• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 11:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chemical Spill

Started by Elkhound, January 10, 2014, 10:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Yesterday afternoon as I was riding home, I noticed a strong smell of anise/licorice.  When I got home and checked the news on my computer, I found that there was a chemical spill in the Elk River, and that it got into the water plant--all customers of West Virginia American Water in the area are under a do-not-use order until further notice.  Fortunately, it is raining, and therefore the spill will disperse fairly quickly, but still. . . .Can't use water for cooking, washing, or bathing.

There is a mountain biking trail near the plant where the spill occurred, and I remember smelling licorice when riding there--but I'd always assumed that wild fennel grew in the area.  Now I know.

Evie

That's awful,  Elkhound!  I hope that gets cleared up soon.  Though at least it doesn't smell too bad.  There are far worse odors to be subjected to than licorice.  But I imagine drinking,  washing up,  and brushing teeth from bottled water would get to be a major pain after awhile, not to mention planning meals around not needing to wash dishes and pots afterward!   :(
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

Ack! What kind of chemical smells like anise, I wonder? I can sympathize, Elkhound. We are on a well, so every time there is a power outage, we have no water! At least you can still flush the toilet, even if it does smell like black licorice. Who knows, mayble iy'll clean the bowl for you, too.

When we were first married, DH was stationed in California. Turning on the news my first day there, I was greeted by two "only in California" events.

1) A portion of the highway was closed because a tanker of suntan lotion tipped over and spilled. (Nice coconut smell.)

2) A group was protesting the removal of an old concrete freeway support, because they worshiped it as their god.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

I hope the spill clears up soon, Elkhound.  Licorice may not be a bad smell in small doses, but a constant barrage will get old very quickly.

I nice plastic glass of Fianna may be in order.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Ack!  No showers, No washing dishes.
Wait, I could handle that part.  Paper plates and cups, hope you have many.

Elkhound,  you have yet to tell us how your new job is going.  I hope you like the people you are working with. Of course, if no one can shower, that might make for an interesting Friday morning.

I fore see lots of bottled water in your weekend.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

The job is going great.  As the Legislature is in session, a large part of what I do is to review bills that are being considered for tax implications and pass them on to our staff attorneys who analyze them for their potential impacts, suggest any technical changes, and write up a memo, which comes back to me for review.  I check the draft memo for any typos and grammatical errors, etc., and generally clean up the language, then pass it back to the attorney, who considers my suggestions and makes any necessary revisions.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  When the committee considering the bill asks for our input on it, we have something all ready.

Later I'm going to be doing nexus work.  As you know, with the growth of online sales, the question of state's collecting sales taxes is becoming more important.   The rule is that if the selling company has a 'business presence' in the state, then we can collect sales tax; but what constitutes 'business presence'?  It is rather complex.

DesertRose

That sounds both interesting and challenging, Elkhound.  I hope you enjoy the work.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Hope they get that mess cleaned up quickly, Elkhound.  If you can't even use water for washing up, that sounds pretty serious.

Glad the job is going well so far, though!
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

It never rains but it pours.

Last week my Aunt Jo called me.  She never calls if there isn't bad news.  It turns out my Aunt Nita died.  I didn't even know she was sick. 

She lived in Lexington, KY; my cousin David, who lives in Buckhannon, WV said he'd swing down and pick me up.  However, his daughter had to be rushed to the hospital with acute appendicitis, so he couldn't.   

With one thing and another, I had to get to Lexington.  So, I hopped on my motorscooter; which, to be honest, is a 400 cc megascooter, not a little putt-putt Vespa.  About 200 miles one way.  The longest trip I've made so far on it. 

Right after I got to the funeral home, the sky opened up.  I will ride in the rain.  I will ride in the dark.  Not both. 

My cousin Joi, who lived right across the street from her mother, gave me the keys to Aunt Nita's house and a casserole someone had brought her.  I ate the casserole, watched a little dumb TV (I was too tired for anything substantive), and petted Aunt Nita's cat--who went around the house yowling for His Special Person, then went to bed.  Of course, I took a long, hot shower first!

The next morning I left after I got up (stopped for breakfast on the way).  Retraced my steps, but must have missed a turn and found myself crossing the Ohio River into Ohio.  I pulled over and conjured a map in my mind, and realized that if I stayed on that road and follow the river, it would take me to Huntington, so I did so. 

When I got home, I found that the ban had been lifted for my district.  I just had to flush out the pipes. 

AnnieUK

What a few days. Glad you got home safely. And that you have water at last.

Laurna

Wow, what an adventure by motor scooter.  I'm glad the trip there and back home was successful. I'm sending you my blessings for your aunt. Someone will to take care of the Aunt Nita's cat, right? Also glad to hear the water problem is resolved.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

What a trip, Elkhound!  Glad you are back safe and have water again.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on January 15, 2014, 02:45:31 AM
Wow, what an adventure by motor scooter.  I'm glad the trip there and back home was successful. I'm sending you my blessings for your aunt. Someone will to take care of the Aunt Nita's cat, right? Also glad to hear the water problem is resolved.

Yes; my cousin & her husband live right across the street from Aunt Nita's, and they'll look after him; if they can't take him in--they have a cat already, a 100% indoor and Nita's Cat is indoor/outdoor, and there may be questions about how they get along--they'll find a place.  Their neighbor has an indoor/outdoor who hangs with him, so they might take him.  Or my other cousin, her brother, doesn't have a furry friend.

Aerlys

Whew! Sounds like the kind of things that happen around here. Glad you made it there and back again safely, and that things are heading back toward normal.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc