• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,567
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 06:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fall From Grace - Part 5 - The Dragon and Epilogue

Started by Jerusha, December 06, 2012, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

I suspect Kelric and Brendan have shared a pint or three commiserating over the young vultures ladies hovering about the Court in Rhemuth and Gwynedd in general.  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Quote from: Jerusha on December 07, 2012, 03:34:27 PM
I suspect Kelric and Brendan have shared a pint or three commiserating over the young vultures ladies hovering about the Court in Rhemuth and Gwynedd in general.  ;D

I'm sure the King could tell them a tale or two about the dangers of being a famously eligible bachelor.  :D But one would think Brendan would be looking for a wife, or at least feeling pressure to do so from his vassals. AND from  his mother and step-father also. =o)
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

kirienne (RIP)

When I attend SCA events, most of the time I wear a  tunic that reached either just below my knees or mid-calf, and trews, because I'l usually serving as a marshal on the list field. At a recent feast, I was wearing a floor length Sideless and  undertunic, and kept tripping myself slightly --not being used to wearing "girly" clothes. One of the fighters who was in attendance teased me about not being able to walk without having my marshal staff--stripey stick, in my hands. it was quite funny actually.

Elkhound

I'm not SCA, but I've been in some events wearing midaeval dress where I had a tunic that only just covered my a$$ and tights.  At my age, though, I am more likely to wear something like this: http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/14h-15th-century-outerwear/houppelande-h1.html  My understanding is that a middle-aged man, no matter how good a shape he was in, who persisted in wearing a doublet and hose was considered a bit ridiculous--sort of the way we now regard a woman of a certain age who persists in wearing a tight, micromini dress with a plunging neckline and platform heels (add peroxide blond hair, lots of makeup, black stockings--you know the sort of getup I mean.)

Evie

That would be more true in later medieval to Tudor periods, though in earlier medieval periods, when even a "short" tunic wasn't all that short (more like knee to mid-calf length), an older man could wear a "short" tunic without looking ridiculous, or a younger one might choose a longer tunic or robe style in a sumptuous fabric to show off his wealth.  Also, older people sometimes just favored the fashions that were more popular in their youth (or at least a similar though slightly more modern style), while the younger folk might be more willing to wear the "trendy" stuff, so as hemlines grew higher, it would be natural for the older men to remain more conservatively dressed, keeping the less form-fitting fashions that were more flattering to their aging figures, and leave the newer fashions to younger clothes horses who can get away with the more revealing clothes.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

bronwynevaine

The dragon and his name reminded me of something nonDeryni but I couldn't figure out what...

Finally, out of the blue, I remembered:

Ged, the wizard from Madeline L'Engle's Earthsea trilogy, had power over the dragon of Pendor because he knew its name.
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Laurna

It appears I have not given the author my full appreciation of this story at it's ending. How did I miss this opportunity?  I have read the whole of this story several times. The internal and external events are so beautifully composed that I must bring it back into the light and say how much I love the whole of it. Thank you Jerusha.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

I have read this multiple times and loved it, finding something new each time. I cannot believe that I never commented on what a great story it is. And my conscience sometimes acts like a dragon too so can appreciate Alaric's encounters with his. You have a wondeful imagination Jerusha and I always love anything you write.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

Oh my goodness, thank you both for the kind words.  This was one of my first attempts at writing something for the forum readers.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it! 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany