• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161
Facebook External hit (5)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Bizarre Cover Art

Started by Evie, July 09, 2012, 12:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Having just purchased a new Kindle Touch, I decided to see which of KK's books might be available in Kindle's format.  When I looked up High Deryni, I came upon a listing of these disturbing German (I think?) book covers which I am assuming are from the original trilogy (DR, DC, and HD):

German Deryni covers by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

What.  The.  Flying.  Fragonard?!?!?!   :o   

Were there really that many naked ladies in KK's entire Deryni corpus?  Aside from in Kelson's and Dhugal's blessedly undocumented wet dreams, that is?  And is that meant to be Saint Camber on the first cover or the Grim Reaper?  And who is that male figure on the other covers?  Kelson?  Was he that buff and that bearded at fourteen years old?!  I needn't ask if the artist even read the books--I think the answer to that is obvious--but was he even breathing the same planetary atmosphere as the author?   ;D

Wow.  Just...wow.   I swear I will never, ever complain about the most recent update to the US edition of Deryni Checkmate again!  I can live with Duncan looking like an overweight Alec Baldwin, truly I can.

* Evie wanders back to Amazon giggling, wondering what other baffling cover art might be on offer
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

derynifanatic64

They look like a XXX version of the Deryni XI Kingdoms.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Jerusha

The second cover could be Kevin and Bronwyn, but I don't think the scene in the garden was quite like that!  :o
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Those look more like covers for John Norman than KK.  However, no more bizzare than the covers for the first US paperbacks of THE HOBBIT.

Evie

Deryni Warriors of Gor?  Holy moly, what a concept!   :o

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

We'd better ask KK if there are a few versions of the books that we don't know about!!   

Evie

Deryni Warriors of Gor sounds like a crossover fanfic parody I'd be itching to write, except for two things.  Firearms are legally obtainable in the US, so I'd want to put an ocean or two between myself and KK first, not to mention changing my name and moving to a remote, inaccessible island where no one could find me, which would undoubtedly put an end to my internet access.  And secondly, I'd have to do my research and read the Gor novels first.  I'm not sure which of those two would be more horrific.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Someone did write a play called "Free Amazons of Gor", in which Marion Zimmer Bradley & John Norman got together to write a novel together.  MZB was still alive, and gave her permission; I don't know about Norman (or his estate--I'm not sure if he's still around, or when he died.)  I've never seen or read it, but I'm told it is very funny.  (And no, it doesn't involve one strangling the other, surprisingly enough.)

derynifanatic64

According to Wikipedia, John Norman (born John Frederick Lange, Jr.) is still alive at the age of 81.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

tenworld

Conan the Deryni Barbarian?

Elkhound

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on July 10, 2012, 03:17:52 AM
According to Wikipedia, John Norman (born John Frederick Lange, Jr.) is still alive at the age of 81.

Again, I don't know if the authors of the play--which I have never seen or read (it is unpublished, and was only performed once by a community theatre group in Berkeley, CA)--contacted Mr. Norman for permission.  The article I read about it did say that MZB did approve it--and thought it was very funny.  (So, perhaps KK wouldn't be as adverse to the crossover parody as you think.)

Evie

That still wouldn't address my second point of having to actually read at least one or two Gor books in order to do a decently researched parody.  *shudder*  Having met a few gung-ho Goreans in Second Life and at the SCA Pennsic War, I'm blissfully content with not acquiring a deeper knowledge of the Gor mythos.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Maybe we've accidentally discovered where Ariella and Imre have ended up?  :D

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on July 10, 2012, 11:14:18 AM
That still wouldn't address my second point of having to actually read at least one or two Gor books in order to do a decently researched parody.  *shudder*  Having met a few gung-ho Goreans in Second Life and at the SCA Pennsic War, I'm blissfully content with not acquiring a deeper knowledge of the Gor mythos.   :D

The last Gor book I read was when I was about 15; even then there were lots of aspects that disturbed me, although I liked the stories.   I don't think I could bring myself to read them again.

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on July 10, 2012, 05:53:28 PMMaybe we've accidentally discovered where Ariella and Imre have ended up?  :D

Interesting theory.