• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which fantasy world would you live in?

Started by AnnieUK, September 12, 2012, 02:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

Someone just asked on Twitter which fantasy world people would live in given a chance. They said one, but I don't think I could restrict myself to one!

So, if Gwynedd (or Torenth, if you are that way inclined) is a given, where else would you live? Or visit, if staying forever doesn't appeal?

For me, I'd have to visit Middle Earth. I was a total Tolkien geek during my teens and I'd love to visit Hobbiton, Lothlorien, etc.  I'd give Pern a whirl too, but not to be a dragonrider. I was always a Harper Hall kinda girl and loved Sebell, so I'd hang with the harpers and acquire a fire lizard or two, I think.

I was trying to stick to three, but now I find myself unable to choose between Terre d'Ange, Scadrial and Camorr. So I'll dither for a bit longer.

How about everyone else?

Evie

I think we may possibly share a brain, because those first three picks (including Gwynedd) were the first to leap to my mind as well.  I might also add Narnia and the Star Wars universe, but only if I also had access to a fast ship like the Millennium Falcon for that last one.  (I consider Star Wars and other "space opera" genre stories to be more fantasy than actual science fiction.)  I'd also say the Kamesh, though I don't expect anyone else here to recognize that one, since I haven't got the manuscript whipped into publication-ready shape yet.   ;)  And maybe the Miles Vorkosigan universe as well, though again, it's more on the SF side than fantasy in the conventional sense.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Festil would gladly go live in Torenth.  Also pretty much anywhere in Middle-Earth.

Hmm.  I would visit Gwynedd but I think I would miss mod cons.  See also Middle-Earth, particularly Rivendell and Lothlorien.

When I was a kid, I used to dream of living in the prehistoric age as recounted by Jean M. Auel, but I was a weird kid.  I'm still so disappointed with the final book in that series that I don't think I'd want to live there, but it deserves a mention anyway.

I would also gladly live in Bast'renjh, but nobody here with the possible exception of TheDeryni (if he remembers) will know what I'm talking about, a la Evie and the Kamesh.

I would also totally live in the Firefly world.  Just sayin'.  :P  I'd prefer that to Star Wars, although, being the age I am, Star Wars was important to my formative years.

I would totally visit Terre d'Ange, especially if there were a chance of getting to talk to the characters.  :)

This is a tough question, Annie.  I get really emotionally invested with well-written fiction, and I (obviously) can't confine myself to just one, or even just three.  LOL

ETA:  Can't believe I forgot Harry Potter.  I would totally have gone to Hogwarts if I'd gotten an owl at age 11.  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

derynifanatic64

I would like to visit the Star Trek universe.  I would also like to visit Narnia in its early years before Jadis took over.  I would also like to visit Charn before Jadis used the Deplorable Word and killed everyone but herself.  And I would like to visit Gwynedd in their version of the 21st century.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

cynicalmedic

Gwynedd would be a must, followed by Middle Earth, Earthsea, and Keltia.
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?
David Gilmour/Richard Wright/Nick Mason

Elkhound

Gwynned--or one of the neighboring countries--is a given. 

Middle Earth, Narnia, Valdemar.  Perhaps also Videssos.

kirienne (RIP)

I would love to spend a lot of time in Middle-earth, especially in Rivendell and Lothlorien. I'd spend time in Rohan with Eomer King, and of course some time in Gondor with King Elessar. 

AnnieUK

I'd forgotten Narnia! :o But I think I'd stick with my choices anyway. Looks like Middle Earth wins hands down, with Pern, Terre d'Ange and Narnia slugging it out for the remaining slots.

Jerusha

It would be Gwynedd and old Mooryn for me, though there was a time I would have liked to visit Yiktor from Andre Norton's Moon of Three Rings.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

tenworld

As interesting as Corwyn would be (and I would be looking for the secret chambers), even with Deryni powers, its still the middle ages with all the bad stuff like plague, out door plumbing, and cold castles. Now if you could bring a set of encyclopedias and not be viewed as a Cassandra, and enable the Enlightenment then it might be fun.

But for pure Joy of living I think Rivendell would be hard to top.  Of course being a dragon rider in Pern would have its own set of rewards too.

Shiral

Just give me furry feet and call me a hobbit--I want to move into Bag End.   :D

Rivendell, Lothlorien, Minas Tirith,  yes, I'd want to visit them all. But I think living among enigmatic elves who were all taller, slimmer and more beautiful than me  would get old pretty soon however much I'd like to learn Elvish. (Especially since  it seems to me that for all their aloof appeal, as a race, the elves have a serious superiority complex.) Hobbits are refreshingly jolly and down to earth, they throw good parties, the houses would be comfortable  and the food would be good. If I lived with Bilbo and Frodo, I'd have companions with good stories to tell,  who understand that sometimes, it's invigorating to go on a long adventure and that complete respectability is over-rated. 

I wouldn't mind living among the Rohirrim and having a good horse, though!

I wouldn't mind living on Pern as a dragon rider, either.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

At 6'1", I'd be way too tall to live among Hobbits and way too short to live among Elves or Numenoreans.