• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Prologue and Chapter One

Started by Evie, August 09, 2015, 10:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: revanne on August 11, 2015, 04:15:54 PM
Quote from: Evie on August 11, 2015, 12:15:59 PM
I think KK uses the handshake in her canonical books, so it seems safe to assume that the custom continued in Gwynedd. Deryni make up such a small percentage of the population, after all, that one would have to be pretty paranoid to refuse to shake hands with anyone on the off chance he might be a Deryni. Though I can see it being a cause for someone to reject a handshake from a known Deryni.

I am inclined to wonder, with Laurna, that as society evolved from KK's time frame and there was more need to develop a widespread form of greeting between equals whether a non tactile form of greeting might not have evolved. Although handshakes are still common in modern Britain polite nods of the head along with a verbal greeting are also common -  I'm wondering whether handshakes are more prevalent in the US?

They're very prevalent here. I tend to think of a nodded greeting as something one might use if not close enough to shake hands, but can't imagine just the polite nod and verbal greeting going over in a business situation, for instance, unless maybe one of the people was fighting off a cold and trying not to spread germs. Remember, though, that Deryni were never numerous in the general population to begin with, even when not under persecution, so would customs really change overall because some people are frightened of what an extremely tiny minority (maybe 1% or even fewer) might be able to do?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Italians love to shake hands more than Americans or British do, in my experience.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on August 11, 2015, 06:10:17 PM
Italians love to shake hands more than Americans or British do, in my experience.

In my experience, Italians would rather pinch your cheek and tell you how cute you are, but that you need to eat more. Then again, I was just a scrawny little middle-school aged kid when I lived in Italy....  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DoctorM