• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 337
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 01:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

From northern Kheldour

Started by revanne, May 12, 2014, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I am currently on holiday in our caravan with DH (and very spoilt dog who thinks caravan bunks are specially designed for her to sleep on) in the north west of Scotland and reckon that it would about equivalate with northern Kheldour in Gwyneddian terms.

Its interesting to see that there are lots of bilingual signs now Gaelic/English, more than I remember from the last time we came about 10 years ago and very definitely more than when I first came 43 years ago. Wish I could pretend that last figure wasn't true - sighs.

We did a wonderful coastal walk yesterday around the edge of a remote peninsula with some of the western isles appearing and disappearing as the weather changed and I could really see how the legend of a mysteriously disappeared land out in the western ocean could have arisen.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

That sounds really cool, revanne.

I've always wanted to visit the UK; I've never actually left the USA, but near as I can tell, the lion's share of my ancestry is out of the British Isles in one way or another.  I found out recently that a family name I'd always thought was Welsh is actually Cornish, and a few years ago, I found out I'm descended (via my father's paternal grandmother) from Ilbert de Lacy, who fought on the Norman side of the Battle of Hastings and won about half of Yorkshire in the process.  He built Pontefract Castle, and I'd love to go see the remains of it.  (Not much is left today, but there are some foundations and stuff from Ilbert's day still standing in ruins.)  That's just one of the forty zillion things I'd like to see if I ever get a chance to fly across the Pond.

More importantly, I have some friends I'd like to visit.  If I ever get over there, I'd like to meet AnnieUK for lunch or coffee or something, and you as well, if you're up for meeting for coffee with a strange bird from the USA.   :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Now there's one of my daydreams, DesertRose...the Deryni Forum Group Tour of Gwynedd and Meara...erm, the United Kingdom and Ireland....   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

I would love to visit the UK - Scotland and Wales especially (where the signs are also in two languages.)  Plus there are cliffs that have the same name as my maiden name.  So many castles, cathedrals, abbeys, and Revanne's church, too.  Shrewsbury (Brother Caedfal), St. Friedeswide's Priory (in ruins, I believe, but for Dame Frevisse).  The list goes on....

Of course, if Annie would like to have us all for tea...  ;D

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on May 12, 2014, 06:11:00 PM
Now there's one of my daydreams, DesertRose...the Deryni Forum Group Tour of Gwynedd and Meara...erm, the United Kingdom and Ireland....   ;D

Don't forget your copy of "Meara on Ten Gold Marks a Day." =o)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

AnnieUK

Quote from: Jerusha on May 12, 2014, 06:25:08 PMOf course, if Annie would like to have us all for tea...  ;D

Dang. I'm trying to cut down on the cannibalism...

You'd have two grey tabbies climbing all over you, but you'd be more than welcome!

Laurna

Oh the dream....   I'm in for a trip across the pond.
I was in England 20 years ago, but I ran out of time and money before I got to Scotland. Being a McNaughton means I should visit my ancestral lands at some time in my life. (History books say we lost our lands not twice but three times and there are more McNaughton's outside of Scotland than inside it.)

So when are we going?

QuoteOf course, if Annie would like to have us all for tea...  ;D

I love scones and clotted cream, but truly, I would much prefer them being served to me, than with me. This is going a bit too Torenthi for my taste. ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on May 13, 2014, 02:57:59 AM
Quote from: Jerusha on May 12, 2014, 06:25:08 PMOf course, if Annie would like to have us all for tea...  ;D

Just cut down?  Not stop?   :o

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on May 13, 2014, 03:24:57 AM

QuoteOf course, if Annie would like to have us all for tea...  ;D

I love scones and clotted cream, but truly, I would much prefer them being served to me, than with me. This is going a bit too Torenthi for my taste. ;D

I suspect even the Torenthi stopped short of actually eating their Rotisserie Convicts....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Glad we're not having a barbecue tonight LOL

Just to do a complete crossover did a walk today under the Glenfinnan viaduct which the hogwarts express goes over in Harry Potter. Then had to wait half an hour while it changed from sun to rain waiting so DH could get a picture of a steam train going over said viaduct. Not a broom in sight sadly. The train was twenty-five minutes behind schedule - possibly the wrong kind of frogs on the line. (In UK joke - train companies blame all sorts of things for the late running of their services including, I kid you not, leaves on the line in Autumn or the wrong kind of snow).                                                                                                                                                                                                       
You'd be welcome to tea, I've never yet made cucumber sandwiches but would be willing to give them a go and could provide strawberries with scones and cream. Or though I say it myself I do make a mean pan of scouse...
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quoteso DH could get a picture of a steam train going over said viaduct.

Oh! Neat.  Hope the picture came out. I would love to see it.  What a wonderful trip Revanne. Do please tell us more.

Quotethough I say it myself I do make a mean pan of scouse...

Hmm? I have to ask what is "scouse"? I'm intrigued.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Aerlys

Quote from: revanne on May 13, 2014, 12:48:12 PM

Or though I say it myself I do make a mean pan of scouse...

I prefer mine tamed and gentle.  :D

Hmmm, rotisserie convicts and vicious scouse. Sounds like an exciting trip. I'm game. I'll be sure to pack an extra set of chain mail, though.

So, who's our travel agency, Donner Party Tours or Addams Family Excursions?  ;D

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

You're game, Aerlys!  Cool!

*Evie packs the hunting rifle and camo....

Oh, wait....

* Evie hastily unpacks and hides the rifle under the bed again

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

And here I thought Deryni fans were so civilized!  ::)   :o Cannibalism was way down on my list of suspected quirks.  Clearly, only the tough and brave should tour Kheldour I mean Scotland. Vicious Scouse sounds like a creature straight out of Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky, I must say.  Might it hang out with the Frumious Bandersnatch? 

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Will post photo when I am back home. I will also post one of a fascinating modern statue put up in the nearest town to here, Fort William, with lots of different symbols representing the town, some historical. some natural but also representing the four elements, earth, air, fire and water.

The other day we walked down the fairies' (Sidhe in Gaelic) road.    The Sidhe are more like to Tolkein's elves than modern conceptions of fairies and have a habit of appearing and disappearing through hidden doorways in the mountainside.  Doesn't it say somewhere in KK that Deryni is thought by some to be a corruption of Kheldourni. Definitely feel that we are in Deryni territory here.

Scouse now - Confiteo that I hoped that would cause some confusion. Scouse is a stew made in Liverpool from whence comes the term Scouse for the Liverpool accent and Scouser for a native of the city. Its basically a version of Irish stew, being a mixture of meat, potatoes, vegetables and gravy cooked together the proportions depending on how much money is available to buy meat. Blind scouse is cooked without any meat at all. Traditionally made with lamb I have mainly come across it made with beef as that is now cheaper here than lamb. Where I minister in a quite poor area just across the Mersey from Liverpool scouse is still very popular and often the ability to make a good scouse will be commented on with pride in funeral eulogies.

You really wouldn't want to upset a scouser, family loyalty is still very strong - I have a feeling they might hang out in the Connait.
(Psalm 46 v1)