

Lots of Americans don't like lamb.  Less demand means fewer sheep raised.

I think lamb, properly seasoned, is quite tasty.  That said, most of the lamb I've enjoyed has been in Middle Eastern cuisine.  However, I remember having some roast lamb with mint jelly once that was the blandest, most tasteless thing I've ever put into my mouth.  It was a real disappointment, since I was expecting the same burst of flavor that my local Middle Eastern fast food places have in their gyros meat and lamb shwarma, but instead got a slice of cardboard meat with a bit of mint jelly blopped onto it.  Maybe that's why so many Americans don't like lamb, if that's the only experience they've ever had with it.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!