• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 162
Total: 162
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

A Gryphon by the Tail Chapter 25

Started by Alkari, October 25, 2010, 06:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 26, 2010, 03:27:38 PM
Well, the 'excuse' would only work once.   And somehow, I think it is more a 20th - 21st century attitude than a medieval Gwynedd one.  

You may be right about that; it does assume that someone has at least a rudimentary understanding of psychology; like accounting for someone's eccentricities by explaining that s/he 'saw something nasty in the woodshed.'

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 26, 2010, 03:27:38 PMAnyway, the other court women would very quickly see through those 'more interested in men' type excuses by the women who were overlooked.  "My dear, what you mean is - he didn't want YOU!   Shows the man has taste, actually!"   :D   In the 'marriage market' of a medieval court like Gwynedd, that sort of sour grapes rumour wouldn't get past the first whisper, because it would rebound totally on the woman who made it.  

That would be the distaff equivalent of my 'good opthalmologist' crack?

Alkari

Quoteit does assume that someone has at least a rudimentary understanding of psychology;

Yes, but what we are talking about is the psychology necessary for functioning properly in a medieval society like Gwynedd's, not today's.  In KK's world, arranged marriages for noble houses are the norm, as we see with Kelson, and the various ones in KKB, where Rory is considered 'lucky' to be able to marry someone he genuinely likes.   The 'marriage market' of royal and ducal courts in that world is a very different society with different expectations.   Yes, women will still be human and be ambitious, jealous, offended, etc, but they are operating in that society, not ours: you need to relate the psychology required to the society in which people are living.  

ETA:  In this case, Richenda has quietly and cleverly implied that her betrothal was 'arranged' by Kelson and the Council.  And if you want 'psychology', she is perfectly aware that few will appreciate the very subtle distinction between 'the King arranged' and 'the king approved'.  So while some of the women may be jealous in the extreme, they will also understand that the marriage makes perfect sense politically - marry the traitor's widow off the totally loyal Duke of Corwyn, who will 'keep her in line' and see that her son is raised properly.   Morgan has so far managed to avoid marriage, but now the King and Council have 'persuaded' him to marry for the good of Gwynedd and his own duchy (which needs an heir).   Only the people who are close to them will know that it is a true love match, not an arranged one.  Against that background, any sort of sour grapes from women such as Lyndall will be seen for what they are. 

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 26, 2010, 08:41:33 PM
Quoteit does assume that someone has at least a rudimentary understanding of psychology;

Yes, but what we are talking about is the psychology necessary for functioning properly in a medieval society like Gwynedd's, not today's.   

When I said 'psychology', I meant the idea that extreme behavior on one direction might masque socially unacceptable inclinations on the other side (someone who has same-sex inclinations being overly-aggressive in pursuit of the opposite sex; someone expressing excessive repugnance towards someone whom s/he secretly likes; etc.) or that early childhood traumas may result in warped adult personalities (an eccentric's behavior explained by his/her having as a child 'seen something nasty in the woodshed'.)  Even people who haven't formally studied psychology today knows at least in general terms what one means by a 'reaction formation' or 'compensation' or 'displaced aggression' or forming a 'complex' or a 'fixation' on something; people then didn't think in those terms.

kirienne (RIP)

I'm lovin this story more and more with each new chapter  ;D

Elkhound

Alkari

Thank you both.  :)

We are now "almost" at the end - less than a week before she heads back to Marley, and Alaric then heads back to Corwyn for a lot of administrative 'catching up'.

Elkhound

You *are* going to finish this--and "Tiger"--aren't you?

Alkari

Yes, I am!  :)   But I've had a few other things to do (there's that nasty thing called real life W.O.R.K.), and alas, I do not write at Evie's speed.  Some chapters just take longer than others!