• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 92
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90
Google
Bing (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 12:07:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KK Chat -- 18 Mar 2012

Started by DesertRose, March 18, 2012, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

[17:46] * KK has joined #deryni_destinations
[17:46] <Evie> Oh, that's the button you press to record your voice.  It's a talking Ken doll
[17:46] <jemler> KK!
[17:46] <Evie> KK!
[17:46] <KK> Hi, guys.
[17:46] <Evie> Hi!
[17:46] <Evie> I was just telling folks about my latest work in progress...my long-threatened Duncan 12" Action Figure!  :-D
[17:46] <jemler> How ya doin' KK?
[17:46] <KK> Sorry I've missed the past few weeks.
[17:47] <Evie> http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=844.0  for the Work in Progress thread
[17:47] <Evie> We have really missed you
[17:47] <Evie> but hope everything is going well
[17:47] <jemler> throwing fish at me isn't as much fun when your not here! Smiley
[17:47] <KK> Well enough, though Scott had a surgical adventure last month that resulted in the removal of his gall bladder.
[17:47] <Evie> LOL
[17:47] <Evie> Oh dear!
[17:47] <Evie> that's not good. :-(
[17:48] <Evie> hope he's recovering well, though
[17:48] <jemler> double-plus ungood!
[17:48] <KK> Spent a night in the ER, then they operated the next day, late afternoon.  48 hours without sleep.  But he came through fine.
[17:48] <Evie> Good
[17:48] <Evie> btw, Alkari is temporarily afk but should be back soon
[17:49] <Evie> probably wasn't expecting you to show up so early
[17:49] <jemler> and Duck stopped by last week.
[17:49] <KK> Ah, misread my watch.  I thought I was late.
[17:50] <Evie> LOL!  No, not at all.
[17:50] <jemler> you didn't spring forward?
[17:50] <Evie> And we don't mind you showing up early. Saves us putting out the bait traps...um, the ice cream and watching it melt. Cheesy
[17:50] <KK> I did, but misread my watch while we were watching game wardens and having our afternoon tea.
[17:50] <Evie> watching game wardens?
[17:51] <KK> On TV.  I forgt the name of the actual show.  It's on Nat Geo.
[17:51] <Evie> ah
[17:51] <Evie> You're here early enough that Luke and Gigi haven't awakened from their naps to greet you yet. ;-)
[17:52] <KK> Ah, Gus is also still asleep in his basket father than walking on me and biting at my rings while I try to type.
[17:52] <KK> rather
[17:52] <jemler> is the show called 'Wild Justice'?
[17:52] <KK> Yes!
[17:53] <Evie> Oh...quick question...Do you have a specific name for the Earl of Danoc's castle/county seat, or if I write him into a fanfic, should I just make a name up for it?
[17:53] <jemler> there's an episode on right now called 'Bitten by Justice'
[17:53] <KK> Watching idiot people putting out dry catfood for the local bears.  This is a no-no especially for the bears, because they they become nuisance and get themselves shot.
[17:54] <Evie> :-(
[17:54] <KK> If it isn't in the Codex, I probably haven't come up with a name for it yet.
[17:54] <Evie> OK
[17:54] <KK> Tell me about the 12" Duncan action figure.
[17:55] <Evie> You can see pictures of him at http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=844.0
[17:55] <Evie> I've had lots of fun doing research for him
[17:55] <Evie> liturgical garments (which I've not made yet), etc
[17:56] <Evie> He got a cassock and a stole just today.  I sewed the fringe and gold cross on his purple stole just before you showed up, so that photo isn't uploaded yet
[17:56] <jemler> You should make traditional Border clothes for him too. He is from a clan.
[17:56] <Evie> I just got a swatch of mini-tartan that I am hoping will work for that
[17:56] * jemler sings 'The Bonnie Scotsman'
[17:56] <Evie> I used the passage in QFSC that talks about the McLain colors of green, white and black, and inferred from that that his plaid would be in those colors
[17:57] <Evie> so then I researched mini-tartan setts and finally found a source that sold it at a reasonable price ($13/yard, but I need 1/4 to 1/2 yard at most) rather than $280 a bolt with a requirement of buying it by the bolt!
[17:57] <KK> It's basically the McLain tasrten, which is probably the oldest standardized tartan; pieces found at Culloden.
[17:58] <Evie> WHY I would need an entire bolt of min-tartan I have no clue, even if it's the true McLain tartan!  Especially at $280/bolt.  I told Alkari that at that price, the real Duncan had better come with the fabric!
[17:59] <Alkari> back  Smiley    Cupcakes in oven ...
[17:59] <Alkari> Hi KK
[17:59] <Evie> I found McLean Ancient and McLean Hunting (usually with that spelling, though  I understand McLain is a variant), but unfortunately not by the yard in a miniature sett.
[18:00] <Evie> but now I'm having an urge to research tartan scraps found at Culloden.  Cheesy
[18:01] <Alkari> rofl
[18:02] <KK> I'm reading on the other side.  :-)
[18:02] <Alkari> KK, she has given up trying to find suitable actors for Duncan, so has decided to "make her own" - at least in miniature.
[18:02] <Evie> I also did pretty much a straight sided T-tunic for the 12th C. cassock, basing it off a picture of St Anthony of Padua, I think, since I figured modern-style cassocks wouldn't quite do.  I haven't got the little capelet thing made for it yet (blanking out on the real name at the moment)
[18:02] <jemler> Scapular?
[18:03] <Evie> I thought it was a scapular also, jemler, but apparently that's not technically correct if it's just the rounded portion over the shoulders
[18:03] <Evie> either that, or there's another name for that as well
[18:04] <Evie> I saw it just a few hours ago when I was looking up liturgical brocades to see how much a yard would cost
[18:06] <Evie> Most is well beyond my budget even for one yard, but there were a few I found on eBay that are more affordable, and some regular brocades that might do if not looked at too closely
[18:07] <jemler> I don't think you'll need Papal approval for the clothes! Smiley
[18:07] <Evie> And I'm thinking of replacing the current Ken doll with a poseable action figure body and more realistic head sculpt.  The main problem is that most head sculpts are based on comic book heroes, action adventure heroes, and/or martial arts movie stars, most of whom look nothing like Duncan's description
[18:08] <Alkari> you mean Duncan isn't an "action adventure hero"? Wink
[18:08] <Evie> I'm sure I won't, jemler, but I just can't see Duncan serving Mass in cherry blossom brocade unless I distract the eye from the fabric print with lots of gold trim. ;-)
[18:09] <Alkari> Cherry blossom brocade - the new Eastern influence on the Chruch in Gwynedd
[18:09] * jojo (Mibbit@C06FE3.84EB87.C35A93.224725) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:09] <Evie> LOL!  Brocade imported from Byzantyun via Torenth?
[18:09] * the_Bee (~the_Bee@OWIRCN-9b2def69.ma.comcast.net) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:09] <Evie> Hi, jojo and Bee
[18:09] <the_Bee> Hi Evie and Howdy jojo
[18:09] <Alkari> Yes.  The new era of Church friendliness
[18:10] <Alkari> Hi there Bee and jojo.
[18:10] <Alkari> BRB - cupcakes ...
[18:10] <jemler> http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/things/vestments_priest.htm
[18:10] <jemler> The following vestments are worn by all priests at the celebration of the mass. The separate garments are to be put on according to ecclesiastical rules in a fixed order, as follows:
[18:10] <jemler>    1. Amice
[18:10] <jemler>    2. Alb
[18:10] <jemler>    3. Cincture
[18:10] <jemler>    4. Maniple
[18:10] <jemler>    5. Stole
[18:10] <jemler>    6. Chasuble
[18:10] <jemler>    7. Cope
[18:10] <jemler>    8. Dalmatic
[18:10] <jemler>    9. Surplice
[18:10] <jemler>   10. Biretta
[18:10] <Evie> OK.  Be sure to share those cupcakes once you take them from the oven
[18:10] <jemler> hi jojo, Bee
[18:10] <jojo> Howdy y"all
[18:10] <KK> I've looked at AF Duncan's entire post now, and he looks pretty cool.
[18:10] <the_Bee> friendliness between chrches or friendly churches?
[18:10] <jemler> Are one of these what you're thinking of, Evie?
[18:11] <Evie> Thank you!
[18:11] <Evie> the stole looks cooler now with the addition of the fringe and crosses
[18:11] <Evie> the whole set, jemler
[18:11] <the_Bee> KK! Glad to see you.
[18:11] <Evie> in white and gold for Easter, if I can find the brocade in time
[18:11] <Evie> I already have the white linen
[18:11] * Jerusha (Mibbit@OWIRCN-a06cb5f6.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:12] <Evie> Hi, Jerusha!
[18:12] <the_Bee> Hi Jerusha
[18:12] <jemler> i just entered 'names of priestly vestments' in google
[18:12] <jemler> hi jerusha
[18:12] <jojo> Hi Jerusha
[18:12] <KK> A slubbed white or cream silk-type would work as well as a brocade, which probably would be far too large a scale.
[18:12] <Jerusha> Hi Everyone!
[18:12] <Evie> yes, I've got research notes in a file somewhere that shows good line drawings of each to base patterns on
[18:12] <KK> And he doesn't wear all those pieces at once.
[18:13] <jemler> you mean he goes around in just the cinture? WOW! Smiley
[18:13] <Alkari> back
[18:13] <Evie> Yes, and I might still have some ivory raw silk downstairs, but I'm not sure
[18:13] <KK> That would work.
[18:13] ->> THWACK :Unknown command
[18:13] * Evie loads up a catapult with a basket of sardines and lays siege to jemler's head
[18:13] <the_Bee> What's a dalmatic?
[18:13] <Evie> It's like a wide sleeved, very fancy tunic
[18:13] <KK> This is reminding me of the CamBear that someone gave me years ago.  He's in full MIchaeline robes.
[18:14] <Evie> of Byzantine origin, but also part of the set of liturgical garments worn when a bishop is in full regalia
[18:14] <Evie> Oh, cool!
[18:15] <Evie> I once saw a photo online of someone in a Michaeline costume they made, but when I went to look for it while making my Schola robes, it was gone
[18:15] <Evie> either that or I didn't use the right search words
[18:15] <KK> Dalmatic is a typical deacon vestment, as tunicle is for the sub-deacon.  Bishops technically wear them in the layers of their formal vestments, but I doubt Duncan would bother--certainly not most of the time.
[18:15] <jemler> a biretta is the cap, i guess it's the one worn by Dave Allen in so many skits.
[18:16] <the_Bee> as opposed to a beretta.
[18:16] <Evie> I tried making Duncan a really tiny tonsure by covering the top of a thumbtack with a thin layer of Sculpey, but it wouldn't sink deep enough into his head for the hair to fluff up around it
[18:16] <Evie> so somewhere on my shelf is the world's cutest tonsure with no home. Cheesy
[18:16] <Alkari> besides, Duncan objected to the pin in his head.
[18:16] <Jerusha> Ouch!
[18:16] <KK> That's the one with the pom-pom on top, and the little vanes that stick up at three sides.  (There's none on the 4th side; don't ask me why.)  But it's too modern for Deryniland.
[18:17] <Evie> I was thinking of making him a zucchetto to hide where his tonsure would be.
[18:17] <Evie> but not sure how far back those skull caps go.  Pretty far back, I think.
[18:17] <Evie> and it would be easy enough to make one.
[18:18] <KK> I wouldn't worry about the tonsure.  As you said, as a bishop, he'd mostly be wearing the skullcap or secular headgear.
[18:18] <Evie> I could probably find some purple felt
[18:18] <jemler> kind of crazy, isn't it? I mean, they GIVE you a bald spot and then, cover it up! Smiley
[18:18] <KK> They're even worn under a miter.
[18:18] <Alkari> he can just grow a natural bald patch as he gets older
[18:18] <Evie> LOL, jemler!  They're to cover it up to keep it warm
[18:19] <Evie> I was glad to see that 12th C miters hadn't grown to ridiculous proportions yet
[18:19] <Evie> though still  trying to work out how to make one
[18:19] <KK> Yes.  Think of the film of Becket.
[18:19] <Evie> I may just wear my DVD out watching Becket again...and again....
[18:19] <jemler> A man who's losing his hair in front is sexy. A man who's losing his hair in back, is a great thinker. A man who's losing his hair in both places, thinks he's sexy!
[18:20] <Evie> Burton's pretty blue eyes weren't your original inspiration for Duncan, were they?  Cheesy
[18:20] <the_Bee> I remember that.  One of the best movies I've seen.  Peter o'Toole as King Henry?
[18:20] <jojo> yes
[18:20] <Alkari> Yes.  And then O'Toole reprised the role later as older Henry in The Lion in Winter
[18:20] <KK> Most of the costumes in that film are what I picture for Gwynedd.  And El Cid--though not the weirdnesses of the Spanish court, at least for the women.
[18:20] <Alkari> SHOULD have got the Oscar for that
[18:20] <jemler> Wasn't he in Lawrence of Arabia, too?
[18:20] <the_Bee> Who played Beckett?
[18:21] <jemler> Richard Burton.
[18:21] <Alkari> Yes - that was themovie that started him, jemler
[18:21] <KK> Costumes in Lion are not so good, though.
[18:21] <Evie> I found an adorable mail coif and shirt sized for 12" action figures on eBay, but it was $150.   Fortunately my DD has made chain mail jewelry before, and she says she can make it for the cost of the little jewelry jump rings to use as metal rings.  I bought her a $5 bag and told her to start knitting mail.  Cheesy
[18:21] <Alkari> I am watching Game of Thrones on DVD - loving the costumes in that
[18:21] <KK> They're doing Lion in Winter here in Staunton later this summer.  Yahoo!
[18:22] <jemler> I bought that series too, Alkari. Also reading the books.
[18:22] <Evie> Have you seen The Pillars of the Earth yet, KK?
[18:22] <Alkari> It's funny to see a very young James Bond as the French king, KK - Timothy Dalton
[18:22] <the_Bee> never sen it.  Which Royals is Game of Thrones about?
[18:23] <KK> Not yet.  Saw Iron Lady last week, and am looking forward to Hunger Games.
[18:23] <jojo> it'sown worlde
[18:23] <Alkari> Fantasy series from George Martin's books
[18:23] <jojo> it's own world
[18:23] <Evie> I also loved Vision, which is the story of Hildegard von Bingen, and well worth picking up on Amazon.com if you can't find it locally. It's in German, but subtitled
[18:23] <Alkari> I want to see the NOrwegian movie Headhunters
[18:23] <the_Bee> I never heard of Hunger Games till a day or  two ago.
[18:24] <Alkari> Out here, one reviewer said:  See the Original before the American remake
[18:24] <Evie> Was Iron Lady good?
[18:24] <KK> Yes!  She deserved her Oscar.
[18:25] <KK> The Help is also very good.
[18:25] <jemler> Bee. You have 5 Kings. Joffrey Baratheon, Robb Stark, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Balon Greyjoy, and an exiled Princess Daenerys Targaryen.
[18:25] <Evie> last movie I went to was the John Carter of Mars one, because my DH became a fantasy fan based on reading those books as a kid
[18:26] <KK> John Carter is on my list. How was it?
[18:26] <Alkari> And I want to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
[18:26] <Jerusha> I liked it, though it won't win an award
[18:26] <Evie> It was a fun movie.  Not destined to become a great classic, I don't think, but made for an enjoyable evening out
[18:27] <jemler> then it's sure to become a cult favorite.
[18:27] <the_Bee> IIRC the last movie I saw in a theatre was the one we all saw at our mini-Derynifest in PA a few years ago.
[18:27] <jemler> rule of thumb: If the critics hate it, the people will love it!
[18:27] <Evie> I probably won't be making John Carter action figures, but I wouldn't mind seeing the film again on DVD.  Cheesy
[18:27] <KK> On Wednesday, we're seeing the 75th Anniversary showing of Casablanca on the big screen; taking my mother along.
[18:27] <Alkari> lol
[18:27] <the_Bee> John Carter got beat out the The Lorax.
[18:27] <the_Bee> by the Lorax
[18:27] <jemler> be sure ti take the ususal suspects
[18:28] <jojo> KK that sounds great!
[18:28] <jemler> and DON'T say 'Play it again, Sam'
[18:28] <KK> It's a favorite for all 3 of us.
[18:28] <Evie> One day I really need to see Casablanca. It's been on my list for years
[18:28] <jojo> I took my mom to Broadway road show of the revival of South Pacfifc... she LOVED it!
[18:29] <Jerusha> You've never seen Casablanca?
[18:29] <KK> And here I thought you were an educated woman of the world! See it!
[18:29] <Evie> No, Jerusha, I've led a misspent life. ;-)
[18:29] <jemler> I'll say, drooling over a priest! Smiley
[18:29] <Jerusha> Tsk, tsk.  You must correct that. I've seen it at least 10 times.
[18:29] <the_Bee> I read they planned to film two ending, one with the woman staying with Rick, but when they saw the one with Rick sending her back to her husband, they said That's it!
[18:30] <jojo> Eventhe actprs dodm
[18:30] <jojo> oops
[18:30] <Evie> That's one of the more regrettable holes in my education.  Unlike, say, my lack of knowledge of why anyone ever tried the first taste of durian fruit, but I can live with that lack of knowledge. ;-)
[18:30] <jemler> Poor Rick. You win some, you lose quite a few!
[18:30] * BalanceTheEnergies (~chatzilla@D5CC77.0C0944.C1D02E.C78DB0) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:30] <Alkari> I saw it at a Humphrey Bogart film day, along with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
[18:30] <jojo> Even the acr\tors didn't know
[18:30] <jemler> hi bte
[18:30] <Evie> Hello, BTE
[18:30] <BalanceTheEnergies> Hello all.
[18:30] <jojo> High BTE
[18:30] <the_Bee> Hi BTE
[18:31] <Jerusha> Hi BTE
[18:31] <jemler> no African Queen or Key LArgo or Maltese Falcon?
[18:31] <BalanceTheEnergies> Have I missed much?
[18:31] <the_Bee> We'rte reviewing movies.
[18:31] <KK> Maltese Falcon is also a favorite.  I have the Bird up on my bookcase.  (Well, one of them.)
[18:31] <Evie> Hm. Just noticed in the uploaded photo, Duncan's stole looks like it's Sarum Blue. It's actually Lenten Purple.
[18:31] <BalanceTheEnergies> Ah. Any consensus?
[18:32] <Evie> or maybe it's just this monitor
[18:32] <jemler> Bogie is the BOSS
[18:32] <jojo> yes!
[18:32] <BalanceTheEnergies> "The stuff dreams are made of"
[18:32] <the_Bee> Several Casablanca fans here
[18:32] <KK> Yes!
[18:32] <Jerusha> Don't worry Evie, all the young maidens of Gwynedd will still be flocking to Mass
[18:33] <BalanceTheEnergies> I do like the duelling national anthems.
[18:33] <jemler> somebody should open a nightclub called Rick's
[18:33] <KK> If it <Is> Sarum blue, you can save it for Advent.
[18:33] <the_Bee> I wonder if someone did.
[18:33] <Evie> See, there are advantages to having a handsome bishop.  Higher attendance at Mass.  ;-)
[18:33] <KK> I think there have been a number of cafes called Ricks.
[18:34] <BalanceTheEnergies> I once saw a tshirt that advertised "Rick's American Cafe" in Casablanca.
[18:34] <jemler> tell that to the people on Ash Wedsesday getting ashes from a simple priest.
[18:34] <Alkari> But Evie, those lustful thoughts!   Of course, you then have to go to confession - with that same priest or bishop
[18:34] <jemler> Cafe Americain
[18:34] <Evie> True, jemler, but he *had* just freaked out half  the Court by putting on a light show.... ;-)
[18:35] <Evie> and :-P, Alkari!
[18:35] <jemler> 'Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I want to jump your bones'
[18:35] <Evie> *headdesk*
[18:35] <jemler> LOL
[18:35] * Evie turns Action Figure Duncan away from the monitor so he can't read this chat and get embarrassed
[18:36] <jemler> Evie, did you ever see the series 'SAOP"?
[18:36] <jemler> SOAP, sorry
[18:36] <Evie> "Father, forgive this chatroom for its usual irreverence...."
[18:36] <Evie> Nope
[18:36] <Evie> I heard of it but didn't watch
[18:36] <Alkari> wouldn't mind going to Mass held by either Duncan or Cardiel
[18:36] <Evie> I think I was just in my late teens at the time
[18:37] <jemler> Corrine Tater (played by Diana Canova) was in love with her priest
[18:37] <Alkari> Cardiel is nearer my age, of course Wink
[18:37] <jemler> How did he become Archbishop at 25? Smiley
[18:37] <the_Bee> ??
[18:37] * derynifanatic64 (Mibbit@F8E647.70AEDE.F99969.D437C6) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:37] <Evie> Ooh, I'll have to find that action figure head sculpt that i fell in love with, only it looked better suited for Jared or Cardiel
[18:37] <jemler> hi df
[18:37] <Alkari> LOL - thanks jemler Wink
[18:37] <Jerusha> Nice, Jemler!
[18:37] <the_Bee> Was the THAT young?
[18:37] <derynifanatic64> hi all
[18:37] <jemler> no, sSHEis!
[18:38] <Evie> No, Bee, jemler's kissing up. Cheesy
[18:38] <Alkari> Hi DF
[18:38] <jojo> hi df
[18:38] <jemler> SHE is
[18:38] <BalanceTheEnergies> Hello DF
[18:38] <derynifanatic64> what is jemler kissing up to
[18:38] <Alkari> I rather like Cardiel
[18:38] <the_Bee> yes, he's charmingly naive about some things.
[18:38] <Jerusha> So do I.  Very well grounded.
[18:39] <jemler> Alkari said Cardiel was her age. I asked how he became Archbishop at 25!
[18:39] <jemler> Fascinated by, but not offended by, Deryni magic.
[18:39] <the_Bee> Rmember the scene where they're sneaking into Coroth Castle, and Cardiel wonders how he'll get through the water without drowning?
[18:39] <Evie> If you scroll down this page to the close up photos of this head sculpt, keep in mind that this is for an action figure head the size of a Barbie Doll's, and look at how detailed it is!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/330699266303?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
[18:40] <jojo> Cardiel is insightful about the true motive of the use of power; any kind of power...love or gain
[18:40] <Evie> LOL!  i love that scene, Bee
[18:40] <Alkari> Yes - and he's open minded
[18:40] <BalanceTheEnergies> Found it: Rick's Americain Cafe T shirt :http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/WEB-EXCLUSIVES_300/Item_Ricks-Cafeacute-Americain-Casablanca-Morocco-T-Shirt_AB1421T_ps_ctf-300.html
[18:41] <jemler> he looks like Kurt Russell!
[18:41] <the_Bee> The link doesn't click.  Try without the first :
[18:41] <Evie> a lot of the head sculpts are based on actual people, because they use computer scanning technology to create the 3D features
[18:42] <jemler> http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/WEB-EXCLUSIVES_300/Item_Ricks-Cafeacute-Americain-Casablanca-Morocco-T-Shirt_AB1421T_ps_ctf-300.html
[18:42] <jemler> try it now
[18:42] <BalanceTheEnergies> That reminds me of something I wantd to ask KK: is there an equivalent to the book City of God and/or just wat theory in Gwyenedd?
[18:42] <derynifanatic64> and use 3D printers to make them
[18:42] <KK> Cassock looks good, Evie.
[18:42] <BalanceTheEnergies> Sorry "just War theory".
[18:43] <KK> There's probably a City of God equivalent.
[18:43] <jemler> I'd like to see the Book of Kells
[18:43] <the_Bee> cassock? All I saw was the head of a Marine.
[18:43] <BalanceTheEnergies> Any idea who wrote it or when?
[18:43] <KK> Back on the website, Bee.
[18:44] * Alkari checks results of baking and passes round tray of fresh cupcakes.  No icing as yet, but they are flavoured with ginger and cinnamon and are YUM
[18:44] <KK> Book of Kells-type would be awesome.
[18:44] <the_Bee> Oh. Rhemiothcastle?
[18:44] <derynifanatic64> celtic monks ca 800
[18:44] <Evie> the closest one I could find to Duncan's description is this one, although he doesn't look much like my "mental Duncan," though at least the coloring is better than most:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/220898980572?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
[18:45] <Evie> Oh, the cassockisn't on that page, Bee.  That was just a head sculpt I looked at while shopping for action figure parts
[18:45] <KK> BTW, the darker hair is fine, Evie.  Considerqably better than the original bright blond, which is Alaric-colored.
[18:45] <Jerusha> He looks a little too - mean.
[18:45] <Evie> the cassock is on my project page at http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=844.0
[18:45] <KK> And the miniature tartan is also good.  Standardization is not something that they were much worried about yet.
[18:46] <Evie> The problem with the head sculpts is that they're marketed to people who make customized action figures aimed at the military action figure market and/or the action-adventure hero market
[18:46] <Evie> so you get a lot of scowls
[18:46] <derynifanatic64> Sad
[18:46] <Alkari> Stern Duncan dealing with Aedwige?
[18:47] <the_Bee> who?
[18:47] <Jerusha> More than stern, I think.
[18:47] <Evie> LOL!  That would be "I may be a kind bishop but I'm also Duke Jared McLain's son, and you should have seen HIM in a towering rage!' Duncan's head.  :F
[18:47] <Evie> Cheesy
[18:47] <Evie> the sort of scowl seen just before Rimmell bit the dust
[18:47] <BalanceTheEnergies> We did in DCheckmate.
[18:48] <Evie> or for that matter, that might be the "My name is Duncan, you killed my father, prepare for your hostage to DIE!" look.
[18:48] <Jerusha> I would have liked to know Duke Jared a lttle better.
[18:48] <the_Bee> and Kevin and Bronwyn
[18:49] <BalanceTheEnergies> Perhaps we will in the new book, especially after Kenneth dies...
[18:49] <Jerusha> known
[18:49] <Alkari> Same here, though maybe we see him more in CM3?   Do we, KK?
[18:49] <jemler> KK. Information from Wikipedia re Book of Kells: "A digital copy of the manuscript was produced by Trinity College in 2006. It is available through Trinity College on DVD-Rom. it includes the ability to leaf through each page, 2 pages at a time or look at a single page in a magnified setting. There are also a number of commentary tracks about the specific pages as well as the
[18:49] <jemler> history of the book. Users are given the option to search by specific illuminated categories including animals, capitols and angels. It retails for approximately Euro30."
[18:49] <KK> You'll get to know him better as a younger man in the 3rd CM.
[18:49] <Evie> Even if I keep Duncan's present head (man, that sounds odd!), I might put it on a more poseable body
[18:49] <BalanceTheEnergies> Of course.
[18:49] <Evie> Ooh, more Jared?  Good!
[18:49] <Alkari> Yay!
[18:49] <derynifanatic64> Cheesy
[18:50] <Jerusha> Excellent!
[18:50] <Evie> I could pretty much stand to see more of anyone in the McLain family.  :-)
[18:50] <Evie> or, for that matter, the Arilan family
[18:51] <Evie> LOL!  Maybe i can darken the scowling Jake Gyllenhaal head's hair and violet up his eyes a bit  and make a Denis figure!
[18:51] <BalanceTheEnergies> Well, we know Denis has a temper.
[18:51] <Jerusha> Or the de Corwyns.  Duke Dominic would have been very interesting, I think.
[18:51] <Alkari> Oh no!    * shaked head sadly *
[18:52] <the_Bee> Remind me: what color was Arilans hair?
[18:52] <Jerusha> Black.
[18:52] <Evie> Black, wasn't it?  or at least very dark
[18:52] <Alkari> with Elizabeth Taylor eyes
[18:52] <Evie> I always thought of Elizabeth Taylor coloring, with those eyes and the dark hair
[18:52] <Evie> and then KK had to slap a cassock on him.  So unfair.  Cheesy
[18:53] <Jerusha> Somehow, Denis Arilan with Elizabeth Taylor's eyes is disturbing
[18:53] <derynifanatic64> if Maryse hadn't died
[18:53] <derynifanatic64> who knows
[18:53] <Evie> I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention or something.  Or would be, if it existed in the 12th C and in a different world.  Cheesy
[18:54] <BalanceTheEnergies> @ Jerusha : I think that's part of the charm of the idea, a hint at his power.
[18:55] <Evie> I thought about giving a nod to the short story in which Duncan got married by making his weddiing outfit, but couldn't find a remnant of brown fabric with the right texture at a decent price.
[18:55] * Elim_ (~Elim@510B1D.836244.F06000.D13318) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:55] <Evie> His power to captivate me with those eyes, BTE?  Cheesy
[18:56] <the_Bee> good morning Elim
[18:56] <Evie> Spatula, Elim. ;-)
[18:56] <jemler> hi Elim
[18:56] <Jerusha> Hi Elim
[18:56] <BalanceTheEnergies> Well, Yes. Eyes being the windows of the soul and all that. If you think of Deryni magic as drawing upon the soul.
[18:56] <jojo> My church's Asst. Priest ( ordained last year) is young and handsome...
[18:56] <jojo> Reminds me of Duncan...
[18:57] <the_Bee> RC or Episcopalian?
[18:57] <jojo> But fortunate to be called into the Anglican communion, and happily married
[18:57] <Jerusha> Like John Nivard
[18:57] <Evie> Hm.  Maybe I should move ther...um, never mind. Cheesy
[18:57] <jojo> Episcopalian.
[18:58] <jojo> But a fantastic voice... singing the service.
[18:58] <Jerusha> Oops, obviously John Nivard is NOT married.
[18:58] <Evie> I used to have a pastor who looked a lot like I imagine Grown Up Kelson, or perhaps a clean shaven Brion or Nigel
[18:58] * Elim (~Elim@survival.is.preparedness) Quit ( Ping timeout: 121 seconds )
[18:58] <jojo> I think of Duncan having a good voice.
[18:58] <BalanceTheEnergies> Yes, especially given the singing of the Adsum in KKB
[18:58] <Jerusha> Must go - almost time for Once Upon a Time
[18:59] <derynifanatic64> me too--same reason
[18:59] <the_Bee> Rhys Thuryn had a good singing voice in the story whre he dedicated his son Tieg as a Healer.
[18:59] * Jerusha (Mibbit@OWIRCN-a06cb5f6.dsl.bell.ca) Quit ( Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client )
[18:59] <KK> Oooo, Oooo, it is!  Gotta run too!
[18:59] <derynifanatic64> night all
[18:59] <KK> See you next week.
[18:59] <Evie> Good night!
[18:59] <Alkari> Bye KK
[18:59] <Evie> Glad to see you this week
[18:59] * derynifanatic64 (Mibbit@F8E647.70AEDE.F99969.D437C6) Quit ( Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client )
[18:59] <BalanceTheEnergies> Bye KK and thanks
[18:59] * KK leaps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:00] <jemler> once upon a time!
[19:00] <jojo> Have a productive week, KK.
[19:00] <Evie> LOL!  All the Once Upon a Time fans fleeing like lemmings into the sea
[19:00] <KK> Nighters!
[19:00] * KK Quit ( Quit: )
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)