• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Codex Derynianus.

Started by derynifanatic64, May 19, 2007, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braniana

I would imagine there will be a third codex edition after the last Childe Morgan book is published (at least I hope there is).  There's probably a lot of information KK has developed about those families that would be spoilers if published while the trilogy is still in progress.

morgan

I'm still a little...perplex! I read that "The childe Morgan" is about of 2001-2002: this is the 1st book of a trilogy but the other 2 isn't out after so many years?

lenni

Morgan,

Quote from: morgan on March 08, 2008, 08:52:30 AM
I'm still a little...perplex! I read that "The childe Morgan" is about of 2001-2002: this is the 1st book of a trilogy but the other 2 isn't out after so many years?

The Childe Morgan trilogy consists of three books:
In the King's Service (US hardcover 11/2003 - according to Amazon.com)
Childe Morgan (US hardcover 12/2006 - according to Amazon.com)
a third one that Ms. Kurtz is working on (I hope!).

Kathleen

Raksha the Demon

Quote from: BishopCullen on March 07, 2008, 09:03:28 AM
Very nice job tracking that down.  try this one.  ansel macrorie's later family name became macathan.  trace from him to sief macathan, father of krispin.  i think we need an updated codex.  there is no mention of sief, or many others of the childe morgan.  oliver de nore is there, but his brother septimus is not.

Sief and Jessamy (and her brother Morian) are mentioned in Lewys ap Norfal's entry, but there is no mention of Krispin, or of Sief/Jessamy's daughters. 

I bought the Codex several weeks ago, it is indeed a treasure-trove!  But it badly needs updating.

Evie

KK and Rob Reginald had planned on a 3rd Edition of the Codex in an electronic, updatable format, but I don't know how Rob's recent death might affect those plans.  KK said something recently about needing to get in touch with his widow to see how far along those updates were and if she could get the files so that she could find someone else to help her work on the project.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Raksha the Demon

I hope that KK manages to get those files, an electronic and updatable format would be perfect for a new Codex.  What a shame that Rob Reginald passed away.

drakensis

I've certainly found the Codex fascinating to read.

There's a lot of history unexplored except for in the Codex.

And as usual with such things it's given me ideas...

Laurna

I love the Codex. It is amazing that KK has made notes on so much information about her world. A hundred times more than than what makes it into the story lines.  I freely admit that it was the Codex which inspired my research and than gave me several ideas. The Codex is sitting at my elbow, right now. Anytime I have a question about a particular person or time, I read about it there first. When playing in KK's world, I have tried to be accurate to the facts as they are stated there.

I was saddened to hear about Robert's passing. I really hope KK makes a new edition that has all her new books in it. I would buy that in a heart beat.
May your horses have wings and fly!

drakensis

And from my reading this morning - a page or two a day - I finally answered the question of how Duncan's descended from Camber. (Rhysel's daughter married the second Duke of Cassan, Duncan's great-great-great-great-grandfather). Well, probably - it's possible the Duke married more than once, that isn't stated. Assuming this was just one marriage for Duke Tammaron this would also yield another Camber descendant: a certain Sean Lord Derry is Duncan's fifth cousin once removed - and descended from the very same Duke of Cassan!

I'm sure this is well known now but it's interesting none-the-less.

I've not found a line of descent for Alaric Morgan so far but it's hardly ruled out. I'm mapping out the inter-twining family trees and there's plenty of scope for a MacAthan to have married a Duke of Corwyn or Earl of Lendour.

Raksha the Demon

I wondered if Sief and Jessamy's daughters are the last descendants of Cathan MacRorie.  And of course, I wonder what happened to the girls. 

Of course, if Morgan is descended from the MacAthan branch of Camber's heirs, then he's a descendant of Cathan too. 

I wonder why the Camberian Council has not kept track of the heirs of the man for whom they are named and whose legacy they supposedly venerate.  You'd think they'd have set down the bloodlines of Camber's heirs for centuries with great determination.  Makes me wonder whether there was some kind of post-Joram conflict between the MacAthans and Evaine's descendants; and if the Servants have some hidden records...

drakensis

It seems Morgan's descended on his father's side from the relevant Duke of Cassan, so there's no indication of MacAthan blood in his family history. Stumbled on that one.

Amusingly this means the much-maligned human parent the Camberian Council deplore so much for Duncan and Morgan in both cases has the MacRorie ancestry.

The fact that Rhysel Thuryn married a human and the descendants don't appear to be Deryni may be among the reasons the Camberian Council are unhappy about Deryni marrying humans: they know the Deryni are depleted in numbers since the purges of the 10th century and seeing some of their already few bloodlines thinned out and lost to them can't be something they're happy about.

(I do have some sympathy not just for the Council but for the Furstans and Festils: through the 9th century the Torenthi hegemony over much of the Eleven Kingdoms brought the Deryni were to the heights of their numbers and inflience. There were genuine efforts to co-exist with humans and restrain abuses. It isn't just ambition that sparked them to launch four major invasions from 905 to 1025.)

NavaWazr

This discussion triggered me to look for a copy, and Blessed Saint Someone's staff got in touch with eBay.... so my copy should be arriving by end of this week.  Once I have it I hope to find out who the patron saint of books would be...
I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

There really isn't a patron saint of books, per se, but there are the following:

*Patron saint of authors: St. Francis de Sales

*Patron saints of booksellers: St. John of God, St. Thomas Aquinas

*Patron Saint of Book trade: St. John of God

*Patron saints of Bookbinders: St. Celestine V (pope), St. John of God

*Patron saints of Printers: St. Augustine, St. Genesius, St. John of God

And while he is not specifically a patron of publishers, St. Maximilian Kolbe (a personal favorite) bravely continued running a publishing house from his monastery, despite Nazi suppression. He is the patron of journalists.

So, NavaWazr, any one of these probably helped you out, but my guess would be St. John of God.  :)
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on November 10, 2014, 01:04:45 PM
*Patron saint of authors: St. Francis de Sales

This one always brings a smile to my face, because even though I'm pretty sure that surname is pronounced differently from how we'd say it in English, I'm pretty sure most authors (published ones, at least) would be thrilled to have more Sales on their side....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--