• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 367
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 08:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Visiting the Eleven Kingdoms!!

Started by derynifanatic64, January 10, 2008, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

Has anyone ever wished that they could actually travel to Gwynedd?  Meet Kelson, Alaric, Duncan?  I wish I could.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Shiral

Judging from my well-thumbed copy of "Baedekker's Torenth" and "Fodor's Gwynedd and Bremagne 2008", yes.  :)

Just hope to avoid going in a plague year,  and I'd just as soon skip getting to know Hubert or Loris.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JulianneTK

Gosh, yes, I wish I could!  But I am all for the slightly rougher time period, the "land of contrasts and perhaps contradictions" that is Gwynedd in the early 900s.  :)
blessed be, Julianne

Obiwan3

Yeah, I'd like to go see Alaric's time. A little safer to be Deryni. The Regents of the early 900's were too uber-rotten. Cinhil made some poor choices.
Kelson & Alaric's time seems almost Renaissance-like. An awakening. Things are looking up, but one still needed to be careful. I'd give it a shot.

derynifanatic64

I would like to visit Gwynedd during the reign of Augarin Haldane so I could meet Orin.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

JulianneTK

oooooohhhhh---yeah!  Meet Orin... and Jodotha... Now *that* sounds like fun!

Elkhound

What about after Kelson's time, perhaps taking it into the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries?  Would there be an 'age of exploration', with Gwynned and some of the other Western countries sending explorers out into the ocean?  Would they find that world's equivalent to the Americas?  Are there Native American Dernyi?

JulianneTK

Now there's an interesting idea.  We have no reason to believe that Deryniness is limited to Western European types. So, one wonders what's going on on the North American continent...

I can certainly imagine Deryni explorers, too.  Imagine the European Deryni meeting Native American Deryni... Would Deryni talents have affected what came next in our history? Or better yet, *how* would Deryni talents have affected relations between the two cultural groups and how would subsequent history have changed or not?

DesertRose

That sounds like an excellent premise for a fanfic, Julianne! :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Quote from: JulianneTK on June 29, 2008, 06:07:52 PM
Now there's an interesting idea.  We have no reason to believe that Deryniness is limited to Western European types. So, one wonders what's going on on the North American continent...

I can certainly imagine Deryni explorers, too.  Imagine the European Deryni meeting Native American Deryni... Would Deryni talents have affected what came next in our history? Or better yet, *how* would Deryni talents have affected relations between the two cultural groups and how would subsequent history have changed or not?

We've only seen Deryniness explored through Abrahamic spiritual traditions (Christian and Islamic; no Jewish Deryni yet, although it would be interesting to see what a Deryni student of Kabbalah might accomplish).  It would be interesting to see what Hindu or Buddhist Dernyi would come up with.

tenworld

isnt it implied in the Camber books that the Deryni genes originated in the north (more or less the Scandanavian analog) sometime around the early centuries CE? so it wouldn't necessarily be found in every human ethnic group.

Although the Vikings did get around a lot (Normandy, Sicily, Ireland, Russia, Turkey, North America) so maybe the dragon ships were the deryni vector?

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on July 03, 2008, 01:45:44 PM
isnt it implied in the Camber books that the Deryni genes originated in the north (more or less the Scandanavian analog) sometime around the early centuries CE? so it wouldn't necessarily be found in every human ethnic group.

That's what was believed, but that isn't necessarily what was so.

Elkhound

I've been toying with a Deryni/Harry Potter crossover.  What if the HP Wizardling World is what the Deryni have turned into in our time?

Under another name, I've written some fanfiction for the TV series "The Sentinel", and I've thought of doing a Deryni/Sentinel crossover, postulating that Sentinels are human and Guides are Deryni--given that KK's main point seems to be that humans and Deryni need to learn to live and work together, it sounds like a good tie in.  I'd put it in the post-Ramos era, when we had 'tame Deryni' doing things like truthreading with their close kin as hostages.  I'd have Blair as one such, with Naomi as hostage.  Brackett would fit quite well among the Lords Regent.

JulianneTK

Quote from: DesertRose on June 29, 2008, 09:19:02 PM
That sounds like an excellent premise for a fanfic, Julianne! :D

Oh, heavens, what have I done?! 
;)

JulianneTK

There are a couple of really good stories in some of the "Deryni Archives the Zine" about Jewish Deryni...  There's an excellent one in Deryni Tales, too (the paperback book).

We've only seen Deryniness explored through Abrahamic spiritual traditions (Christian and Islamic; no Jewish Deryni yet, although it would be interesting to see what a Deryni student of Kabbalah might accomplish).  It would be interesting to see what Hindu or Buddhist Dernyi would come up with.
[/quote]