• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:11:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 105
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Transfer Portals in and around Rhemuth

Started by Evie, June 30, 2010, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

OK, in the interests of trying to gather the info in one place to make my life easier when writing fanfic, I'm trying to remember where the Transfer Portals in and around Rhemuth are.  I don't have my books with me at the moment, but here's what I recall off the top of my head:

1. In the secret annex off the Royal Library.  (Note: I'm currently most interested in the time period immediately after QFSC, so I don't know if this one is even available yet, or if it was completely walled off after Charissa accessed it in DR and the secret garderobe entrance wasn't built until some time afterwards...but when, exactly?)

2.  In the Cathedral (iirc, in the sacristy?)

3.  In Duncan's study at the Basilica

Am I missing any that were listed in the books?  If not, where might other Transfer Portals be hidden around the city, assuming there are any others?

Also, I know from the Codex that there's a Transfer Portal in Tre-Arilan, which is somewhere not too far from Rhemuth.  Any idea how far?  And does anyone recall if there is a particular Transfer Portal in Rhemuth that Denis, Jamyl, or Seisyll Arilan tended to use?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

There's a list of all known (and speculative) portals in Deryni Magic.  Hang on a sec while I find it and type it up. :)

AnnieUK

oh you are KIDDING me!!!!   It's just lost the whole ****** lot!

AnnieUK

(Sighs)

I'll do it in chunks, so I don't lose everything if the net glitches out on me again :(

ECCLESIASTICAL PORTAL NETWORK
Cathedral of St George, Rhemuth -
   sacristy
   priest's study, St Hilary's Basilica-within-the-Walls
Cathedral of All Saints, Valoret
   sacristy
   oratory, Archbishop's apartments
Cathedral of St Senan, Dhassa
   sacristy (presumed)
   North transept, private chapel of Bishop's residence
Grecotha Cathedral
   sacristy (presumed)
   several other portals in Bishop's residence
   tower top at Bishop's residence (presumed closed with death of Camber)
   in ruins beneath Bishop's palace
Nyford Cathedral
   sacristy (presumed)
Cashien Cathedral
   sacristy (presumed)
Cathedral of St Uriel and All Angels, Ratharkin
   sacristy (presumed)

Plus Gabrilite and Michaeline portals, including St Neots, and a couple of Deryni schools at Nyford and Llenteith.  Most of these are presumed rather than known, as being Deryni/religious institutions so likely to have a portal.

AnnieUK

PRIVATE PORTALS

Valoret - beneath King's Tower, disguised as a garderobe

Caerrorie - in corner of Camber's study and another off underground passage leading away from castle

Cor Culdi - presumed, as also belonging to Camber

Sheele - in Rhys's study, later closed to all but those of Thuryn or MacRorie blood

Trevalga

Rhemuth - chamber adjacent to Brion's library.  It says "by the time of Kelson's knighting, the room had been made an annex of the library" but I don't think that helps you much, does it?

Also, members of the Camberian Council have access to private portals in their residences or other personal retreats.  Specifically mentioned are those of Thorne Hagen, Denis Arilan, and the Arilan family portal in the ritual chamber at Tre-Arilan.

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 30, 2010, 02:24:33 PM
PRIVATE PORTALS

Rhemuth - chamber adjacent to Brion's library.  It says "by the time of Kelson's knighting, the room had been made an annex of the library" but I don't think that helps you much, does it?

*Squee!!!*  Why actually, yes, yes it does!  If it had been made an annex by the time of Kelson's knighting, which happened before he went on his Saint Camber relics quest, then that means it's there at the time of my stories, which are currently happening that following winter.  Though it's still interesting to me that the Codex says Kelson doesn't tell Dhugal about it until KKB, which means it's been there at least 3 years, possibly more, before Kelson bothers to tell his blood brother about it.  (Though presumably the Camberian Council already knows and has been accessing it this whole time?)  Or maybe Kelson had it built, and then took his precious time stocking it before opening it up to other Deryni to use? 

OK, I guess that means I need to listen to the early chapter(s) of KKB again, just to see if maybe Dhugal already knew about the annex previous to that book's beginning, or if he really was just introduced to it for the first time in 1128, years after it was built.

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

Glad to be of assistance!  Deryni Magic does have some useful little snippets in it.

Alkari

Yet there seems to be no mention of one in Corwyn.  I have been skimming and re-reading ITKS and CM, and there are certainly some interesting aspects.  Old Vivienne was extremely concerned about Kenneth Morgan marrying Alyce, because she sees this as 'diluting' one of the only full Deryni duchies.    There are mentions of Stevana de Corwyn of course, and also Grania (much better name for the next Morgan daughter!) and of course Duke Stiofan was good friends with Lewys Ap Norfal.  (Look up the Codex entry on the Green Tower too).   So why wouldn't there be a portal in Coroth with that history?  *sigh*   Another question for KK in Chat? :)

Evie

Maybe there once was one, but old Lewys' experiment done blowed it up?   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

LOL - but I got the impression old Lewys blew up the middle of the garden where he placed the big shiral crystal, not somewhere inside.  The Duke Stiofan shut up the other towers - hmm, wonder if Alaric has replaced all the glass and done them up? Maybe he should be exploring those instead of the main castle ... 

AnnieUK

Re Coroth, Deryni Magic says :

"Locations that specifically do not have portals include Trurill (because Camber's sister did not marry a Deryni) and Coroth, at least by the summer of 1121.  (There may be a portal or two at Coroth, for Deryni dukes have held the duchy for many years, but Morgan does not know of them and to date has not had time to assemble the necessary personnel to establish one of his own.)

Having a portal in Coroth would make Morgan's life just too easy though, don't you think?  It would take away the dramatic impact of him being however many days away in times of crisis.  "Send for General Morgan" "ah, hello, Morgan".  Nah, not the same.

Evie

Hm, yes, in one of those other towers would be my best guess for an undiscovered Transfer Portal, if Coroth has one that is still operable.  I imagine the middle of the garden would've been a bit too blatant a place to put one, even if the former Dukes of Coroth had been much more brazen about their Deryni heritage than Alaric Morgan.  Though if that were the case, the location could've been improved upon by planting bright flowers all around it in a pattern reading "Deryni Transfer Portal HERE!!! ==> "     ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

What if there was once a portal in Coroth, but it was locked the way Camber locked that one portal he had? And then the ways to find a locked portal were lost or something?  And wasn't there a portal in the basement of the castle in Rhemuth, in a garderobe or a wine cellar or something, that Joram's deryni-in-hiding use to contact Javan?

Alkari

Hmmmm - that could be quite possible, you know.   You'll have to ask KK in Chat!  

But if this was the case with the Coroth one, and with Portals fading over time, it would explain perhaps why Alaric hasn't found it.  HE is certainly of the right blood line to access such a portal, but the portal itself may have faded.  And then even if  Richenda with her powers and knowledge helped him search, it would only be Alaric who could find a portal linked to his own family.

Evie

Quote from: Gyrfalcon64207 on July 01, 2010, 05:11:28 PMAnd wasn't there a portal in the basement of the castle in Rhemuth, in a garderobe or a wine cellar or something, that Joram's deryni-in-hiding use to contact Javan?
*perks up*  My memory of the Camber-era books is woefully lacking, but this sounds promising. Can anyone remember more details about this?

--WARNING!!!--