collapse

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
MerchantDeryni's FanFic / Re: Not quite fanfic
« Last post by Laurna on Today at 12:19:10 am »
It was fun reading the chat log tonight. Sorry I missed it.

When KK gave the possibility of a natural occurring Portal, that made me feel good moment. Not too long ago, on some other thread, no idea what that was about, I suggested that there might be some type of animal in the deryni world that could tune their mind toward special rocks and they could "jump" from one rock to the other, thus avoiding predictors. They might have two or three portal rocks in their family territories. They learn them from their parents. Perhaps they are family groups like rodents or mircats with tunnels to these special rocks which are underground. The ancient Deryni studied these animals wondering how they got from one tunnel mound to the other so quickly. That is when they discovered that natural portals exist. A little magical research and they find they can build larger ones that can move people.

I believe that if magic exists in this world, than nature would have found many ways to use it. Humans just happen to be the most skilled at discovering and using all the magic abilities available.
2
MerchantDeryni's FanFic / Re: Not quite fanfic
« Last post by Evie on September 23, 2018, 11:59:33 pm »
In my AU version of modern Gwynedd seen in Balance of Power, there have been some technological developments to help level the playing field between Deryni and non-empowered Humans a little bit, although the Deryni subspecies still has a natural edge over the non-magical segment of humanity. There are also magical amulets and the like that humans can buy to get a certain level of protection against some forms of magic. Granted, as Laurna mentions, there are also Deryni who are leery of anything that smacks of too much control and regulation of their powers, which is one reason why even though my version of Modern Gwynedd has a law requiring the registration of personal Portals, for instance (with many Deryni even being mostly in favor of such for law enforcement purposes), even normally law-abiding Deryni sometimes ignore that particular legal requirement themselves, or they might have one registered Portal on the government's official list but might have a secondary one known only to family that can serve as a personal bolt hole should it ever become necessary to have one. Given the almost certain cyclical waxing and waning of Deryni/Human good relations over the centuries, most of my AU Deryniverse's Deryni bear no ill will towards non-magical humans, but their memories of both overt and subtle persecution over the years run deep enough that they tend to be wary of any new law, regulation, technology, science, or what-not that might potentially be turned and used against them, and whenever something comes along that seems like it could become a possible threat to Deryni sometime down the road if allowed to continue unchecked, you can bet there are countermeasures quietly put into place or currently under development against those things. Maintaining the fragile peace between regular humans and Deryni over the centuries requires a careful system of checks and balances from both sides of that divide.
3
MerchantDeryni's FanFic / Re: Not quite fanfic
« Last post by Laurna on September 23, 2018, 11:03:52 pm »
Eventually, yes. But it would take a lot of research and money and it would have to be done and funded by humans. Rich Deryni would find all sorts of ways to subvert and destroy the data. Much like the oil companies have spent 60 years stopping the research of natural energy. Eventually, yes, the tech would be uncovered that can detect magic. I imagine however that it would be a long hard fight With most Deryni against that progress.
Kind of like super heroes in the comics that go underground, rather than have their super abilities registered and mapped.
4
Semi Free-Form Deryni Gaming / Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread
« Last post by Jerusha on September 23, 2018, 08:22:49 pm »
So well done, Laurna!  Iain/Archer is glad to still be whole and able to assist in the escape!
5
MerchantDeryni's FanFic / Re: Not quite fanfic
« Last post by Bynw on September 23, 2018, 08:10:26 pm »
Magic, psi, psychic phenomenon is energy like any other kind of energy. Electricity, Radiation, and a multitude of others. Eventually one will develop tech to find it, harness it, block it. And otherwise manipulate it.
6
Chat Logs / KK Chat--23 September, 2018
« Last post by Evie on September 23, 2018, 08:09:06 pm »
[18:06.56] * KK (~49ab39c5@971820.DC5E26.E57A87.522C17) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[18:06.59] <Derynifank> A lady from Michigan, I think
[18:07.09] <KK> Hello, all.
[18:07.20] <Evie> Hello!
[18:07.29] <Derynifank> Hi KK
[18:07.46] <KK> How's everyone this evening?
[18:08.34] <Evie> Doing fine
[18:08.38] <The_Bee> okay here.  I took Melantha to the vet for another blood drawing.  Hi, KK
[18:08.46] <Derynifank> Good. How about you? Hope you avoided any flooding
[18:09.02] <jemler> hi kk
[18:09.23] <KK> No flooding in our immediate area, but we've had a LOT of rain.
[18:09.32] <Evie> I'll bet!
[18:09.35] <KK> Bee, is Melantha ill?
[18:09.40] <Evie> Glad you've missed the worst of it
[18:10.19] <The_Bee> She has hyper-thyroid.  We're still working to adjust her medicine.
[18:10.36] <jemler> too bad you couldn't weather-magic away.
[18:11.14] <jemler> it went from 89 to 67 in one day.
[18:11.45] <Derynifank> Boy I wish that would happen here
[18:11.48] <The_Bee> Yike!  That's quite a change.
[18:12.48] <~bynw> hi KK
[18:12.57] <jemler> then we had a power outage for about 7 hrs.
[18:13.19] <The_Bee> Ouch!
[18:13.34] <Derynifank> Not fun
[18:13.38] <KK> Big change here, too.  It's in the low 70s/high 60s today.  I'm wearing a sweatshirt over my tee.
[18:14.14] <~bynw> we've got low 70s and high 60's forecast for the whole coming week. love the fall weather
[18:14.17] <Derynifank> I'M jealous. Still in the 80'S here
[18:14.58] <The_Bee> mild/cool here I just watched a gorgeous sunset.
[18:16.30] <Evie> Watching a British series about Freemasons on Netflix. Just turned it off at the end of an episode so I won't be distracted during chat. :-)
[18:16.44] <jemler> my yougest sister about freaked out. i'm on oxygen and she thought i's start gagging in about 2 seconds with out it. i can go for several hours, but you can't tell er that. once she gets an idea into her head you couldn'y shake it loose with a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick!
[18:17.30] <Evie> LOL, that's a picturesque image, jemler!
[18:17.34] <The_Bee> big lemon or tine brick?
[18:17.39] <The_Bee> tiny
[18:18.26] <jemler> the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (not the one from samdsung)
[18:19.12] <The_Bee> 42!
[18:19.41] <jemler> the answer to life, the universe and eveything!
[18:19.51] <The_Bee> Yep!
[18:20.08] <KK> I take it that this is a new development, Jemler?
[18:20.22] <jemler> the o2? yes.
[18:20.56] <The_Bee> How did it start?
[18:21.26] <The_Bee> and when?
[18:21.39] <Evie> Do you have access to a generator, in case the power is ever out for long enough for that to be handy?
[18:22.38] <jemler> those procedures i get every 3 months? well i had one where the doc gave me an antiotiv that i had a severe reaction to. major breathing difficulty.
[18:23.42] <The_Bee> allergies have been a major problem for you, haven't they?
[18:23.59] <Derynifank> Antiotiv?
[18:24.24] <jemler> thid was 4 months aho. it took time to get to my doctor for a test, then there was a daytime test called a 6 minute test. all i did was sit still without o2 for 20 minutes and i got the o2.
[18:24.45] <jemler> antibiotic. clindamycin.
[18:25.28] <jemler> yes bee a major problem.
[18:25.57] <jemler> brv. dinner.
[18:26.13] <Derynifank> Enjoy
[18:26.33] <Evie> My dinner is in the crock pot right now, torturing me with good aromas
[18:27.11] <The_Bee> I've eaten mine.
[18:27.31] <KK> Mine will be a bowl of cereal later.
[18:27.53] <The_Bee> dining aalone, KK?
[18:28.10] <Evie> Giggling at Gigi. She is "kneading biscuits" on a blanket with her face buried in it, and purring loudly. Or what passes for loudly for Gigi. She's audible from a few feet away.
[18:29.36] * The_Bee scritches gigi.
[18:29.53] <KK> No, Bee, just eating light.  I cooked big last night.
[18:30.13] <The_Bee> I hope it was yum.
[18:30.47] <Evie> I've been eating light today also, since yesterday DH and I splurged a little and tried some of the goodies from the brand new bakery in town where DD works now.
[18:31.03] <jemler> meatloaf, mashed taters, carrot coins
[18:31.32] <The_Bee> We had an ice cream social at church.
[18:32.44] <Evie> Sounds yummy
[18:33.14] <KK> Ice cream social sounds yummy!
[18:33.21] * bynw is just having a deli samich
[18:33.22] <Evie> BRB, checking on the beef pot roast
[18:33.35] <The_Bee> It was.
[18:33.45] * bynw wants to go to Evie's for the pot roast though
[18:35.07] <Evie> Had to uncork a bottle of sweet red wine for the roast, so an extra half cup went into a wine glass for me. :-)
[18:35.38] <Evie> Not quite Fianna quality, but it'll do
[18:35.44] <The_Bee> sweet red--ruby port?
[18:35.48] * bynw drools beef pot roast is his fav
[18:35.57] <Evie> Not a port
[18:36.06] <Evie> I had that for Communion earlier. :-D
[18:37.02] <Evie> I'm testing a new recipe, which has been a bit modified since I seem constitutionally incapable of simply following a recipe verbatim. LOL!
[18:37.56] <~bynw> good think cooking allows that were baking doesnt
[18:38.10] <The_Bee> me too.  they always demand too many ingredients I don't have.
[18:38.32] <KK> Yep.  Non-baking recipes generally are guidelines rther than rigid protocols.
[18:39.24] <Evie> +https://www.pinterest.com/pin/475974254364096201/,  The basic recipe, before I went mucking about with it. :-D
[18:40.24] <Evie> I didn't have beef broth or an onion on hand, so in went a packet of French onion soup mix in water instead.
[18:40.49] <~bynw> i dont like pinterest. you have to be a member to click on anything
[18:40.53] <Evie> And I'm not sure if I put in a cup of wine or not. I just poured until it looked and smelled right.
[18:40.55] <Derynifank> Sounds good to me
[18:41.08] <The_Bee> I suspect that "haute cuisine" began with people making the best use of what they had on hand.
[18:41.30] <Evie> Here's the original page, Bynw:  +https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast/,
[18:41.44] <~bynw> onions are a pantry staple ...
[18:42.11] <Evie> I'm a strange bird, Bynw. I actually don't like onions themselves, although I'm fine with them cooked into things.
[18:42.32] <Evie> We normally have at least one on hand, since DH like them, but he must have used them up.
[18:43.09] <Evie> And a lot of time, if I'm including onion in something, I just grab my bag of frozen onions/bell peppers mix and toss that in instead
[18:43.13] <The_Bee> Ever had sweet onions?
[18:43.13] <jemler> evie, i found another slow cooker pot roast on epicurious.com. i emailed you the recipe.
[18:43.32] <Evie> I have, Bee, but again, I only like them as a minor ingredient in something.
[18:43.42] * judyward (judyward@OWIRCN-cdcc182c.res.rr.com) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[18:43.51] <jemler> hi judyward
[18:43.53] <The_Bee> Hi Judddy!
[18:43.57] <Evie> OK, thanks jemler
[18:44.01] <Evie> Hi Judy
[18:44.03] <~bynw> hi judyward
[18:44.09] <Derynifank> Hi Judyward
[18:44.11] <judyward> Hi, Bee, Jimler, Evie and everyone!
[18:44.33] <jemler> the recipe calls gor a quart of red wine. :D
[18:44.40] <judyward> I've missed the last 2 chats!
[18:45.08] <Evie> LOL!  Well, I like wine as a flavoring ingredient in the gravy, but I don't want it to BE the gravy!
[18:45.08] <judyward> Can I have a quart of red wine? I thought the vet bill tonight might kill me, but it didn't.
[18:45.17] <The_Bee> glad you're here now
[18:45.26] <Derynifank> WB to chat Judyward
[18:45.28] <judyward> Me, too!
[18:45.39] <judyward> HI DFK!
[18:45.41] <Evie> You have a sick puppers or kitteh?
[18:46.01] <judyward> Puppy Caesar had a nose bleed & an ear infection.
[18:46.10] <The_Bee> Jemler, how many is that recipe supposed to serve?
[18:46.12] <Evie> Poor puppers
[18:46.22] <Derynifank> Hope hr's better
[18:46.36] <judyward> He got meds & feels a little better now.
[18:46.45] <Evie> I now have a Luke draped across my left arm with his paws on my right wrist, purring at everyone
[18:46.55] <judyward> Awwww!
[18:47.05] <jemler> 6 to 8 servings.
[18:47.39] <judyward> What are we making, Jemler?
[18:47.41] <The_Bee> There was a cat at the vet's who was complaining loudly. He SCREECHED at whatever the vet was doing to him.
[18:48.04] * The_Bee scritches Luke.
[18:48.21] <jemler> it was a recipe for pot roast with a quart of red wine as an ingredient.
[18:48.21] <judyward> They can be quite loud. Poor vet said he'd already been bitten twice today. Caesar didn't bite him.
[18:48.38] * MerchantDeryni (MerchantDer@OWIRCN-066e27f1.dsl.bell.ca) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[18:48.44] <The_Bee> The person who brought him in said he was a stray she found.
[18:48.47] <judyward> Sounds good. And would be good in or out of the pot roast.
[18:48.53] <The_Bee> Hi MD
[18:48.57] <jemler> hi merchantderyni
[18:49.14] <judyward> Hi, MD
[18:49.15] <Derynifank> Hi MD
[18:49.24] <MerchantDeryni> Good evening all.
[18:49.28] <Evie> When we first adopted Luke (he was a stray), we took him to the vet for the full checkup and shots, and before I knew what was happening, he was being passed around the clinic because he was so purring and goodnatured despite everything, he charmed the entire staff.
[18:49.29] <~bynw> hi MerchantDeryni
[18:49.48] <judyward> Sweet kitty!
[18:50.00] <Evie> Hi MerchantDeryni
[18:50.02] <KK> I need to take Nicholas to the vet tomorrow.  He has a big hematoma in his left ear, that needs to be drained and medicated.  Just noticed it a few hours ago.
[18:50.14] <Evie> Ow, poor guy!
[18:50.23] <The_Bee> That much wine sounds like ssomeone cooking for a banquet.
[18:50.52] <judyward> I'm supposed to take C to his regular vet tomorrow, but after $200 tonight, that might not happen. 80(
[18:51.02] * The_Bee sends quick healing woodgies to Nicholas.
[18:51.06] <Evie> :-(
[18:51.20] <~bynw> judyward, does your vet take carecredit?
[18:51.32] <judyward> Yep, C man had a hematoma but then his ear canal swelled up.
[18:51.46] <judyward> He might, but I don't have CC.
[18:52.15] <Evie> When we had to take Gigi to the emergency vet clinic, they had the CC applications in the waiting room, which was a big help.
[18:52.26] <~bynw> it can be a lifesaver sometimes for vet bill and even human medical and dental bills
[18:52.41] <Evie> we also had to use it back when we had Pixie, and he got out for a few days and got in a fight with something before returning home.
[18:52.48] <The_Bee> What is Carecredit?
[18:52.59] <judyward> I know, but I've applied before & been rejected. We don't use credit, so our score is low.
[18:53.24] <Evie> It is something like a credit card/line of credit for use when you have a veterinary or medical emergency, so you can pay it off in installments rather than owing everything up front.
[18:53.26] * bynw sets mode +vv Derynifank judyward for #Deryni_Destinations
[18:53.33] * bynw sets mode +o KK for #Deryni_Destinations
[18:53.46] <The_Bee> Ah, thanks, Evie
[18:53.54] <@KK> That's how I found out about it.  Not all vets take it, but ours does.  And it's also good for people dentists and the like.
[18:54.02] <~bynw> yup
[18:54.19] <@KK> And there's no interest if you pay it off within 90 days, I think it is.
[18:54.30] <+judyward> Yes, it would be handy, and you'd think they'd know we'd pay for our animals if nothing else.
[18:54.34] <Evie> We normally don't use credit either, but those two times when we needed it, it helped. Pets are expensive!
[18:54.34] <The_Bee> good to know
[18:54.35] <~bynw> sometimes its as much as 6 months
[18:54.37] * Jerusha (Jerusha@C06FE3.701A35.ED3923.2EB959) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[18:54.45] <~bynw> hi Jerusha
[18:54.47] <Evie> Hi Jerusha!
[18:54.48] <The_Bee> Hi jerusha
[18:54.49] <jemler> hi jerusha
[18:54.51] <+judyward> Hi, Jerusha
[18:54.56] <+Derynifank> Hi Jerusha
[18:54.56] * bynw sets mode +v Jerusha for #Deryni_Destinations
[18:55.09] <+Jerusha> Hi!
[18:55.19] <@KK> Yeah, use someone else's credit whenever possible, and avoid interest.
[18:56.02] <+judyward> Hey, we had 9+ inches of rain Thurs & Friday last.
[18:56.10] <+Jerusha> Sorry to be late; family dinner and puppy playtime
[18:56.24] <The_Bee> Yike!  Wheree are you?
[18:56.32] <+Jerusha> wr had 90+ km winds
[18:56.44] <Evie> wow
[18:56.44] <+Jerusha> we, that is
[18:56.52] <+judyward> We had wind but not that much!
[18:57.02] <The_Bee> What's that in miles?
[18:57.09] <Evie> New Dollar Tree sweater for Fr Devlin:  +https://www.flickr.com/gp/9573389@N08/MR9iDC,
[18:57.13] <+Jerusha> um. lots
[18:57.14] <+judyward> It parked a cloud over Hutto and drained it.
[18:57.29] <MerchantDeryni> 55 mph
[18:57.49] <~bynw> 90kph= 55.92341mph
[18:57.50] <+Jerusha> math is not my thing
[18:58.02] <Evie> That's why I usually Google conversions
[18:58.06] <+Derynifank> Love it Evie
[18:58.12] <Evie> Thank you, DFK
[18:58.13] <+Jerusha> But it blew over trees
[18:58.40] <Evie> Yeah, high wind will do that, especially if the ground is already soaked.
[18:58.54] <+Jerusha> very dapper, Evie
[18:59.20] <Evie> And since we have overhead power lines, high speed winds tend to lead to power outages here, due to the trees falling on the lines.
[18:59.28] <The_Bee> JudyWard, were you in hurricane Florence's target area?
[18:59.33] <Evie> I thought those colors would go well with his coloring, Jerusha
[18:59.41] <+judyward> No, Central Texas
[18:59.44] <+Jerusha> Same here,  Evie
[19:00.02] <+Jerusha> Very astute
[19:00.07] <@KK> We had one big branch come down in the side yard--no damage--but no trees, thank God.  We had enough tree damage earlier in the summer, spent several thousand dollars having them taken down the rest of the way or cut up and hauled away.  Wreaked havoc with the budget--but what can one do?
[19:00.33] <The_Bee> We dedicated our collection in church to victims of Florence and the gas explosions in norther Mass.
[19:00.42] <+Jerusha> At least we can use ours for firewood
[19:00.44] <+judyward> Yes, sad to loose trees, too. We didn't lose anything & no electrical outages
[19:01.08] <@KK> No outages ehre, either.
[19:01.11] <Evie> Those gas explosions were so strange! Did they ever figure out what caused that?
[19:01.16] <+Jerusha> We now have a good supply
[19:01.18] <+judyward> Those gas explosions were BAD! Did they hear what caused it?
[19:01.36] <jemler> we lost power fron about 7PM until 2:30AM/
[19:01.38] <The_Bee> Way too much pressure in the pipelines.
[19:01.53] <+judyward> Something malfunctioned, then
[19:01.58] <+Derynifank> We were really lucky in SE Virginia , Looked like she was headed right for us but turned off at the last minute
[19:02.22] <+Derynifank> Florence
[19:02.31] <Evie> +https://www.flickr.com/gp/9573389@N08/287u74,  Rosebud sprigged PJs
[19:02.45] <@KK> The explosions were near where Julianne lives, though they had no damage.
[19:03.11] <Evie> That's good. Wow, that would be scary!
[19:03.27] <+Jerusha> Whew, for a moment thought they were for Father Devlin
[19:03.33] <Evie> ROFL!
[19:03.38] <@KK> Nice PJ's.
[19:04.07] <+judyward> Glad Julianne got off wihtout any explosions!
[19:04.14] <+Jerusha> Yes
[19:04.22] * Derynifank (Derynifank@OWIRCN-dc339139.hr.cox.net) Quit (Quit: +http://www.kiwiirc.com/, - A hand crafted IRC client)
[19:04.35] <Evie> That was a tiny scrap of floral flannel I found in the remnants bin. It was something like 36" long, but only 5" wide, so I had to be careful with my pattern placement.
[19:04.37] <+Jerusha> Oops
[19:04.38] <The_Bee> The National Guard was distributing hot plates and space heaters to the victims.
[19:05.05] <+judyward> That's good of the Guard.
[19:05.28] <+Jerusha> Oops for DerynifanK leaving, not the floral placement
[19:05.58] <The_Bee> Yes.  Columbia Gas is helping people convert to eelectric or other heating.
[19:06.21] <Evie> Is eelectric what you get if you use electric eels for power?
[19:06.22] <Evie> :-D
[19:06.35] <The_Bee> LOL! of course!
[19:06.46] <+Jerusha> Shocking!
[19:07.00] <Evie> I got a charge out of that
[19:07.01] <+judyward> We have propane in Hutto. Piped like gas to the houses, but Propane.
[19:07.23] <+Jerusha> Have that at the cottage
[19:07.42] <+judyward> Way cheaper than electric.
[19:07.47] <The_Bee> Is it aany safer than gas?
[19:08.15] * Derynifank (Derynifank@OWIRCN-dc339139.hr.cox.net) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[19:08.23] <The_Bee> Hi DFK
[19:08.23] <+judyward> Bought the same, I guess.
[19:08.25] <+Jerusha> Much the same I think
[19:08.27] <Evie> I got some free art supplies (mostly paints and things to add to paint s/a texturing mediums, flow enhancers, etc.) from a retired art teacher at church who wasn't going to use it and donated it to me to use for doll stuff.
[19:08.31] <+judyward> WB DFK
[19:08.45] <Derynifank> Is kiwi acting up now?
[19:08.47] <Evie> So I'm looking forward to going through the box to see what is in there
[19:08.48] <+Jerusha> Nice, Evie
[19:08.59] <The_Bee> Good for  her/him
[19:09.47] <Evie> Now I just need time to do something with it!
[19:10.12] <+judyward> BRB
[19:10.16] <Evie> There were also some thin craft wood boards that might make decent furniture. Duncan reminds me he needs a prie-dieu. :-D
[19:10.27] <+Jerusha> Time is a precious commodity
[19:10.33] <~bynw> just because your chat fails it might not be kiwi or mibbit or the chat. it could very well be something inbetween
[19:10.38] <Evie> I remind him my woodworking skills are nearly nonexistent
[19:11.00] <+Jerusha> Duncan has faith
[19:11.15] <Evie> He also reminds me that I keep claiming I'm going to build him a study someday. LOL!
[19:11.41] <Evie> 'Before I die of brittle vinyl, hopefully.'
[19:13.07] <+Jerusha> Alas, my brain has come up empty for a response
[19:13.11] <The_Bee> Those pious types are masters of the art of fundraising.
[19:13.18] <Derynifank> He does needcacstudy, Thing how much has happened  in his study over the years
[19:13.32] <~bynw> from the chat server to you Derynifank, the connection passes through 4 networks
[19:13.45] <Evie> First I need a clear work table to build it on, which would require me cleaning my craft room.
[19:13.56] <+judyward> Yes, like talking to secret grandsons.
[19:14.05] <Derynifank> Wow. I had no ide.
[19:14.19] <+Jerusha> That could be a challenge in my case
[19:14.34] <Derynifank> Idea
[19:14.45] <+judyward> No 15th?
[19:15.05] <Evie> Beware the Ides of September doesn't have the same ring to it
[19:15.21] <+judyward> Lacks bite.
[19:15.38] <+Jerusha> We could make a stab at it
[19:15.46] <~bynw> no one famous was murdered on the ides of september
[19:15.47] <Evie> et tu, Jerusha?
[19:15.52] <+judyward> C wants to go out. BRB. again.
[19:16.18] <+Jerusha> :)
[19:16.21] <Evie> My left arm is falling asleep. Thanks, Luke.
[19:16.57] <+Jerusha> Purrfectly comfortable
[19:17.09] <Evie> For him, yes. For me, not so much.  :-D
[19:17.12] <+judyward> Well, he just wanted the water bowl filled.
[19:17.54] <+Jerusha> Who is C, Judyward?
[19:18.06] <+judyward> RE: prev. It's just not the cutting edge.
[19:18.14] <+judyward> our dog Caesar
[19:18.21] <+Jerusha> ouch
[19:18.47] <+Jerusha> ouch to cutting edge, not Ceasar
[19:18.54] <+judyward> He of the ear infection, hematoma & nose bleed.
[19:19.03] <Evie> Caesar said Ouch to a cutting edge on the Ides of March
[19:19.12] <Evie> But that was a different Caesar
[19:19.15] <Derynifank> Poor baby
[19:19.29] <+judyward> Oh, right! Didn't connect his name to it.! LOL!
[19:19.37] <+Jerusha> poor Ceasar!
[19:19.37] <~bynw> Derynifank (and anyone else too), here is something you can do ... for fun even. find your start button which should have a search box right near it on most Windows computers. in the search box put in CMD (you might have to hit enter) this should bring up a command prompt box (its a small black window) in that window type:   tracert irc.otherworlders.org
[19:19.41] <~bynw> then hit enter
[19:19.52] <Evie> Julius Caesar, not Caesar the Expensive. ;-)
[19:20.11] <+judyward> Exactly!
[19:20.20] <+Jerusha> Yep
[19:20.21] <Derynifank> You don't have a Brutus do you
[19:20.37] <+judyward> No, no Brutus.
[19:20.50] <The_Bee> My start button has gone misssing.
[19:20.52] <Derynifank> Will try that after chat
[19:20.55] <+judyward> Although his sister, Tsin'tia II, can be bossy.
[19:21.55] <+Jerusha> What kind of dog?
[19:22.00] * TheDeryni (~TheDeryni@Flirt.Storyteller.Wiseass) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[19:22.00] * derynibot sets mode +o TheDeryni for #Deryni_Destinations
[19:22.14] <Evie> Hello, Deer
[19:22.20] <+Jerusha> Hi TheDeryni
[19:22.20] <+judyward> Rhodesian Ridgebacks
[19:22.24] <Derynifank> Hi TD
[19:22.26] <~bynw> hi TD
[19:22.28] <@TheDeryni> Hi, Deerest
[19:22.29] <+Jerusha> Ah
[19:22.33] <+judyward> Hi, TD
[19:22.36] <@TheDeryni> 'ello all
[19:22.45] <The_Bee> Hi TD
[19:23.00] <+judyward> You can see pictures on my FB page
[19:23.01] <jemler> Julius Caesar sent his friend Brutus to the bakery for a dozen donuts. When Brutus came back, there were only 10 donuts in the box. Julios looked at hos friend and sais, "Et tu, Brute?"
[19:23.15] <+judyward> Oh, gah!
[19:23.31] <MerchantDeryni> ouch.
[19:23.38] <jemler> hi td
[19:23.40] <@KK> You had to work at that one, didn't you, Jemler?
[19:23.42] <+Jerusha> Launches trout at Jemler
[19:23.42] <Evie> Don't make me get the mackerel  launcher out. :-D
[19:23.56] * The_Bee throws a tiger shark at Jemler.
[19:24.03] <@TheDeryni> I liked it
[19:24.23] <+judyward> It was pretty clever.  Or cleaver?
[19:25.32] * Evie ponders the logistics involved in arming the launcher with a shark
[19:25.33] * TheDeryni (~TheDeryni@Flirt.Storyteller.Wiseass) Quit (Client closed the connection)
[19:25.43] * TheDeryni (~TheDeryni@Flirt.Storyteller.Wiseass) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[19:25.43] * derynibot sets mode +o TheDeryni for #Deryni_Destinations
[19:25.53] <Evie> rehi Deer-Hart
[19:25.56] <+Jerusha> Maybe a swordfish?
[19:25.59] <@TheDeryni> Ack!
[19:26.18] <Derynifank> Tiger shark sounds scary
[19:26.22] <Evie> Coughing up a hairball there?
[19:26.35] <@TheDeryni> Something like that
[19:26.55] <The_Bee> Speaking of sharks, a young man was recently killed by one on a Cape Cod beach.
[19:27.12] <+Jerusha> Oh dear
[19:27.13] <+judyward> That's scary!
[19:27.39] <Derynifank> Makes you want to stay  out of the water
[19:27.43] <Evie> :-(
[19:27.47] <jemler> did you hear the one about Randolph the Brown-nosed reindeer? he's Rudolphs' cousin. he flies right behind Rudolph. he flies just as fast, he just don't stop so quick.
[19:27.48] <+Jerusha> Yep
[19:28.06] <+judyward> LOL!
[19:28.13] <+Jerusha> Oh Deer
[19:28.15] <@TheDeryni> There tracking a huge great white in that area. Guess what they named her?
[19:28.23] <MerchantDeryni> Odd question for KK, or anyone else for that matter. How difficult is it to find a Portal? Is dowsing as an ability able to track a portal location?
[19:28.31] <@TheDeryni> *They're
[19:28.32] <The_Bee> They're saying that a growing seal population has led to a growing shark population.. They like to eat seals.
[19:28.54] <+judyward> And people sometimes.
[19:29.12] <jemler> morgan scanned for the Portal at St. Neots.
[19:29.22] <~bynw> people are just funny tasting seals
[19:29.37] <jemler> or was that Duncan?
[19:29.43] <Derynifank> Scanned or scryed?
[19:29.48] <MerchantDeryni> Some seals are also good singers. "A Kiss from a Rose"
[19:30.10] <+judyward> Duncan, wasn't it? he wanted to find a faster way to get Alaric out.
[19:30.19] <+judyward> I heard that one today in the car!
[19:30.40] <@TheDeryni> Well, they tagged her dorsal find and named her Katherine. Hmm.
[19:30.41] <+judyward> I always thought it was Crosby, Stills & Nash.
[19:30.48] <+Jerusha> You heard Duncan in the car?
[19:30.50] <jemler> roght ! after alaric was dosed witg merasje by warin de grey!
[19:30.52] <@TheDeryni> *find!
[19:30.57] <@TheDeryni> Ack
[19:31.03] <@TheDeryni> Fin
[19:31.12] <+judyward> finned
[19:31.13] <The_Bee> The guy who was killed was on a paddle board, IIRC.  I've that a board with 4 limbs jutting out looks like a seal to a shark.
[19:31.24] <+judyward> I've heard that before.
[19:31.39] <@KK> They say most shark attacks are from mistaken identity, thinking a person is a seal or the like.
[19:31.49] <~bynw> i would think it would depend on a number of factors like age of the portal, how active the portal is or has been
[19:32.08] <The_Bee> Has Morgan ever scanned for a Portal at Coroth Castle?
[19:32.29] <@KK> I don't think Portals are naturally occurring; someone has to construct one.
[19:32.29] <~bynw> or as KK wrote in Deryni Magic:  Physical contact, especially with a hand, also is helpful in attempting to locate an unknown Portal or one grown weak through disuse, as when Duncan searches for a long-destroyed Portal site in the ruins of Saint Neot'
[19:32.30] <+Jerusha> I'm sure he has
[19:32.36] <+judyward> I think he would know of any there, but he might not be sharing the info.
[19:33.14] <+Jerusha> Certainly not with Denis Arilan
[19:33.21] <The_Bee> Surely Alaric would share with kelson or Duncan.
[19:33.33] <+judyward> Duncan would probably know.
[19:33.41] <MerchantDeryni> bynw: that leads to my follow up question. Can a Deryni use his power to "stabilize" or strengthen a portal? Well used portals have a smoother ride if I recall. So can a Deryni pump energy into a portal while not using it to "tune" it?
[19:34.00] <MerchantDeryni> I want my Portal network to be a smooth ride for the users. :P
[19:34.02] <Evie> If Alaric knew of a Portal at Coroth, he almost certainly would have used it. But there might well be one there from before his time that he is unaware of, if it is in one of the areas of the castle that is closed off
[19:34.04] <@KK> Of course, someone had to construct the first one; or else, there there <are> naturally ocurring ones, or at least locations that lend themselves to having a Portal instated there.
[19:35.28] <@KK> Just thinking with my fingers here.
[19:35.32] <~bynw> MerchantDeryni, if i were writing a story or playing in an RPG with Deryni and portals. Sure I would allow it but only a point. A portal gets stronger the more its used.
[19:36.11] <@KK> So it sounds like there <are> locations that more readily lend themselves to having a Portal instated theer.
[19:36.42] <@TheDeryni> I'm contagious, sorry KK.
[19:36.43] <jemler> a naturally occurring portal? some kind of weird gravitational focus, like the bermuda triange?
[19:36.50] <The_Bee> KK, have you fingers been thinking of The Road to Killingford?
[19:36.55] <Evie> Interesting. Which leads to the question, what sorts of locations might be more apt to be naturally occurring Portals?
[19:37.08] <MerchantDeryni> Ley lines were mentioned in a thread about portals. A spot with a couple of leylines crossing over it could make for an easier portal construction if yu wanted to work things along those concepts
[19:37.16] <@KK> Keep in mind that the original concept for Portals cae from ST transporters.  ;-)
[19:37.35] <jemler> stonehenge, pyramids.
[19:37.47] <@TheDeryni> Dolmens
[19:38.03] <@KK> Ley lines could well create next that would be useful for Portal locations.
[19:38.12] <+judyward> I didn't know that about portals, KK.
[19:38.18] <@KK> Concentrations of earth energies and th elike.
[19:38.29] <The_Bee> nexus,  KK?
[19:38.37] <@KK> next, as in plural of nexus.
[19:38.37] <Evie> So if you have a Canadian speaking in a Scottish brogue, he could shorten his time estimate for Portal construction by a quarter of the estimated time?
[19:38.45] <@KK> Nexi.
[19:38.46] <Evie> At least if he's an engineer wearing a red shirt?
[19:39.44] <+Jerusha> Let me think about that
[19:40.06] <MerchantDeryni> In my Pepper and lace story I want to add a scene of a "Portal Specialist" who tries to stabilize new and jangly portals to make them easier to use.
[19:40.42] <@TheDeryni> Scotty was the only "Red shirt" that survived episodes.
[19:40.51] <+judyward> Would the specialist be named Scotty?
[19:41.09] <Evie> Wouldn't the initial energies involved in creating them make them start off stable, although if left unused maybe that initial energy dissipates fairly quickly thereafter?
[19:41.18] <@KK> That's an interesting notion, though perhaps a little too technological for the Deryni universe as we know it.  Still, certain magical practitioners might well have specialties.
[19:41.34] <@TheDeryni> Red shirt = "He's dead, Jim."
[19:41.40] <+judyward> Like Healers.
[19:41.41] <jemler> like Healers?
[19:41.58] <+judyward> You owe me a Coke, Jemler
[19:42.01] <The_Bee> or blockers
[19:42.09] <Evie> MD is working on a story arc in the Deryni universe that is set later in period, around the Age of Exploration, I think.
[19:42.24] <@KK> Indeed.  And certain Deryni might have honed their mind-probing skills, to be useful for interrogations.
[19:42.29] <Evie> After the discovery of those lands west of the Atalantic Ocean.
[19:43.17] <MerchantDeryni> I am fiddlign around with a story about the longitude problem. Latitude is easy to figure out. Longitude was the real challenge. BUT>transfer portals could allow accurate timekeeing across distance
[19:43.36] <Evie> We've had an interesting forum thread lately that extrapolates on Deryni powers and how they might be used in a modern society
[19:43.48] * Derynifank (Derynifank@OWIRCN-dc339139.hr.cox.net) Quit (Quit: +http://www.kiwiirc.com/, - A hand crafted IRC client)
[19:44.45] <Evie> Laurna had some really interesting ideas from a medical perspective on how micro-wards might come in handy for all sorts of purposes, if we had modern day Healers.
[19:44.47] <MerchantDeryni> All my stories depend on frequent and easy use of Portals. So I want a plot point to describe why Portals don't kill folks.
[19:45.11] * Derynifank (Derynifank@OWIRCN-dc339139.hr.cox.net) has joined channel #Deryni_Destinations
[19:45.18] <Evie> Maybe Portals sometimes do kill folks, if they don't use them with due caution
[19:45.22] <The_Bee> wb dfk
[19:45.39] <@TheDeryni> wb, DF
[19:45.44] <+judyward> Popping in and out tonight.
[19:45.45] <Derynifank> Thanks
[19:45.55] <+Jerusha> Trapped portals might
[19:45.57] <MerchantDeryni> He's standing on a Portal
[19:46.00] <Derynifank> Not popping on purpose
[19:46.43] <+judyward> You know, you might have to fence off portals from infant Deryni.
[19:47.09] <+Jerusha> babygates?
[19:47.09] <Evie> I doubt they'd know another Portal signature to jump to, much less how to balance the energies between them
[19:47.34] <Evie> That would take a measure of control that infants wouldn't have, even if they weren't under parental controls for their own safety
[19:47.36] <Derynifank> Don't want them wandering thru portals at will
[19:47.41] <+judyward> Yes, could they accidentally teleport themselves into a stone wall or something?
[19:47.42] <@TheDeryni> Savant portal jumpers
[19:48.11] <+Jerusha> Maman. look, I brought a pony through the portal!  I wanted a pony!
[19:48.21] <Evie> Poor Will. First everyone keeps firing at him, now he's got savant infants teleporting to him!
[19:48.24] <+judyward> LOL!
[19:48.27] <@KK> I think a child would have to be specifically taught to use a Portal, after many experiences of being taken through by a parent or other adult.
[19:48.58] <+judyward> Hopefully so.
[19:49.01] <Evie> It doesn't strike me from the books as something one could accidentally learn how to do
[19:49.26] <+judyward> No, I think they'd have to learn it.
[19:49.45] <MerchantDeryni> KK, your comment about naturally occurring portals gives a cool story opening. Imagine the first deryni to notice the natural link at a point. They mentally probe the link and balance energies and are suddenly miles away
[19:49.47] <+Jerusha> Not an automatic skill
[19:49.50] <jemler> you would have to learn several locations.
[19:50.05] <@KK> I asgree.  It isn't the sort of thing ou could experiment with, at least until you had the concept that such a think could exist, and how it might work.
[19:50.28] <MerchantDeryni> Once they figure out what the heck happened they figure out how to build a site for themselves.
[19:51.24] <Evie> Actually, MD, I can see that working only if they first happen upon an earlier nexus and noticed it felt interesting, then found a second one later that had a similar but different feel. Maybe in trying to compare the two energy signatures, they accidentally leap from one to the other?
[19:51.29] <jemler> which one of Orins scrolls would have covered them?
[19:51.53] <Evie> And then figure out how that happened and manage to get back by doing the same thing in reverse
[19:52.02] <+Jerusha> I should go. Must share the cottage laptop with DH.
[19:52.09] <@KK> Evie, that has definite possibilities.
[19:52.18] <jemler> nite jerusha.
[19:52.19] <+judyward> Have a good week, Jerusha!
[19:52.19] <+Jerusha> Have a good week, everyone!
[19:52.25] <Evie> G'night Jerusha
[19:52.26] <@KK> Night, Jerusha.
[19:52.26] <@TheDeryni> By, Jerusha!
[19:52.32] <@TheDeryni> Ack
[19:52.34] <@TheDeryni> Bye
[19:52.35] <The_Bee> bye jerusha
[19:52.36] <Evie> Aliset sends Darcy hugs
[19:52.54] <+Jerusha> Darcy hugs back!
[19:52.59] <MerchantDeryni> So no risk then of a Portal sniffer standing on a portal and sniffing out conenctions in the energy lines to discover hidden Portals? That makes me feel better.
[19:53.00] <+judyward> I think Aliset has been something more than hugs!
[19:53.10] <+Jerusha> :)
[19:53.18] * Jerusha (Jerusha@C06FE3.701A35.ED3923.2EB959) Quit (Quit: +http://www.kiwiirc.com/, - A hand crafted IRC client)
[19:53.39] <Evie> They're newlyweds, so let's hope so, but this IS a public chat. ;-)
[19:53.57] <@KK> Hmm, getting late, I see.  On an entirely different note, before I leave, have any of you seen The Shape of Water?  Watched it last night on HBO.  I can see why it got several award nods. 
[19:54.07] <+judyward> LOL! Yep, it is. I was not specific.
[19:54.15] <Evie> I haven't seen it yet
[19:54.37] <~bynw> i havent seen it yet either. but its on the list
[19:54.51] <@KK> I think that, other than trap portals, it would be fairly difficult to booby-trap a Portal.
[19:54.52] <@TheDeryni> I haven't, KK. I'm on a CThe Good Doctor ' binge
[19:55.14] <@TheDeryni> I give up on typing.
[19:55.37] <Derynifank> I saw the original Oceans 11 with the rat pack last nihht, very interestING twist at the end
[19:55.38] <The_Bee> I'm not much of a movie-goer, KK.
[19:55.38] <@KK> I like The Good Doctor.
[19:55.45] <Evie> I wonder if one could Ward a Portal in such a way that one couldn't land on it without bumping up against the ward?
[19:55.47] <+judyward> Is that amovie?
[19:55.53] <~bynw> i thought of a great booby trap for a portal. build it at the bottom of a well and fill it with water, gotta hold your brother when jumping in
[19:55.59] <@TheDeryni> I love it.
[19:56.15] <Evie> Hold your brother? LOL! Do you mean hold your breath?
[19:56.30] <Derynifank> Feyd warded the portal in the ruins I think
[19:56.31] <~bynw> breath
[19:56.44] <~bynw> not sure how that typ0 got it
[19:56.50] <Evie> I mean, if your brother is expendable....  :-D
[19:56.53] <@TheDeryni> My fault
[19:57.08] <~bynw> hehehe
[19:57.11] <+judyward> I couldn't jump in a well even if there was a portal at the bottom
[19:57.11] <Derynifank> Yes Judy, movie from 19 60's
[19:57.14] <The_Bee> or you brother is a lifeguard.
[19:57.29] <+judyward> Thanks DFK
[19:57.41] <~bynw> by jumping in i mean teleporting to it
[19:57.56] <@KK> I think Shape of Watre is gone from theatres by now, but as I said, I watched it last night on HBO.  A "monster" movie with severall charming twists.
[19:58.03] <Evie> I think Laurna had an idea of moving very heavy furniture onto a Portal, so if you tried to come through it, there is nowhere to land.
[19:58.27] <Evie> Isn't it based on "The Creature From the Black Lagoon?"
[19:58.32] <~bynw> that might be fun ... that could lead to those ST Transport accidents
[19:58.38] <The_Bee> Or the Regents have blocked it up.
[19:58.42] <+judyward> Would you then bounce back to your original location?
[19:58.52] <Evie> In theory, yes
[19:59.02] <~bynw> judyward, maybe or you might become part of the furniture too and be dead
[19:59.10] <+judyward> Caesar is ringing that bell again.
[19:59.12] <@KK> A similar looking monster, but I don't remember many details from Creature, after so many years.
[19:59.19] <+judyward> True, bynw
[19:59.22] <Evie> In the Harry Potter universe, I think that's called being splinched
[19:59.30] <Derynifank> Getting  late and battery getting low so will say goodnight. Have a good week everyone
[19:59.40] <~bynw> splinched is usually fixable, death isnt
[19:59.41] <+judyward> 'Night DFK
[19:59.43] * Derynifank (Derynifank@OWIRCN-dc339139.hr.cox.net) Quit (Quit: +http://www.kiwiirc.com/, - A hand crafted IRC client)
[19:59.47] <@TheDeryni> G'Night, dfk
[20:00.01] <Evie> Not normally, no
[20:00.02] <MerchantDeryni> The humans did fill in a portal location with rubble so nothing could appear in it, correct? In Camber the Heretic if I recall. ...
[20:00.04] <@KK> I'm out of here, too.  See you next week.
[20:00.05] <@TheDeryni> Ack!.... Again
[20:00.14] <@TheDeryni> Bye, KK
[20:00.15] <Evie> Bye, KK!
[20:00.21] <MerchantDeryni> bye KK !
[20:00.22] <~bynw> night KK
[20:00.24] <The_Bee> bye KK. Thanks for ccoming.
[20:00.29] <+judyward> Night KK!
[20:00.40] * KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodbye, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[20:00.51] <Evie> My pot roast is starting to smell amazing. Shall I mail you some, Bynw? ;-)
[20:00.54] * TheDeryni waves
[20:00.55] <~bynw> hmmm ideas of what to do with portals ....
[20:01.10] <~bynw> hmmmm pot roast ::drools more::
[20:01.11] <+judyward> It's cool here; I could do a roast.
[20:01.13] <@KK> I saw that....  ;-)
[20:01.18] * KK (~49ab39c5@971820.DC5E26.E57A87.522C17) Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC)
7
MerchantDeryni's FanFic / Re: Not quite fanfic
« Last post by MerchantDeryni on September 23, 2018, 07:27:00 pm »

Using technology to find a portal would be an interesting invention. I was thinking of Dowsing to keep things magical. I have no idea what sort of technical innovation could be used to justify finding a Portal. That would be interesting technology.

The small size of a Portal makes for a very small needle in a large haystack though. I guess it would depend on what sort of signal it gave out. Could you mask a Portal to make it stealthy? The mobile portal cannot even be sensed by folks other than Camber.  (Saint Camber 302-303, pg 95 in the Deryni Magic book) Jerusha cannot sense the portal.

The ease or difficulty in finding a portal is the limiting factor in all my stories. In the books most Portal locations are not exactly well known. If Portals are easily discovered then my extrapolations and history would be altered.  If they are not easily discovered then a clandestine smuggling network would allow easy movement of people across it. 
8
Semi Free-Form Deryni Gaming / Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread
« Last post by DerynifanK on September 23, 2018, 05:37:54 pm »
That was wonderful Laurna. Thank goodness Iain looks just like his  brother which  earns Wash's trust.  Hurrah for Wash's healing himself. Things are finally  looking up. Glad those were not Torenthi dice you guys were using. Still chewing my nails. I may get down to the quick.
9
Semi Free-Form Deryni Gaming / Re: Ghosts of the Past
« Last post by Laurna on September 23, 2018, 03:57:04 pm »
Iain’s feet were racing, as was his mind-- could he pull this off? It would take all the experiences of a lifetime to reach his end goal. His orders from his King were to spy on Valerian and to disable him by any means possible. That means was locked up in a cell behind him. And that was one big angry man he just left there. He needed more time to gain Sir Washburn’s trust, even if he had that time, he had doubts he could get passed the facade of hate that Master Feyd had overwhelmed the Lendour knight with. There certainly was no time to deal with that now, It would take considerable time and energy to undo what had been done, and that would have to be after they escaped. 

Iain ran up the corridor. He jammed his torch in the bracket opposite the torch that Piers had just placed there. Then he ran around the last bend, which put him at the base of the ladder. The only other light came down from the shaft opening above.  Silhouetted against that light, Iain could see Piers climbing; he was a third of the way up. He had to be stopped before he got the attention of the senior guard in the entrance guard room. Iain started his ascent, faster than his partner. Piers felt him on the ladder, slowed his climb, and called down. “Only one of us is allowed up top at once. It is my turn and you know it.”

“Haven’t we both been down here long enough?” Archer said disgustedly. “I could really use some grog.”

“You and me both,” Piers replied. “You go back down and I’ll bring you some. In about an hour. I need a break.”

“Dang man! An Hour?” Archer exclaimed as he reached the rung just below Pier’s feet, “Not good enough by half.”

Piers put a hand down and pointed below. “Get back down there and do your job, or I will report you.” He was reaching for the club at his belt to enforce his command. That’s when the Deryni Baron Iain Cameron, known here as the guard Archer lunged upward and grabbed Piers’s hand. ((Jerusha> !roll 2d6 roll for Iain. 12:35 PM <•derynibot> I'm back! 1, 6 == 7)) That was the contact Iain needed. In a flash of thoughts, the baron had control of his guard-duty partner. You left your club in the prisoner’s cell, remember?. You need to go return for it. Don’t want the senior guard to find out what happened down there, Iain insinuated the idea into Piers’s mind. The guard made an exasperated sound like he had just remembered something, he reversed his climb and started heading back down. Iain hung off the edge of the ladder to let him pass. As he came to eye level, Iain’s hand touched Piers’s forehead. You don’t see me. Follow my orders. Climb back down and retrieve your weapon. Then he pulled the club from the guard’s belt and let him descend. Archer descended when Piers reached the floor. Then he followed behind his partner, hefting his own torch from the bracket after Piers had his. One behind the other, they entered the cell block and walked back to Valerian’s special guest’s suite. Not paying any attention to Archer behind him, Piers had his keys in hand. Under mind controlled he found the correct one, placed it in the lock, and turned it.

As the bolt came free, Iain gave a small smile and slid his hand back over his partner’s forehead. He checked his manipulations. If time came when Piers was Truth Read, the guard  would admit to returning to Washburn’s cell to get his club. In the confrontations of before, Archer had pulled the club from Washburn’s hand, but had put it down on the floor where it had been forgotten. Piers would freely admit this is why he returned. The thought of retribution for giving the prisoner the same injurious kick he had received was already in Piers’s mind. Iain didn’t have to contrive that retaliation, he just removed any restraint Piers might have had for causing Brioc’s prisoner more injury. Brioc was nearly dead anyway, he wasn’t going to come down here and find out anytime soon.  This let Piers’s blood boil with anticipation of retribution. Of course, Archer would come in and stop him from it hopefully winning him some trust in the prisoner’s mind. A small plus he hoped. A Truth Say would find Piers at fault for Washburn’s escape and not Archer’s. Of course, a full mind reading of his partner would discover the truth. But who would honestly want to mind read a guard. That might happen, but long after Iain and Washburn had escaped.

Certain that his controls were set, Iain let Piers enter the prisoner’s cell.

------------------
Washburn turned frantic as he saw torch-light nearing the grill. Damn, he had to get that buckle loose. (( 12:52 PM<•Washburn> !roll 2d6  12:52 PM  <•derynibot> I'm back! 5, 2 == 7)) It came free just as he heard the fumbling of keys. Still in the dark, he jerked the strap off his head. And pulled it from his teeth. Now was his chance, Move or die! he yelled at himself.

((•washburn>  washburn standing and getting to the door before it opened  3:25 PM !roll 2d6  3:25 PM <•derynibot> 6, 3 == 9))

He was far less agile than he should have been. Pain ripped through his ribs. He repressed a grunt and stood, pushing off the wall to run at the opening door. A guard walked in and Washburn tackled him. ((3:31 PM  <•washburn>  tackling guard to the ground, if failed guard does not fall. 3:31 PM !roll 2d6  3:31 PM <•derynibot> 6, 3 == 9))

The guard Piers took the assault full in the stomach. Both men tumbled to the stone floor of the cell doorway. Washburn tensed for a fight. The guard kicked at him but otherwise did not respond in the way a normal man would by rolling aside or striking back; Piers did nothing in his defense.  Even when Washburn raised his fist, intent to knock the guard’s teeth out, there was no recognition from the guard that he was in danger. That is when Washburn realized there was a second torch over them both.  He held his fist and looked up from the floor at Archer who was smiling mischievously over them.

Angered by the assassin Deryni’s cleverness for evading his first attack, Wash jumped up to attack his  intended target.
((Washburn's initiative roll vs Archer. 1:18 PM !roll 2d6 1:18 PM <•derynibot> 4, 1 == 5))
((Iain’s initiative roll vs Washburn 4:49 PM <Jerusha> !roll 2d6 4:49 PM  <•derynibot> 3, 4 == 7))

Archer was quick to sidestep and to call out “Morgan, Hold!” and that was all it took to stop the mountain of anger from crashing down on the shorter man. Watching the blood throbbing in the knight’s neck, Iain breathed out “Thank you, grand duke,” knowing Washburn would pulverize him if had not been for the use of those voice controls. He walked over to Piers, “Get up you fool!’’  Piers stood awkwardly, he shook from the blow, but it wasn’t he that Iain kept his eye on. No, it was those pulsing blue eyes that were a full head higher than his own. Eyes that ragged in anger. Washburn was a big man. That Morgan blood was telling and hard not to respect. Iain did respect the Morgan’s, yet that was not what was going to win this Morgan over, nor calm him down, not at this moment.

“Look, Sir Washburn, I’m on your side! I want to get you out of here. You have to trust me in this. If you want freedom, don’t fight with me. This will be a lot easier on both of us if you willingly follow my lead.” Showing good faith, Iain eased up on his mind control, letting Washburn move and settle from his attacking stance.

Tense as a bear, Washburn straightened his back and squared his shoulders. “Your Feyd’s man, Yes?” The tall knight accused, certain in his mind that Archer was.  “I don’t willing follow anything Feyd asks of me.” Morgan flexed his arms in defiance. He stood even taller than Iain remembered see him in Rhemuth.  Remembering well that day the knight had won the Elven Kingdom’s Tournament, he’d out fought every foe who had entered the arena with a sword that day. Including some men of Norse who stood as tall as ancient evergreen trees. As they had been taller than Washburn by a head, the Baron of Isles felt Wash towering over him by equal amount. Size wasn’t everything, the Lendour knight had gained victory over both Norsemen, just as Iain knew he could win if he and Wash came to a fist fight. Not a prospect he looked forward to. Talk first, win him over with words.

“I’m not an accomplice of Master Feyd,” Iain asserted. “You rest easy on that account.  Let us just say, my employer wants to take Grand Duke Valerian down, even more so than you do.” Iain used his own council deciding not to mention Kelson; he did not know just how much hate for Kelson, Feyd had instilled in Morgan.

“You don’t know what I want,” the prisoner hissed.

“You want freedom, and you want revenge for those who put you here. It was not I. I swear on my mother’s grave. With me you can get free. Without me you don’t stand a chance.” Iain stared at the blue eyes, recognition of truth seemed to show through. How Washburn could truth read without his powers, Iain didn’t have time to contemplate.  “Piers,” Iain called using his magic as persuasion. “Sit yourself where the prisoner sat.” Archer pointed to the back wall. Giving one last assuring look at Washburn, he stepped passed the knight into the cell. He found his own key ring at his belt, then knelled over his old partner. One wrist he shoved into the shackles and gave the key a twist, the second wrist he did the same, locking it down. The fact that the shackles had simply been unlocked and not broken was a fact that Iain did not miss. It forced him to keep a wary eye on the knight by the cell door. But there was one thing he could not resist. “Ah yes, I have not forgotten about the spike on the wall.” He lifted the guard’s right shackle and slapped the chain over the spike. “No harsh feelings about this, but I think you deserve a taste of your own medicine.” Iain put his hand over his old partner’s eyes, “Sir Washburn attacked you and took your keys and locked you in his place. Be thankful he didn’t kill you. Well, on second thought, you might not see the sun again, so you might wish he had. You’ve wanted sleep for hours, here is your chance, Sleep!” Iain commanded.

Washburn’s thoughts were rampant. He did not trust this Archer, who ever he was. It was truth enough that it would take both of them to escape this place. Never was Washburn one to take orders from a man not his superior. The best way to assure his escape was to switch their rolls. Washburn needed to be in control, not let this Archer fellow control him. Archer’s momentary concentration had turned to the chained guard. Washburn took the few paces very slowly to approach Archer from behind. He had never tried what he had read he could do. Could he find the spot? Would it truly work? Only one way to find out. If he failed, it was his freedom on the line. ((Does Washburn succeed in blocking Iain. 2d6 standard test,  results = 4 + 4 = 8 Verification Number: 1xfvdrst6z Nope))

His hand missed the assassin's head, for Archer was not so trusting as to have turned a blind eye to the angry knight.

Archer ducked down, jumping up squarely in the cell’s corner with both feet facing his opponent, his balance was well trained. Iain didn’t know what the knight had just attempted, but his gut feeling was that it was no good. He could wrestle this huge man down if he needed to. He had the advantage even if it wasn’t size. The knight was a warrior, his strengths were with swords, there were no swords here. Only two clubs in the room and Iain had both of them on his belt. Iain wanted to negotiate Washburn’s compliance, else-wise this was going to be a hard escape.  “You attacked me, why? You know I could make you kill yourself with just a few words. I don’t need you to do the job I was employed to do. It just makes it easier for both of us if you’re the one. Perhaps then you'll earn the trust from your brother. Become a hero in your family's eyes. Then the Duke of Corwyn will reinstate you back into the line of inheritance.”

“What? reinstate?...I was never disinherited.” Washburn’s anger peaked.

“As of this morning, you were.” Wrong thing to say to a man who was six foot three inches and as broad as a horse, iain chided himself.

Washburn lunged.
((Bynw” Fist fight is 1d6”
6:37 PM  <•washburn> Laurnarose ok thanks
6:38 PM Fist fight Washburn against Iain Add three XP for 1d6 success 4,5,6.
6:38 PM !roll 1d6
6:38 PM  <•derynibot> 3 == 3))

The lunge wasn’t precise, even fully angered, the knight protected his right side. Fast with a sword wasn’t the same as fast with his fists. The space was small, yet the guard Archer rolled decisively out of the knight’s reach. He jumped up to his feet at the cell door. The two had just switched places. To Washburn’s own horror, he realized Archer could so easily just slam the door and lock him in. His anger might have just cost him everything.

Iain desperately racked his brains for something that would stop the angry man in front of him from exploding and bringing the wrath of God, or more accurately the Devil down upon them. Any more disturbances and they were likely to incite the other prisoners who were surely listening. Piers had made it quite apparent that no one had been allowed to sleep. Having the upper hand standing at the door, gave Iain a chance to again scan through Washburn's unshielded thoughts. Damn, did the man trust no-one. Feyd had done his job too well. Strands of loose pale hair fell over Iain’s face. Distractedly, he dashed them aside, realizing in the roll that his cap had come off. When he looked back at Morgan there was the strangest look in the man’s eyes. A recognition of a friend that seemed to calm the bear inside.

“Darcy?” Wash stammered, knowing it couldn’t be, yet in the torchlight this man could have been his friend’s twin.

Continuing his scan of the warrior before him, Iain saw an eerily familiar face jump out at him. Darcy! It had to be. His little brother grown to be a man, in company with a rugged country priest and a slender figure that blurred between that of a man and a woman in Washburn's memory. In all the hate and anger, they were the only three who filled Washburn's memory with trust, them and a servant girl; Iain didn’t explore those memories. Well, he wasn't any sort of priest, nor yet a woman, but Iain looked as like to his grown up younger brother Darcy as two peas. That then was the key.

“I’m Iain, Baron ‘o Isles, Darcy’s brother.” Iain brushed his hair back again. It wasn’t going to stay back without his cap. “Darcy and his companions are in route to here, if we can get you free, we will meet up with them. I can feel your powers returning. So, read the truth and trust what I say. I’m not Feyd’s man. I am here to spy on the leaders of the rebellion and to thwart them if possible. We work together on this, we can do the job I need to to. That will get us both out of this hell hole, and into the company of my brother and your friends.”

Washburn’s stance eased considerably. “I read your truth and I trust that your blood ‘o Isles be as honorable as the blood in your younger brother. Darcy is a good man.” Washburn took a step forward, then cringed, holding his right side. His ribs had become aggravated by all the motion. He held out a hand when Iain would come closer.  “I need a moment or I will never get back up that ladder.” He unknotted his belt and loosened his tunic, pulling the green silk and the black linen shirt up, exposing his ribs that looked angrily black in the torch light. He flattened both hands over his ribs. His eyes unfocussing into a trance state.

(( Washburn healing self healing test 1d6. 11:20 AM !roll 1d6  11:20 AM  <•derynibot> 6 == 6. Hit points healed self healing =1d6/2 (round up)!roll 1d6 11:22 AM  <•derynibot> 5 == 5. That is 3 hit point healed.That puts Wash back to full health. I must thank our GM for using non-torenthi dice for these rolls.))

Words come to Washburn as he performs the skill that had passed down to him from his father. A hand not unknown to him warmed the top of his own hands as power and health restore what was broken and abused.
We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones”


Camber smiles at him as he says the last words almost in song. Washburn’s tension eases, feeling better than he had in days.

Iain watches, amazed. As the big man’s hands fall away, the flesh had returned to whole, no markings of injury left to be seen.  Just before Washburn settled his shirt, Iain saw a flask hanging from the knight’s neck. ‘What is that?” he asks.

Washburn’s hand moves his shirt up again exposing a green caped flask. But his hand will not touch it and as quickly he pulls his shirt down and then his tunic, hiding the flask. “That is a gift from Feyd. A gift of power and of madness, one that only a madman would dare to take.” Washburn retrieves his belt and knots it back on. “Let’s get out of here.”


Thank you muchly goes out to Revanne and Jerusha for helping me with Iain's thoughts and words.
*Roll the bones lyrics by Rush. Sung in honor of Bynw’s rolls for me.
10
General Information, Question, and/or Ideas / Re: Transfer portals on a glacier
« Last post by Bynw on September 23, 2018, 09:32:02 am »

Of course, you still need a reason to do this.....


Why does a man climb a mountain?


Because it is there.



But you are very correct. That would be crazy work just to build a portal because you can. It would be more cost effective to get to that place the same way we do now. Fly in, fly out. But Deryni powers could keep one warmer there. Just couldn't blink out during an emergency.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* User Info

 
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Not quite fanfic by Laurna
[Today at 12:19:10 am]


Re: Not quite fanfic by Evie
[September 23, 2018, 11:59:33 pm]


Re: Not quite fanfic by Laurna
[September 23, 2018, 11:03:52 pm]


Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Jerusha
[September 23, 2018, 08:22:49 pm]


Re: Not quite fanfic by Bynw
[September 23, 2018, 08:10:26 pm]


KK Chat--23 September, 2018 by Evie
[September 23, 2018, 08:09:06 pm]


Re: Not quite fanfic by MerchantDeryni
[September 23, 2018, 07:27:00 pm]


Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by DerynifanK
[September 23, 2018, 05:37:54 pm]


Re: Ghosts of the Past by Laurna
[September 23, 2018, 03:57:04 pm]


Re: Transfer portals on a glacier by Bynw
[September 23, 2018, 09:32:02 am]

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Poster

Evie Evie
2024 Posts
Elkhound
1077 Posts
DesertRose DesertRose
773 Posts
Alkari
696 Posts
Laurna Laurna
639 Posts

* Most Karma

Evie Evie
Karma: 30
DesertRose DesertRose
Karma: 23
Jerusha Jerusha
Karma: 21
Laurna Laurna
Karma: 15
revanne revanne
Karma: 14

* Online Time

Evie Evie
120d 12h 25m
DesertRose DesertRose
116d 16h 13m
TheDeryni TheDeryni
115d 20h 48m
AnnieUK AnnieUK
53d 22h 50m
Laurna Laurna
39d 11h 41m

* Forum Staff

Bynw admin Bynw
Administrator
DesertRose admin DesertRose
Administrator
Evie admin Evie
Administrator
Shiral gmod Shiral
Zipper Sister
Unicorn636 gmod Unicorn636
Zipper Sister
Laurna gmod Laurna
Community Supporter
revanne gmod revanne
Community Supporter
DerynifanK gmod DerynifanK
Community Supporter
judywward gmod judywward
Community Supporter
KK gmod KK
Our Queen
gmod Alkari
Community Supporter
AnnieUK gmod AnnieUK
Community Supporter
Jerusha gmod Jerusha
Community Supporter

* Board Stats

  • stats Total Members: 639
  • stats Total Posts: 20213
  • stats Total Topics: 2076
  • stats Total Categories: 14
  • stats Total Boards: 135
  • stats Most Online: 181

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29
30

No calendar events were found.