• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

New to this board, Old to Deryni fandom

Started by Laurna, September 30, 2012, 05:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

I want to say hello to everyone on this forum. I'm new here. Just found it a few weeks ago.

I started reading the Deryni Series in 1979, found it in the high school library, (yes, I'm no longer young). Over the decades I have read the whole series repeatedly. This last reading this summer got me looking through the internet for like minded folk. So I just wanted to say hello.

Now, I rediscovered a story I had written eight years ago asking and answering a question I had. The last two months I have rewritten it and edited it to the best of my ability. I do not consider myself a writer, but I love to write every evening when the house hold goes to bed. I have done this for decades. I consider it my time. I have never before shared my writings with anyone. That is until I finished this story and showed it to a friend; she loved it. I see that this web site has a section for fan fiction. I'm not sure I am brave enough to submit it. We will just have to see. Meanwhile, I have enjoyed reading other peoples entries. 

So once again, I will say hello to everyone here.
Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Welcome!  Yes, please do submit a story or twelve to the Fanfic board; we'd love to see them!  There is also a Katherine Kurtz fanfic section on Fanfiction.net.  All of my stories are posted here first, but because many people find it easier to read multi-chapter stories on a site designed specifically for posting stories on (with a pull-down menu to get to each subsequent chapter), I'm in the process of cross-posting them there also (in the Books > Katherine Kurtz section).  You'll find that the majority of the people here also discovered KK's books as they first came out, so you're just as young as many of us here, and possibly younger than some.

If you would feel more confident in posting your story (or stories) if someone else proofreads them first, I've beta-read stories for a few people, and there may be others here willing to give them a test read as well.  And if you catch people in the chatroom, sometimes you can find someone there to brainstorm ideas with you.  I wouldn't suggest doing that during the weekly KK's chats on Sunday evenings, but if you find someone in the chatroom at other times (for instance, I'm often in there on weekday afternoons), that might be a good time.

Have fun exploring the Forum, and I hope to see more posts from you soon!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Welcome Laurna!  Posting that first fanfic is scary, but you'll find us to be a supportive group, and I look forward to reading your story!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

I'm also available for beta-ing.  Ex English teacher.

Laurna

Hello everyone thanks for saying hello back.

Hi Evie- I have read a few of your stories so far and have greatly enjoyed them. I might take you up on beta reading if your interested. It is a romance involving Richenda and Alaric with historical content of the Earls of Lendour. I think its a fun tell. I, of course, may be jaded about that. It's about 40,000 words, so not novel length but not short either.  I have to look it over again first though.

Hi Jerusha- Wow scary is an understatement. After I made this post yesterday  I spent the rest of the day wanting to delete it. Lol. I can't believe I even admit to  anyone that I love to write.

Hi Elkhound- I might take you up on the beta reading as well. I was a math and science student in college. So I love my word processor for finding English errors. lol  Hope that does not frighten you off.

Evie

I would be glad to take a look at it, as long as you don't need me to do so and send back a commented copy immediately.  This week is both the first week of my office's new fiscal year, and also I'm training a new employee, and on the home front my husband is having minor surgery in mid-week.  That said, I will still have time to read a manuscript during my free moments--in fact, it might be a great way to keep my mind occupied as I'm sitting around in the hospital with nothing to do while Hubby gets his kneecap poked and prodded--but I can't vouch for a prompt turn-around time on my comments this week.  If you don't mind getting feedback for a week or three, though, I'd love to look over what you've got.

I usually use MS Word or OpenOffice for beta-reading and commenting, since both programs have a feature that will let me highlight specific phrases or punctuation marks and make marginal notes on how I would change them.  (I'm an educator at heart; rather than just rewriting someone else's work, I prefer to explain where and why I believe a change is necessary and then let you make the final judgment as to what you want to change and what you want to leave as-is.)  But I've also used Google Docs, or if there is some other method you would prefer, just let me know.  As Jerusha can tell you, I'm pretty gentle in my critiques, unless I'm dealing with someone I already know is a rhino-hide and wants a no-holds-barred critique.   :D  I also administer occasional tender and loving butt-kicks as required, as Annie--who used to whinge off-list that she was "pants" as a writer and that no one would ever like her stories--can attest to.  (When will the next chapter of Jon's story go up already, Annie?  Your complete and total lack of readers here are avidly awaiting the next post from you....  *raised eyebrow and failed attempt at a stern look*)  Stories can be emailed to me at mail2evie at yahoo dot com.

Oh, and btw, 40K words used to be considered novel length back in the day.  It's just that modern-day novels tend to run closer to 80K to 100K words, with quite a few going even longer than that.  Compare the thickness of paperback books from the mid-1900s to the ones coming out nowadays and you'll see the difference.   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Yes, Evie is quite gentle.  She didn't consider shredding my first fanfic, even after she pointed out the "heard of horses" prancing about.   :D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Is that a herd of horses over there?

Eh?  What's that?  Of course I've heard of horses!

No, I asked if that was a herd of them.

What?  Have I ever heard of them?  You asked me that already!  Are you hard of hearing too?

No, just visually impaired.

Sounds like an old vaudeville comedy routine.  :D

--WARNING!!!--

bronwynevaine

Go ahead and post your story, Laurna, they--the regulars--are a very good audience. And welcome to the forum--from an irregular  ;D
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

bronwynevaine

The herd/heard of horses as vaudeville reminds me of Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirate's of Penzance

I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

Often!

Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what is is to be one?

I say, often.

I saw a wonderful production of the operetta this summer...

yES, ORPHAN.
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Laurna

Hi Bronwynevaine,

I have been talking on and off with Evie for the last month. She has been a wonderfully inspiration. I'm afraid my grammatical errors are a horror to see. So I've been rewriting frantically. I still don't have it right.

I just like everyone to know how great Evie has been.

Thank you

Jerusha

-- Old English Litany

Evie

*blush*

Y'all are just being nice 'cuz it's my birthday and you want a second slice of cake....   ;)  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Happy Birthday!

AnnieUK

Just wait till the gloves come off. She can be very "persuasive"!

* Still in denial about chat last night *