• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 153
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146
Google (5)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Here is Alicia in her lab coat:

20170922_081235 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And her ID badge (still in progress):

20170922_131553 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made a few spare copies in case I ruin one or two while trying to attach some sort of fastener to it. I am thinking a round flat bead with an eye pin through it to hang the badge from might serve to look like one of those clip-on badge holders that people attach to a collar or pocket.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Both ladies are looking great in their work attire.
I can well imagine Dr. Heather being called into the  operating room from time to time, to heal during high risk surgeries. Imagine being fully healed when you leave there and the patient then well only require a day or two of rest before he/she is fully recovered.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Nicely done.  If I have to go to emergency, I hope one of our lady Healers is on call.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Those of you who were at Sunday chat this past weekend or read the chat transcript might have seen this already, but I found the materials to make this diorama flooring at, of all places, Dollar Tree:

(Non-Deryni doll included to give a sense of scale.)

The dimensions of that flooring pattern (actually it's meant to be a stick-on backsplash to put on your kitchen wall, but I can't imagine it being heavy duty enough to last more than a few weeks at that purpose!) are just over half the size of what the floor space would need to be for a "Duncan's Study" diorama, so I went back last night and bought two more sheets of it, along with two more pieces of foamcore board to mount it on.  I plan to duct tape the two pieces of foamcore board together edge to edge with long sides together to make a floor that is just a little over 30" x 24" when I'm done, which for 1:6 scale action figures would be a 15' x 12' room.  Since Duncan's study is meant to be "about five paces long and four paces wide," I figure that works out at least roughly to scale.

If I simply stick the patterned foil sheets to the foamcore board edge to edge at the seam as-is, there would be an odd tile pattern bisecting the middle of the room. I don't think Duncan wants to set up his study in a room whose flooring looks like the marble equivalent of a Ping Pong table!  But I should have enough leeway to be able to cut the border "tiles" off both sheets along one long edge, resulting in a floor that only has the black border tiles around the outer periphery of the room.  The pattern doesn't match up in the middle entirely seamlessly if I do that, but seamlessly enough that with a bit of furniture over it, the seam shouldn't stand out all that much, I hope.

I also found this, which might make nice flooring for another area of the Basilica or one of the palace rooms: 

However, KK liked the black and white floor better for Duncan's study, so that's what I'm going with.

And speaking of my little bishop, here he is dressed for Halloween:

He wanted to just call his bishop's cassock a Halloween costume, but I told him he needed to put a bit more effort into it than that, so here's his last minute attempt at dressing up as the Star of Bethlehem.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Nice black and white flooring,  ;D  I am glad KK chose that one for Duncan's study. I like it too. The tiles will be perfect lengths to match Alaric's long stride while pacing the floor during those trying times.  ;)

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on November 01, 2017, 11:29:08 PM
Nice black and white flooring,  ;D  I am glad KK chose that one for Duncan's study. I like it too. The tiles will be perfect lengths to match Alaric's long stride while pacing the floor during those trying times.  ;)

I like the pinkish flooring too, but I think the black-and-white is probably more realistic for a medieval floor.  (They're both very pretty; I just think the pink one is a little modern in its aesthetic.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on November 02, 2017, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: Laurna on November 01, 2017, 11:29:08 PM

I like the pinkish flooring too, but I think the black-and-white is probably more realistic for a medieval floor.  (They're both very pretty; I just think the pink one is a little modern in its aesthetic.)

Marble in all of its natural colors, including pink, would have been used for building materials throughout the medieval period (especially in buildings such as cathedrals, basilicas, and palaces whose builders could afford the finest of stonework), although elaborate earthenware tile floors seem to have been more the norm. You can see rose-pink marble used in Westminster Abbey's beautiful Cosmati Pavement, though, and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome features a fair bit of it too, although I'm not sure how much of the stonework was updated in later centuries or if it is all original to the building.

Now granted, the exact layout of the pink marble in the Dollar Tree adhesive foil panel is fairly common to a lot of modern buildings today.  Medieval cathedral and church floors often tend to be a bit "busier," like this one:

I would expect Duncan's flooring to have a simpler pattern, given that it's in a private study rather than in the public part of the Basilica, yet because it's in a basilica that is connected to a royal castle, maybe not too simple either.  So I think either the pink or the black/white flooring could work for the purpose, but the black/white floor feels--I dunno, more utilitarian, maybe, and therefore better suited to the purpose?  Not to mention the light/dark associations that might be called to mind for a Deryni bishop using that space as his private getaway.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

I didn't phrase that well.

It's not that the color of the pink "marble" laminate is out of period, because of course it is within period.  It's the aesthetic that feels pretty modern, not the color itself.  The style of the black and white just feels more medieval.  ;D

I'm not sure how to quantify why, because I'm tired and unwell today.  :(
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

MidnightBlue

Quote from: DesertRose on November 02, 2017, 11:25:40 AM

Sorry to hear (read?) that.  Just got back from the doctor's myself.  (The dang pharmacy didn't have my ear drop steroids in stock either...so I have to get them tomorrow.  Doh!)

Get well soon!

MidnightBlue

I am soooo not a hobbyist or craft-person...and I'm envious of those that are.  Your stuff looks great Evie!

Hey Evie...if you ever get in a mindset to start miniatures painting, I'd LOVE to help you get going.  I've probably got around 1000 miniatures just waiting for someone to want to paint them ranging from 6mm to 28mm scale.

I WANT to enjoy the assembly/painting process and I've tried, but I just don't.  The time spent painting my minis is time that I can't spend playing the minis' games.

So just let me know if you are looking for more craft projects.  I'll help as best I can.

;D ;D ;D

Evie

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 02, 2017, 04:51:46 PM
I am soooo not a hobbyist or craft-person...and I'm envious of those that are.  Your stuff looks great Evie!

Hey Evie...if you ever get in a mindset to start miniatures painting, I'd LOVE to help you get going.  I've probably got around 1000 miniatures just waiting for someone to want to paint them ranging from 6mm to 28mm scale.

I WANT to enjoy the assembly/painting process and I've tried, but I just don't.  The time spent painting my minis is time that I can't spend playing the minis' games.

So just let me know if you are looking for more craft projects.  I'll help as best I can.

;D ;D ;D

LOL! I am up to my EARS in crafts projects right now!  ;D

See, just a few years ago I wasn't an artsy-craftsy sort at all. But then I decided to make an action figure of my favorite Deryni character.  Just one.  But then of course he needed his cousin.  And it didn't make sense for them to both be there, but not the King.  And then once I had those, they needed other loved ones...argh! And since I am making medieval figures in 1:6 scale (Barbie, Ken, GI Joe size), there's not a lot of affordable costumes and props out there in that size, so I've learned to make them myself. And of course they need furniture and backdrops. *pulls out hair*

Now that my son has left home, I've turned his room into a dedicated craft room, but I still don't have enough space!

The next to last time I did any gaming miniatures painting, I was pregnant with my firstborn (who is now 22).  Then I didn't have time to do it for a while, but I finally got back into it when I was pregnant with my second child (now 20).  I don't dare paint miniature figures again. At my age, I don't want a third child!  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

MidnightBlue

Ha!

I don't remember ever hearing about THAT method in Health/Sex-Ed class!

No wonder I don't want to paint miniatures.  I can barely take care of myself, let alone a kid!  Keep those paints away from me!!!

;D

Jerusha

Although I adore His Grace of Corwyn, I do NOT want to be a fly on that wall!   :o

Oops, I posted this to the wrong topic!  This was supposed to be under Portal Erratica.

I should have had my coffee, first.  Mea culpa.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 02, 2017, 01:37:51 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on November 02, 2017, 11:25:40 AM

Sorry to hear (read?) that.  Just got back from the doctor's myself.  (The dang pharmacy didn't have my ear drop steroids in stock either...so I have to get them tomorrow.  Doh!)

Get well soon!

Thank you.  :)