• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Wish that there were more uploads to FanFiction.Net

Started by Marko, July 06, 2012, 04:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

I find the format there much easier to read, since I can go from chapter to chapter much easier than I can here. 

Evie

I looked into putting mine on there back when I only had a story or two, but I had a major problem with how fanfiction.net's formatting looked on my computer.  I think that problem has since cleared up, but now I've got several novella and novel length works, which makes me less than eager to try uploading them a chapter at a time on another site and having to reformat them all over again.  Though if it's possible for me to do so and keep italics and paragraph indents intact with a copy/paste, I might consider doing so someday, though probably not all at once.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I have just opened an account on Fanfiction.net, but there is a two day wait (to discourage spammers) before I can upload anything there.  I'm willing to try reposting a test story or two there to start out with, and then if the upload goes well, I'll add some others later whenever time permits, if there's enough of an interested readership there to make re-uploading them worthwhile. 

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

OK, I have uploaded Sophie's, Celsie's, and Ailidh's intro stories to Fanfiction.Net, and will follow them up with Maidens of Mayhem once I find time to chop that novel-length manuscript up into 30 single-serving chapters that their uploader will allow me to upload.  Once I see if there is any reader interest in those, I'll consider uploading the rest of the collection as time permits.  No comments, no future uploads, since uploading the long stories a chapter at a time takes a fair bit of time for me, so I'm not going to be very invested in the process unless I know there are interested readers there.  So for those of you interested in seeing my stories uploaded to Fanfiction.Net as well as here, take that as a huge hint.   Let. Me. Know. Someone. Is. Actually. Reading. Them. :D  Observant readers might notice other familiar stories and/or forum member logon names already appearing in the Katherine Kurtz section of that website, so comment on those too.  Spread the love.  ;)

I hope, if there are any readers here who are/were hesitant to tackle any of my longer stories because of the inherent difficulties in picking up where you left off in the middle of a novella or novel sized work posted to a forum board format, that you'll find the Fanfiction.net format a lot easier to follow along in.  I still intend to use this as my primary site-of-preference for future story uploads, given that I've pretty much got a guaranteed reading audience for Deryni stories on a Deryni fan forum, but if I see interest in having them archived at Fanfiction.net as well, I'll consider that my secondary backup archive.

For those of you who have followed along with my story arc from the beginning and who might be wondering why I didn't lead off with Anamchara, there are two reasons.  Primarily, it's got a very different style format to it than my later stories, and I'm still working out the best way to translate that to Fanfiction.net's prescribed uploading style.  Also, it's just got a different "feel" to it than the others.  So I will let the selection above set the overall tone for my story arc, and then add Anamchara to the general collection a little later (once I figure out how to separate the current POV-centered "parts" into more conventional length "chapters"), since a familiarity with certain events in that story is fairly essential to understanding other events occurring later in the overall story arc.

--WARNING!!!--

Marko

I have read all the stories that you have uploaded so far to FanFiction.net.  Great to see that Derry got married.  Dhugal needs heirs for Cassan and Kierney.  BTW how do you pronounce Ailidh?

Evie

You can thank AnnieUK for Ailidh's name, since she supplied it when I was trying to come up with a suitable name for the character.  I think she said it's pronounced something like "Ay-lee," rhyming more or less with the name "Kaylee."  At least that's how I've been pronouncing it in my mind ever since.

And just keep reading the stories; you'll find that I've given Dhugal a rather...eventful...love life....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Marko

Apparently it's one of those Irish or Welsh Gaelic names that are pronounced totally different than the spelling would lead one to think.  Thanks.  And I will keep reading.

Elkhound

So many of the writers on ff.net make me want to reach through the screen and slap them upside the head with a grammar book.  Not, of course, anyone also on this board--but, alas, some who post in this fandom there.

Marko

I tend to agree.  It seems that basic grammar is not taught much in school these days.  That being said, however, I do find that many of the well thought out stories have authors with at least a rudimentary understanding of English grammar.

Elkhound

If not slap them upside the head with a grammar book, at least give them a link to Holy Mother Grammatica.

Marko

The ten that I've read so far have been great.  Waiting for the 11th with baited breath.  Just hope that Mirjana gets to be Duchess of Cassan longer than Catriona.

Evie

LOL!  Well, I can assure you at least that she's still around in my (currently simmering on the back burner while too much real life is happening for me to attend to it properly) half-written 1145-1146 story that I've sloooooowly been writing about Duncan Michael, if that helps.   :)

--WARNING!!!--

DoctorM

I hope we can encourage more people to upload stories here. I love reading good fanfic at the boards.

Laurna

Two of my stories are there. And once in a while I look to see if anyone has looked at them. I get a hit every couple of months. What I find is that some one will look at chapter 1 and then maybe chapter 5 and then the last chapter. I won't say what I construe from that, but it just makes me shrug my shoulders and think but you missed the best chapter. I have not seen anyone hit every chapter in years. So either I need to write better ( like yah!) or write shorter (like yah!) but there it is. LOL  Happily it is not my day job and I am fine with it.   
Posting on this forum is much more personal and rewarding. You get feed back here from people doing the same thing as you, it is more like a writing workshop. and the people here are like minded and enjoy the subject matter. Much more fun.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Nezz