• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I'm desperately hoping that Sir Washburn doesn't rush back to see what the danger is this time or Columcil is a goner.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Yes and double yes to all the posts above. (except the mudslide, Horrible, horrible real world thing that is.)

Wash had intended to get sleep at the gate house, but then some stupid bell made a bad 'clang'. (sorry Jerusha, I don't know if you meant that to start all this trouble or not. but it is the catalyst if you ask me)  ;) Then he intended to get some sleep in the convent once he learned Aliset was ok, but then he ran into 4 Mearan thugs.(Ok, they are my fault, but someone earlier on said we were being herded toward trouble ahead, so I figured at least one of the enemy's men was trained to hear Grand Duke Valerian's  Rapport and he conscripted the few locals of Mearan loyalists that it was time to act.) Then Wash meant to hide from the thugs and sleep at the Gate. But No, he reasoned the thugs were dangerous to more than just him. (and someone descided to go to sleep in the most dangerous location in town. the gate house) Laurna shakes her head. Now, Wash has to contend with said thugs before all hell breaks loose. He better not be late or get lost.  He better make this work! He better be able to get some sleep when this is over. (Laurna looks at her other three partners- one at a time.) :P Fortunately I got some sleep, even if he didn't. ;D Unfortunately I have to take dad shopping this morning, so give me a little time. Please! (Gads!  LOL!)
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Quote from: revanne on January 12, 2018, 11:55:56 AM
I'm desperately hoping that Sir Washburn doesn't rush back to see what the danger is this time or Columcil is a goner.

I worried about that after I posted it, but by then the die was cast.   ;D

And Laurna, I also figure by this time they could use a good meal.  And a large jug of ale.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

The cavalry have arrived and even though the battle rages I can now go to bed recently confident I will have a character to write in the morning. Hope you got to work ok, Laurna.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on January 12, 2018, 04:43:30 PM
The cavalry have arrived and even though the battle rages I can now go to bed recently confident I will have a character to write in the morning. Hope you got to work ok, Laurna.

I am still recovering from my "simi free-form berserker mode" that occurred to me as I tried to beat the clock to get  a post in before work. I swear my heart was racing as badly as Wash's was. I did make it to work but only by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin. Wash and I are both ready to crash, so if anyone wants to finish off the bad guys part of  whats left of this battle scene, be my guest.

Jerusha , your invitation for a jug of ale enticing, What time can I portal over?  :D

Bynw

OK I have made some changes to the line up of Traits. This is your 1 time opportunity to make any changes to them that you wish as long as it doesn't go against what we know your character is capable of doing already.

The Traits of Scribe and Spell Reader have been eliminated as they do not fit the general Deryni way of doing magic.

The Artificer Trait has been reworded.

The Power Trait has been reworded and dropped a Disadvantage roll for all character without the new Spell Trained Trait.

The Spell Touched Trait has been replaced by the new Spell Trained Trait.

The Spell Slinger Trait has been replaced by the new Magic Ritual Trait.

The Spell Master Trait has been reworded.

All of the descriptions are updated on the Character Creation thread.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Since Spell Reader has been eliminated rather than just renamed, does that mean I can replace it with something else entirely so Aliset retains the same number of basic traits?  If so, I think Ritual Magic would be the most consistent substitution for her character, given what she's done in the story thus far (figuring out how to get Valerian's amulet to give them information about its source). I guess that would make her family grimoire just a written collection of how to work a variety of magic rituals, which I can still imagine her wanting to protect from prying eyes by making it look like a cookbook, but that would just be regular Deryni illusion magic in that case and wouldn't require a separate trait in order to read it. (Aside from the regular ability to spot and see past the illusion given a successful test roll, that is.) That could work.

What would things like warding (without Wards Major) fall under? Is it a basic Power ability or a ritual that requires some level of training? I ask because in the story I've had Aliset drawing upon her Deryni training (plus some basic acquaintance with Border magic lore and adapting it to the type of magic use she is more familiar with) to make ward circles, and Columcil draws from the similar-yet-different Border traditions of his upbringing to create his.

I like the rewritten traits and think they sound clearer and easier to interpret according to what we've seen Deryni able to do in the books.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Bynw,
The telekinesis trait has been shortened up considerable. And the sharpshooter trait is not a Deryni trait. So what would you call the trait that Alaric uses to always hit his target with a ranged weapon and to be able to deflect other peoples projectiles from a distant. I don't have room to add the two traits separately, yet in my mind they should be one and the same.  What should I do?

Second question: If and when Washburn finds time, can he sit down and take some training with Archbishop Duncan or some other master to get Spell Training completed.  He is Richenda's son after all. He should have gotten most of the training. but may have not completed it, finding warrior training more important. Since Alaric was not fully trained until after he married Richenda, Wash did not think it that important until he just discovered his Power trait has now been dummied down at only a disadvantage. So how much time does he have to spend with the masters to gain that additional trait, In game time that is.  LOL

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 13, 2018, 12:40:43 PM
Bynw,
The telekinesis trait has been shortened up considerable. And the sharpshooter trait is not a Deryni trait. So what would you call the trait that Alaric uses to always hit his target with a ranged weapon and to be able to deflect other peoples projectiles from a distant. I don't have room to add the two traits separately, yet in my mind they should be one and the same.  What should I do?

Dhugal (or was it Kelson? ) also used this to beat Conall at archery, IIRC, and Kelson used it to make sure his aim was true when he executed Sicard with an arrow through the eye, so that ability definitely seems like it should be in the Deryni trait arsenal somewhere. (Telekinesis seems most logical to me also, since it involves Deryni magical ability, not simply the ability to fire a ranged weapon with uncanny accuracy.  And I think the shortened version of the trait description would still apply to this use, since an arrow is a small object. It's not like Wash is deflecting large boulders shot from a catapult!  I assume "small option" in the description was meant to say "small object. ")

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Ok my next question is about Sharpshooter and Marksman. Marksman actually gives a success at a roll of 3,4,5, or 6. That is strong. Perhaps that should be considered the Deryni trait that I am looking for.

Silly question. Does the Deryni world even have zombies?  I found Undead Repellant:

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on January 13, 2018, 12:28:03 PM
Since Spell Reader has been eliminated rather than just renamed, does that mean I can replace it with something else entirely so Aliset retains the same number of basic traits?  If so, I think Ritual Magic would be the most consistent substitution for her character, given what she's done in the story thus far (figuring out how to get Valerian's amulet to give them information about its source). I guess that would make her family grimoire just a written collection of how to work a variety of magic rituals, which I can still imagine her wanting to protect from prying eyes by making it look like a cookbook, but that would just be regular Deryni illusion magic in that case and wouldn't require a separate trait in order to read it. (Aside from the regular ability to spot and see past the illusion given a successful test roll, that is.) That could work.

What would things like warding (without Wards Major) fall under? Is it a basic Power ability or a ritual that requires some level of training? I ask because in the story I've had Aliset drawing upon her Deryni training (plus some basic acquaintance with Border magic lore and adapting it to the type of magic use she is more familiar with) to make ward circles, and Columcil draws from the similar-yet-different Border traditions of his upbringing to create his.

I like the rewritten traits and think they sound clearer and easier to interpret according to what we've seen Deryni able to do in the books.

All forms of Warding would fall under Spell Trained. Unless one starts calling the Quater Guardian Angels then that moves it into Ritual Magic.

Your spell books can still be written in code making them more difficult to decipher. It doesn't take magic to read it Just takes a sharp mind that can figure out the cipher used.

And yes that does mean you get to remove the old Traits that are no longer active and replace them with something else more appropriate.

Evie

Second question: If and when Washburn finds time, can he sit down and take some training with Archbishop Duncan or some other master to get Spell Training completed.  He is Richenda's son after all. He should have gotten most of the training. but may have not completed it, finding warrior training more important. Since Alaric was not fully trained until after he married Richenda, Wash did not think it that important until he just discovered his Power trait has now been dummied down at only a disadvantage. So how much time does he have to spend with the masters to gain that additional trait, In game time that is.  LOL

This leads me to something else that I wondered about? Can we train each other, at least in the rudiments of what we already know?  For instance, since Aliset is Spell-Trained, can she teach Columcil or Darcy some pointers so that they can eventually learn to use their powers that they already have and/or raise their skills in those powers?  I am assuming if they attempt to use their power to do a specific thing and they succeed in their 1d6 trait and can therefore consider this a learned trait in future and start using 2d6 for it? (Assumption made since that's how new skills were learned in other games I've played. ) Or would they have to succeed several times before it's considered an added skill?  Surely they wouldn't have to go to a Deryni Master for training on a basic level, or Vera would have had to have been more powerful than we've seen depicted for Duncan to be trained in the basics. (Alaric could potentially have received what training he got from Sir Se, but Duncan would have had less opportunity to learn from a master level Deryni, and Dhugal even less so. )  Can you tell I'm itching to get Aliset into Darcy's head and discover he's got powers? LOL! I imagine any Deryni with even rudimentary training would be able to pass on what they know, although I can see requiring training from a Spell Master for more advanced skills being logical since what the average Deryni can't do, they certainly can't teach.

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Bynw,

I would always say that the Deryni that move arrows to hit their targets or miss a target in some cases are using Telekinesis. If a mere Human were doing it, I would call it damn lucky or a sharpshooter.

Yes one can add more traits. Given Wash's in game previous use of his powers. He will currently succeed on a 4-6 on a Disadvantage roll. I will add a new post for character advancement sometime this weekend when I have the time to do it.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 13, 2018, 01:06:26 PM

Silly question. Does the Deryni world even have zombies?  I found Undead Repellant:

LOL! Probably not in the conventional sense, though if Valerian's training in the dark arts extends to necromancy, we might still need to be able to ward off undead attackers. Quick, what did we do with Austin's body?!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Ok my next question is about Sharpshooter and Marksman. Marksman actually gives a success at a roll of 3,4,5, or 6. That is strong. Perhaps that should be considered the Deryni trait that I am looking for.

Without looking at the rules I assume that is a Standard roll with 2d6. And that actually is even better than having an Advantage (3d6 succeed on 5-6) That's up to you on which way you would want to go.

LOL yes I left that one in the list still. There are certainly creatures that can get called up. Maybe there are zombies ....