• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

A sad day

Started by revanne, April 11, 2018, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Today we had to take our two gorgeous ginger kitties, Simba and Shere Khan to cross the rainbow bridge. Simba had multiple health issues which were increasingly hard to deal with, especially given the demands of my job and my DH's worsening confusion and memory loss. Shere Khan would maybe have managed a few months more, but they were 15 years old and had never been separated. They used to sleep curled up in each other's paws  so we thought it fairer to let them go together. The vet was lovely and let us hold them as they slipped peacefully away but a very sad day. Luckily the vet had lots of tissues.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Oh! Oh! No!.  So, so sorry Revanne.
It is hard to lose one go, but both...? I understand this is the best for your kitties, but for you.... this is a sad day indeed.
Take care of you and dear DH. Only think of the fun antics that  Simba and Shere Khan did in their prime. With names like that, I am sure they got into lots of messes.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

So sorry for the sad news.  As Laurna said, remember all the happy times and warm cuddles.  You and DH will be in my thoughts.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

I'm sorry for your loss.  It's hard to let them go, even when it's objectively the "right" decision.

Am I mistaken, or were they related to Demercia's Brandysnap?  For some reason I want to think all three kitties were related.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Thank you to everyone for your sympathy.

They were Brandysnap's nephews.

And yes, Laurna, in their prime tey got up to lits of mischief.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Goatmistress

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, revanne.  My best wishes to you and yours in this time of grief.

Shiral

Awwwww  :'( I'm so sorry Revanne. I totally understand and agree with the reasoning behind the decision. It's never wrong to put a suffering animal out of pain.  Shere Khan would have been so lonely and bewildered without his brother, and that surely wouldn't have  helped his own health problems. But I know how terribly hard it is to say farewell to beloved animals, and to have to come home without them.  (((((Revanne and family)))))

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Raksha the Demon

So sorry you had to let your sweet ginger cats go; though it was probably the best decision possible, it sounds like a very difficult choice.

revanne

Once again thank you all for the sympathy and hugs. It really helps. I am remembering how they used to sleep curled up in warm dark corners and you couldn't see where one cat began and the other ended but looked like a furry ginger monster with two heads. We are going to put their ashes with those of my mum and dad who loved them so much.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

Desert Rose,
Yes they were two of a litter that Gingerbread, B's sister had.  Sadly I lost her to cancer when she was 10.  She was also a ginger, they are not all toms!, and she took up with a very disreputable tom.  She was a very sweet little thing, it was lady and the tramp!  B was very put out by the birth of the kittens and sulked for 3 days.  Then he woke me at 4 am one day teaching the 6 week old kittens how to kill a mouse!
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

Quote from: Demercia on April 12, 2018, 06:27:07 AM
Desert Rose,
Yes they were two of a litter that Gingerbread, B's sister had.  Sadly I lost her to cancer when she was 10.  She was also a ginger, they are not all toms!, and she took up with a very disreputable tom.  She was a very sweet little thing, it was lady and the tramp!  B was very put out by the birth of the kittens and sulked for 3 days.  Then he woke me at 4 am one day teaching the 6 week old kittens how to kill a mouse!

Yup, I had a ginger girl too; her name was Tessa (there's at least one pic of her in the Fur Kids gallery here on the forum).  She was one of a litter of four kittens, two boys and two girls, and both girls were ginger.  Apple was darker than Tessa.

Brandysnap appears to have that whole catting bit figured out pretty well.  ;)  And now that he's an elder statesman kitteh, he's relaxing.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

So very sorry for your loss, revanne.  I have a special place in my heart for ginger kittehs (even pestiferous ones named Luke!), and I know you and your family must feel gutted right now, but I'm so glad you have 15 years of memories to cherish. Praying for you and your family, and for Cassie who I'm sure will be bewildered by their absence for a while, but will have the comfort of her humans.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Shiral

Quote from: DesertRose on April 12, 2018, 09:35:46 AM
Quote from: Demercia on April 12, 2018, 06:27:07 AM
Desert Rose,

Yup, I had a ginger girl too; her name was Tessa (there's at least one pic of her in the Fur Kids gallery here on the forum).  She was one of a litter of four kittens, two boys and two girls, and both girls were ginger.  Apple was darker than Tessa.

Brandysnap appears to have that whole catting bit figured out pretty well.  ;)  And now that he's an elder statesman kitteh, he's relaxing.

Uncle Brandy had to teach his nieces and nephews how to be that "Better mousetrap" in true cat fashion!

I have my own little ginger girl in Tatiana, now. Although fortunately, she's already spayed. She and Dmitri didn't take very long to bond.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Uncle Brandysnap's mousing lessons paid off and when we lived next door to an overgrown ancient churchyard ( which we did for 13 years) Simba and Shere Khan lived in the equivalent of a kitty deli bar. We reckon the mice threw a massive thanksgiving party after we left.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on April 12, 2018, 01:20:04 PM
Uncle Brandysnap's mousing lessons paid off and when we lived next door to an overgrown ancient churchyard ( which we did for 13 years) Simba and Shere Khan lived in the equivalent of a kitty deli bar. We reckon the mice threw a massive thanksgiving party after we left.
As long as Simba or Shere Khan did not want to share their catches with you, by puttng said delicacies on your bed or worse, your pillow. I had a cat that did that once. EECK!  ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!