• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 364
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 94
Total: 95
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deryni roads

Started by derynifanatic64, March 19, 2012, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: tenworld on July 25, 2012, 10:14:32 AM
So why are Morgan horses called that? Were they bred in Wales?

No, they're named for Justin Morgan, who originated the breed in the US.  (That is to say, all of the current "Morgans" were descended from his favorite stallion, and obviously not from Mr. Morgan himself!  :D)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Morgan
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

well, KK had us believing for awhile that Morgan was the King's bastard, and Corwin is basically a seaport, so maybe thats where she derived the name.

I still like the idea of Morgan having Skelkie blood.

(It is said that Skelkies are such wonderful lovers that once you have been with one, you can't ever be satisfied with a human.  This applies to both male & female Skelkies.)

the Bee

well, KK had us believing for awhile that Morgan was the King's bastard, and Corwin is basically a seaport, so maybe thats where she derived the name.

So why are Morgan horses called that? Were they bred in Wales?
Morgan horses originated in Vermont.  They're all descended from one stallion owned by a man named Justin Morgan who lived in Vermont during the late 18th or early 19th century.  My aunt once gave me a book called "Justin Morgan had a Horse"; it was a fictionalized version of the story.

Alkari

Very useful all-round horses.  I could see Alaric getting a Morgan-type horse for Brendan once the kid is older and has graduated from ponies. 

Elkhound

Quote from: the Bee on July 29, 2012, 08:16:33 PMMorgan horses originated in Vermont.  They're all descended from one stallion owned by a man named Justin Morgan who lived in Vermont during the late 18th or early 19th century.  My aunt once gave me a book called "Justin Morgan had a Horse"; it was a fictionalized version of the story.

I think it was made into a movie.