• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

War in a modern Age, with Deryni.

Started by MerchantDeryni, September 19, 2018, 09:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MerchantDeryni

I've been thinking of how the history of the human/Deryni lands would be different from our own history.

The connection of the 11 Kingdoms to the rest of the continent means that trench warfare, tanks, and railway lines would be possible to reach Gwynned in WW1.
Blitzkrieg and Panzers would be possible in WW2. No Dunkirk and a Channel to protect the land.

Then I started thinking about modern warfare and Deryni. Assuming a population in the thousands for Deryni there would be enough Deryni to create an espionage corps for the governments.
Think what that would mean. No Secrets. Humans can be co-opted and spill their secrets with a touch.

Military leaders would either be Deryni or protected by Deryni at all times if possible. Otherwise the secrets will get out.

Throw in my favourite Deryni toy of Transfer Portals and you get Ian Fleming the secret agent teleporting into Germany into a safe house in Berlin. False papers from a controlled human in the bureaucracy allows easier travel.  Touching the proper person gives the names of the people the Allied side need to find, question, steal, kill. etc. Also locations of bases and secret weapons being worked on.

Deryni Magic pg 44, quoting 103 of Quest for Saint Camber: "even that brief contact, long enough to trace a cross on a man's brow- would have been long enough to take over any mind that approached the altar rail."

So what if a corps of Deryni is busy checking out the minds, the intentions of the other side. And they are doing the same. The leaders get reports saying that each side knows all the tricks the other side is planning. It makes starting a war a little tricky.

The Mind Control and influencing of emotions is another area. "Of COURSE you want to sign the trade deal!" This may be too overtan example, but influencing a person to be disposed to be fair and see reason is an interesting prevention of war.

Just some random thoughts. Anyone else had ideas along these lines?

Evie

Don't forget that each side's Deryni would be taking precautionary measures in trying to shield the minds of key humans whose knowledge would require special protection. There might also be more magical research devoted to creating amulets and such to endow those humans in key positions with power that, if not quite the equivalent of Deryni magic, would at least level the field a little. And what about the development of jerraman crystals as charm magic and/or weaponry?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!