• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:24:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

genetics, middle earth style

Started by tenworld, December 31, 2013, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

From the age of 14, I was in love with Strider; he could do no wrong. He could ride, he could fight, he could heal, he could command an army of ghosts, he could survive against all odds. (Except for the ghost part, does this sound like my other favorite man, hmm, Alaric) When Tolken changed Strider's name to Aragorn half way through the books, I could not make the change. For years he was Strider too me. I don't think I saw the royalty in him or made the mental change to the name Aragorn until the movies. I think Vigo did a wonderful job of maturing my Strider into King Aragron. Now when I reread the book I see more of the half elf king in our leading man. I have never before tied the Deryni abilities in with the Elvin of LOTR, but perhaps there is something fun in this to make comparisons with.

May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on May 02, 2014, 12:06:32 PM
From the age of 14, I was in love with Strider; he could do no wrong. He could ride, he could fight, he could heal, he could command an army of ghosts, he could survive against all odds. (Except for the ghost part, does this sound like my other favorite man, hmm, Alaric) When Tolken changed Strider's name to Aragorn half way through the books, I could not make the change. For years he was Strider too me. I don't think I saw the royalty in him or made the mental change to the name Aragorn until the movies. I think Vigo did a wonderful job of maturing my Strider into King Aragron. Now when I reread the book I see more of the half elf king in our leading man. I have never before tied the Deryni abilities in with the Elvin of LOTR, but perhaps there is something fun in this to make comparisons with.

I know what you mean.  There is "Strider the Ranger of Eriador".  Then there is "His Highness, Aragorn, Prince Arnor & Arthedain."  Then there is "His Majesty, Elessar Telcontar, King of the Reunited Numeorean Kingdom in Middle Earth."  But, remember "Telcontar" is simply Elvish for "Strider."

Raksha the Demon

Quote from: revanne on May 02, 2014, 04:39:17 AM
And St Camber as Obi Wan...
with Wencit as the Emperor? He's certainly evil enough as poor Derry can attest.

I still fancy the link with LOTR but this may have more to do with Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn (sigh).
I imagine though that a fair bit of what we would understand as magic would come into Aragorn's line with his marriage to Arwen.

I wouldn't insult Wencit by imagining him as the Emperor.  The Emperor was, in my opinion, a crashing bore, and Wencit and the other Torenthi/Furstans are anything but boring.  But yes, St. Camber would make a great Obi-Wan.