• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Should we make Deryni Archives available as an online download?

Started by DesertRose, August 31, 2015, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see Deryni Archives as a downloadable PDF format, issued regularly (on a schedule yet to be determined)?

Yes, and I'd be willing to pay a small fee (perhaps $1) for issues.
Yes, but only if it were free.
No, I'll read the fanfiction and view the fan art online.
No, I don't read the fanfiction or view the fan art.
Other, which I will post in comments.

DesertRose

Okay, this poll came about after a discussion Evie and I had, into which we brought KK and Bynw.  The Deryni Archives fan zine seems to have gone inactive, and KK is going to email Julianne about turning over the zine to someone else (who will probably be Evie and me).

We were thinking to make a place on the static part of RhemuthCastle.com to host the magazine issues from where people could download a copy, should they want to read on their e-reader or print up a copy of a story.  The current thought is to have each issue cost US$1, which money will go to server maintenance/hosting costs, and anything over the server costs to go to KK, but we wanted to get the community's opinions on this idea.  Stories will still be posted on RhemuthCastle.com in the Fanfic Archives section of the forum as well as being published in the downloadable zine, but several people have expressed an interest in a revived DA zine.

We are also discussing getting back issues of the already-published Deryni Archives zine and scanning them to host them as well, for those who don't have copies of the older issues.

The revived zine would contain fanfiction, fan art, fan music, and other sorts of creative endeavors in the Deryni universe made by fans, just as it has in the past.  It would just be in a downloadable PDF format rather than a physically printed and mailed publication.  KK is currently contemplating how much control she wants to have, but we will of course abide by her wishes in that regard.

So what do y'all think?  Chime in, please!  Comments are welcome in addition to your poll vote.  :D

(By the way, I have the poll results set up to only show results to people who have voted, so vote if you want to see.)

Thanks,
~DR
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Just a quick note to add that Julianne has been brought into the loop now (thank you, Katherine, for arranging that!), so if anyone has already submitted stories or other items to be considered for inclusion in Deryni Archives, rest assured these are not going to be lost in the aether somewhere if we end up transitioning to a downloadable PDF format. We're looking forward to coordinating our efforts to create a 'zine that will hopefully be more cost-effective and easier to produce and distribute, if this plan meets with the forum's approval. :) One thing DesertRose has already said but that I want to reiterate is that this is not meant to replace our current fanfic board, but it would supplement it. After all, PDFs (if that's what we end up going with; that discussion is still ongoing) have the advantage of being more easily downloaded and read offline, or even printed into hardcopy if desired.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Demercia

I think this is a good idea and would be happy to pay, but would need some help in working out how to do that from the UK
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

Demercia, this is still in the "how in heck do we do this?" planning stages, but I'm sure we'll make a way for non-USA fans to get the zine, should it go to a downloadable format.

It is looking like Julianne is interested in continuing her involvement with the Deryni Archives fan zine, but she seems to be keen to get some help compiling and formatting it, and she does appear to think that a digital format would be easier all around.

At this (very early) stage, from where I stand, it looks like Julianne and Evie will be the main compiling/editing people, formatting will fall to me (since I have the appropriate software and I actually enjoy formatting things like this), and hosting/site support will be Bynw's department.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

I think this is a good idea to put on the main web pages and not on the forum. I think each issue should have a free short teaser that can be read like a blog space with option for a full pdf issue payable by download. I would really love to see the back issues posted too.

Most import, in my mind, is KK's involvement. I know she has many plans in the works, but if the stuff in the DA has her stamp of approval, that would make the items there all the more interesting to read.  And I think many more people will jump in  to get a copy.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I would be very keen to see this - coming from the UK I had sort of given up on the idea that I might be able to get hold of any of the Archives at any reasonable cost. Am happy with any format etc that may be decided and am very grateful to all those involved for the idea.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

I would love to see the Archives revived, and if KK can keep a bit of involvement in it, it would be nice to know these are stories she has read and approved/enjoyed.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

I prefer to read off page than off screen.  If it were available as a PDF, I could download it to a thumb drive, take it to Kinko's, and have it printed and ringbound.

Evie

I am pretty sure it could be set up to allow payments from overseas, given that the current Forum donations are handled via Paypal, which handles overseas transactions, and my guess is that Paypal would be the most practical way to do this sort of payment as well. If keeping up with currency conversion rates is a worry, maybe a "$1 suggested donation" or "$1 minimum donation" charge might work, so if someone overseas didn't want to fuss with working out the exact amount, they could just donate something in that ballpark.  Or more, even. I doubt Bynw is going to be too upset with people making bigger donations to help keep the website running, after all.  :D I just don't think people should feel obligated to pay a ton of money for an electronic publication, since there's no dead tree tax to pile on top of the "Thanks for hosting this forum" cost.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Julianne appears to have a good collection of back issues, so the old issues being made available in downloadable format is a distinct possibility.

Thank you, everybody who's voted so far, for chiming in!  I really did want to see what the fan community thought of this idea.  :)

revanne

Quote from: Evie on September 01, 2015, 08:43:51 AM
I am pretty sure it could be set up to allow payments from overseas, given that the current Forum donations are handled via Paypal, which handles overseas transactions, and my guess is that Paypal would be the most practical way to do this sort of payment as well. If keeping up with currency conversion rates is a worry, maybe a "$1 suggested donation" or "$1 minimum donation" charge might work, so if someone overseas didn't want to fuss with working out the exact amount, they could just donate something in that ballpark.  Or more, even. I doubt Bynw is going to be too upset with people making bigger donations to help keep the website running, after all.  :D I just don't think people should feel obligated to pay a ton of money for an electronic publication, since there's no dead tree tax to pile on top of the "Thanks for hosting this forum" cost.

Given that £1 is a greater amount than $1 I simply assumed I would pay £1 and use the difference as a donation. Of course if I buy too many copies it may mean that if any of you ever manage to make it over here you might have to have jam or cream on your scones rather than jam and cream ;)

More seriously I've never had a problem using paypal to make donations - I pay in pounds, the site receives in dollars.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Chordata

Would love to see both the back issues along with a revival of the magazine in an e format.  More than happy to pay a $1 per issue, love getting "dinner and a show" for a contribution to the website ;)

Aerlys

I think it's a terrific idea, and $1 donation is more than reasonable. How often I would purchase it for myself, however, I'm not really sure. My reading stack is sooooo backlogged! Still, I love the idea of its revival and having it available for when I finally catch up.

I also think it's a great way to bring in more funding for server maintenance/hosting costs.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

NavaWazr

I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer

drakensis

I'd be in favour although probably it'd be best to leave it separate from the forums.

I suppose an alternative might be publishing through Kindle but I've no idea how that'd work.