• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 366
Total: 366
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My new kitty!

Started by DesertRose, December 18, 2015, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

After quite a few years having pets only vicariously (through family and friends), I now have a kitty!

Her name is Carys, which is a modern Welsh name that means "love."  She was a stray rescued by a family in a suburb of the city where I live, and they handed her off to me yesterday morning, at which point she had a rough day, because I took her directly to the vet to be spayed and inoculated (required by my apartment complex but I'd have done it anyway), then she came home yesterday evening.

There's a pic of her by her scratching pad in the Fur Kids gallery, but it's a little fuzzy because due to my medications, I have a fine motor tremor that makes it difficult for me to take a good photo, and she also is still a young kitty at age two and not inclined to hold too still sometimes.  :)

But yay!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Awww, she is very cute.  Congratulations to you and Carys.  I love the name!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Congratulations to both you and Carys, DR! I'm sure she's happy to have a safe new place to sleep, and a new human to train love. And now you'll get the chance for some hands on heavy-petting love.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DesertRose

Quote from: Shiral on December 20, 2015, 05:58:13 PM
Congratulations to both you and Carys, DR! I'm sure she's happy to have a safe new place to sleep, and a new human to train love. And now you'll get the chance for some hands on heavy-petting love.

Melissa

She's already sorted out that if she sits by her food bowl and meows, I'll feed her.

She's actually technically a little more than a pet.  She's my emotional support animal, and she takes her job seriously so far.  She's really very seldom more than a few feet from me if I'm home.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DesertRose

Carys is also proving to be incredibly well behaved, especially given that she was a stray before the foster family rescued her.  She doesn't really jump up anywhere that I don't want her to be (like the kitchen counters or the dining table), and I left her home alone essentially all day today while I was gone to my mom's house doing my laundry, and she didn't mess anything up.

Elkhound

Congratulations!  I miss Rupert and Zane so much, and look forward to getting a new one this spring.

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on December 22, 2015, 07:26:17 AM
Congratulations!  I miss Rupert and Zane so much, and look forward to getting a new one this spring.

I hope you find a kitty that's as good for your situation as Carys is proving to be for mine.  :)

She could seriously give lessons on How to Be A Good Kitty.